'19 CB S Anthony Harris (UT commit 6/8/18)

I think there’s a strong argument to be made that quality is more important than quantity in recruiting.

Butch took some huge classes and we never saw much benefit because half of the kids got processed out.

Clemson has taken 17, 14, 21, and 24 kids in their last 4 classes and is on top of CFB because they’ve landed studs.
True, but we need a lot of players in all positions so we don't have that luxury right now.

True, but we need a lot of players in all positions so we don't have that luxury right now.
We don’t have the luxury to take 14 guys, for sure. But we’re talking about taking 20-22 guys. That’s plenty for most classes. Few schools take 25 guys every year anyway.

Reactions: Bobo0101
wut? have you seen the class sizes right now? most schools are up against it or over the 25 limit.
Don’t have time to check how many of those are up against that limit year in year out. My bad if not true. Taking 20-22 kids isn’t a big dropoff though.

It’s more important to get good players than a lot of players. If you take 25 every single year, you’re going to end up processing a lot of kids anyway.

Reactions: Devo182
Don’t have time to check how many of those are up against that limit year in year out. My bad if not true. Taking 20-22 kids isn’t a big dropoff though.

It’s more important to get good players than a lot of players. If you take 25 every single year, you’re going to end up processing a lot of kids anyway.

Sure one way to look at it, another is the more you get, the more that can pan out. More swings, more hits.

if we hadn't blueshirted in the past we wouldn't have to worry about blueshirting Harris.

We are going to be having the exact same conversation next year because people can't understand the problem we are setting up for ourselves.

and to expand on the credit card recruiting, blueshirting is credit card recruiting and only making the minimum payment. we aren't getting out from under the problem.

if we hadn't blueshirted in the past we wouldn't have to worry about blueshirting Harris.

We are going to be having the exact same conversation next year because people can't understand the problem we are setting up for ourselves.

and to expand on the credit card recruiting, blueshirting is credit card recruiting and only making the minimum payment. we aren't getting out from under the problem.

Yup...I'm sure you're more qualified than Pruitt and staff.....I can't believe they have consulted you yet.

The audacity.

Yup...I'm sure you're more qualified than Pruitt and staff.....I can't believe they have consulted you yet.

The audacity.
projecting much?

Never said I was more qualified. I was just pointing out the fact that past blueshirts have put us into this situation, and we won't get out from under that problem with future blueshirts.

next time you want to be sarcastic pick a better argument to make.

Reactions: SugarCC and butchna

Well one poster on here made it sound like you can only blueshirt ahead whatever number you blueshirted the year before. So the first year we don't blueshirt anybody that will be a permanent solution to the problem and we can just cut up our credit card. I think the number right now is 2.

Reactions: BucVol98
Except in this particular case we’re not really talking about subtracting a swing, per se. Just about the timing of the swing.

In terms of a particular class we are. Clemson has not taken a full class in a while but they are certainly an anomaly in how many have hit for them. We are on the opposite end of that spectrum right now so we most definitely need to work deep into the count per se.

In terms of a particular class we are. Clemson has not taken a full class in a while but they are certainly an anomaly in how many have hit for them. We are on the opposite end of that spectrum right now so we most definitely need to work deep into the count per se.
I’m not sure I agree that Clemson is anomalous in how they’ve hit in recruiting. They’re average recruit rating over the past 3 years or so is really only rivaled by Bama. If you fill a class with mostly top 100 recruits that every team in the country covets, your odds of the class panning our are just really good.

I’m not sure I agree that Clemson is anomalous in how they’ve hit in recruiting. They’re average recruit rating over the past 3 years or so is really only rivaled by Bama. If you fill a class with mostly top 100 recruits that every team in the country covets, your odds of the class panning our are just really good.

Sure but even Bama has processed a good amount, not Clemson.

I see what you're saying and I agree in a couple of years we shouldn't be blue shirting. That said we don't know how terrible Pruitt considers the current roster for his particular philosophy.

Sure but even Bama has processed a good amount, not Clemson.
How many guys has Bama pushed out over the past 3-4 years? Seems like they lose enough underclassmen to the draft each year to not have to push too many guys out. It’s probably a pretty safe bet that we’ve pushed out just as many, if not more guys than they have over that time.

We don’t have the luxury to take 14 guys, for sure. But we’re talking about taking 20-22 guys. That’s plenty for most classes. Few schools take 25 guys every year anyway.
We need 30 for 2 years just to get depth enough to make it through 4 quarters. Unfortunately we can't do that so the coaches are doing everything possible to get as many good players as they can. Maybe in a few years we can do like Clemson, but there are not many that can be that drastic with so many players leaving for the draft and transferring.

We need 30 for 2 years just to get depth enough to make it through 4 quarters. Unfortunately we can't do that so the coaches are doing everything possible to get as many good players as they can. Maybe in a few years we can do like Clemson, but there are not many that can be that drastic with so many players leaving for the draft and transferring.
Eh, Butch tried the whole signing 30 guys back to back years thing. Didn’t work out so great. Getting the best players possible is much more important than taking lots of guys just to have bodies IMO.

Eh, Butch tried the whole signing 30 guys back to back years thing. Didn’t work out so great. Getting the best players possible is much more important than taking lots of guys just to have bodies IMO.
But... Harris is one of the best available. He's our 8th highest rated player in this class. That's why arguing you shouldn't accept his commitment at the expense of a spot in next year's class is so baffling.

If the argument is that you don't believe he'll qualify, that's fine. But I assume that if he's given a roster spot, the staff thinks they can get him eligible.

But... Harris is one of the best available. He's our 8th highest rated player in this class. That's why arguing you shouldn't accept his commitment at the expense of a spot in next year's class is so baffling.

If the argument is that you don't believe he'll qualify, that's fine. But I assume that if he's given a roster spot, the staff thinks they can get him eligible.
We aren’t in disagreement here.

Ah, the stars. I'm all for taking Robinson over Harris if Harris can't get right with grade. As much as I make fun of the already over used term "credit card recruiting" I would too like to see us getting back to 25 a class now that Pruitt has a couple under his belt.

Reactions: Sleegro

But how many blueshirts are we really doing this year? 1? 2? Better than last year and getting out of the borrowing model.

And in this case, don't think of it as borrowing. Teams have a strict signing number, so every single one has value. Is it not better to have surety so we don't lose one rather than being fearful of borrowing ahead? One is definitely worse than the other.

Yea I understand your reasoning and I agree. Pruitt is going to have to take a smaller class in one of the coming classes to catch up with the "credit card recruiting." B/c it will catch up sometime in the future, either with this staff or the next...

VN Store

Back