Butch Jones receives high praise from Saban

I think Butch comes out ahead on this. He gets paid by ut. He leaves bama with a 1G flash drive full of bama's playbooks, strategies, and oppo research.

You have to hand it to saban on this one. Poached and experienced coach to use and all sorts of roles and basically doesn't have to pay him. On top of that he gets to stick it to his number two rival for 3 years of financial punishment while doing so. Then, if he wants to promote the guy next year he can, or has already released him in a setup deal to begin with.

As bad as it chaps me to say it or think it, he's knocking it out of the park on this deal.

We are no longer his number 2 rival, haven't been for over 10 years.

Reactions: preacherwebb
I don't think Butch is going to take any job that pays anything while is still getting paid big bucks by Tennessee. He takes a real coaching job, bye bye buyout. Expect him to look for a job after this season.
4 more months...then we can find something else to fume over.

Reactions: rikberry31
When it’s Clemson and Bama in the NCCG I’m going to be the biggest Clemson fan ever. Don’t care if Clemson being good is bad for us. I really don’t want CBJ walking around with a NC ring like he actually had anything to do with it. Dude is a cheap suit salesman.

I know that it's been covered, but this is part of Saban's brilliance. Tying up UTAD $$$s (that would otherwise be invested in the program) while giving a guy that will not like UT (forever) exposure to a top tier coaching program so that he can go to a non-SEC school and coach, and someday exact his vengeance while playing UT in a mid-tier bowl game.

though - if Jones's business manager has invested properly over his head coaching career, Butch won't have to go work anywhere.

I can say with certainty that the special teams at UT were actually “Special” while Butch was coaching them here. And they are very good now at Ala. Maybe he does have a skill in coaching.

I don't see how they continually get away with that charade, heck you can see him coaching up players during games.
Every team does it and no one cares. They have Butch and we have Chip Long. They coach, they game plan. If they are over 27 years old they can’t wear a head set. Young analyst can wear head set to help them learn the game,
Butch coaches running backs, at least he was a couple of years ago. I am sure Chip Long helps with tight ends and game planning.

I know that it's been covered, but this is part of Saban's brilliance. Tying up UTAD $$$s (that would otherwise be invested in the program) while giving a guy that will not like UT (forever) exposure to a top tier coaching program so that he can go to a non-SEC school and coach, and someday exact his vengeance while playing UT in a mid-tier bowl game.

though - if Jones's business manager has invested properly over his head coaching career, Butch won't have to go work anywhere.
Saban will help Butch get a job as soon as UT quits paying him

Stratetically placed article/interview right before UT game to get under our skin.
He used to do that with talking Kiffin up too, and sadly it works every time. It didn't help when Kiffin came to Knoxville with Bama and drew up that TD on their first possession and backed it all up.

Reactions: 08Vol
Such high praise that Saban has refused to promote him to any meaningful role in 3 years.

Saban hired Butch to screw over UT. Any money Butch earns will be reduced from his buyout. One condition of the buyout is Butch has to try and find similar work in football. By working on Saban’s staff he can argue he is working to get another head coaching job since so many of Saban’s assistants get hired away. Saban wants UT to pay all of Butch’s buyout so we don’t have that money to upgrade our own coaching staff. Butch’s buyout ends in 5 months so Saban doesn’t need him around after this year.

You have to think this looks bad on him for future job opportunities. ADs have to look at this and think why would I put this guy under a contract if he will be dead set on milking me for every penny instead of obligating himself to the contract and mitigate that cost if it doesn't work out?

ADs don’t care about that if they think he can win at their school. Anyways he will probably be hired onto a staff as a coordinator and it’s head coaches who decide who they hire on their staff, not ADs.

VN Store

Back