'19 CB S Anthony Harris (UT commit 6/8/18)

From Griddie on Volquest: Harris is preparing for ACT on Feb. 9. He needs just a few more points. A blue shirt from what I’m told. Yes, Pruitt has a plan set up. UNC was the only threat and they could not flip him.
Really good news. It was trending heavily towards UNC for a while.

Reactions: swchandler1988
Really good news. It was trending heavily towards UNC for a while.
I think it's likely Harris looked at the success of Bryce Thompson, who it looked like wasn't going to qualify, but CJP got him and he's freshman All-America, and it made him comfortable with the idea of blueshirting. If we finish with Darnell, To'oto'o, and Harris, that'll be huge. It'll give us the best class probably since the Fullmer era. Man, GBO!

That was more UNC mods talking. Mack got here and went straight to him and they expected him to fall at his feet and flip and come to school with his teammate Spottsville. But it didn’t happen. He never really waivered.
Gotcha. The rumors I had heard were that 1) Tennessee was backing off due to grades and 2) UNC was coming hard. Talked to one of my Knoxville media buddies and he said they weren’t even counting Harris as a commit anymore.

Good to know this is getting straightened out. He’s a good player.

It’s in his court now. He needs to take care of business. UT has stood by him. He’s got a plan in place he just has to get it done.

Thanks for the information. I am assuming that since he is a blueshirt, if he does not get in, we will not be signing anyone to replace him?

If Harris didn't make it, then we'd simply get by having to blueshirt 1 less guy next year, ie we could sign 25 the next year with having to blueshirt 1 less. Our max is 25 for 2020 regardless, just a matter of how many blueshirts we'd have to create to hit that number.

OF COURSE he could always realize he has no chance before August and a Bryce or transfer pops up willing to blueshirt. Crazier things have happened.

I must not understand the rules. Couldn’t we just make him a blueshirt and recruit one less guy this year, then we could roll that one spot forward into next year? Wouldn’t that balance it out as if he had been in this class?

I must not understand the rules. Couldn’t we just make him a blueshirt and recruit one less guy this year, then we could roll that one spot forward into next year? Wouldn’t that balance it out as if he had been in this class?

Can't blueshirt (push forward the IC) unless your current spots are all filled. Not sure what the purpose would be either.

But we can ask him to stay nonrecruited and sign after practice begins either way. Certainly an interesting idea to mitigate risk with signing numbers. Blueshirts used to be used for oversigning. That isn't possible anymore, but this could be an interesting new usage. New signing rules make non-qualifiers much more sensitive.

That was more UNC mods talking. Mack got here and went straight to him and they expected him to fall at his feet and flip and come to school with his teammate Spottsville. But it didn’t happen. He never really waivered.

Any truth to the rumors on the UNC 247 board about him other issues besides grades?

Hang in there with this one if he is willing to hang in there with us. Good player with good upside from a school who provides good players at times who are willing to be Vols.

Reactions: Billy Antrim
Well one poster on here made it sound like you can only blueshirt ahead whatever number you blueshirted the year before. So the first year we don't blueshirt anybody that will be a permanent solution to the problem and we can just cut up our credit card. I think the number right now is 2.
that would be interesting if true. no clue who is right. no saying anyone is wrong, but not everyone can be right.

But how many blueshirts are we really doing this year? 1? 2? Better than last year and getting out of the borrowing model.

And in this case, don't think of it as borrowing. Teams have a strict signing number, so every single one has value. Is it not better to have surety so we don't lose one rather than being fearful of borrowing ahead? One is definitely worse than the other.
what surety is there in recruiting?

Harris could drop us just because. He could drop us because he doesn't like the idea of a BS, even if it doesn't impact him. He may drop us cause he likes what UNC is selling.

what surety is there that he gets his grades in order? is it worth it if Harris turns into a JJ Peterson case of not showing up in time/in shape?

I don't have answers to any of these. imo its better to get our feet underneath us and to be able to move forward with surety, rather than taking risks. idk, the coaches hopefully have this figured out.

VN Store

Back