Butch Jones receives high praise from Saban

@Freak Can we ban Butch Jones threads? Literally zero impact anymore unless Saban needs creamer for his coffee or how long the Vol Walk is......

59570366.jpg

Reactions: preacherwebb
Man I was just thinking about how weird of a guy butch really is. The guy has been a “special assistant” to Saban for over 3 years now. A guy that’s been a head coach for over 10 years and made somewhere around 50 million dollars (between salary and endorsements) is basically running errands for a coach. That’s what a ga does. How dumb is this dude seriously? Other former head coaches that join Saban’s staff come in as coordinators. Then there’s Butch. Picking up coach’s dry cleaning.
How dumb are we that UT has been paying him millions to be Saban’s intern?

Reactions: GoVols64

Looking at SGT Carter as a vet now and not the young boy I was when I watched the show, he has an impressive rack. A Bronze Star, Purple Heart, and various other awards and ribbons. Given the time frame, and the bronze star on his National Defense Service Medal, he must be a Korea and Vietnam vet.

He was a comical figure in Gomer Pyle, but clearly, SGT Carter was one bad@$$ Marine!

Looking at SGT Carter as a vet now and not the young boy I was when I watched the show, he has an impressive rack. A Bronze Star, Purple Heart, and various other awards and ribbons. Given the time frame, and the bronze star on his National Defense Service Medal, he must be a Korea and Vietnam vet.

He was a comical figure in Gomer Pyle, but clearly, SGT Carter was one bad@$$ Marine!
Yes he was...Clarksville Tennessee native IIRC. In fact I THINK there’s a statue downtown!

He appears to be wearing some Army medals in there....I highly doubt accuracy was high on the show's list when they were throwing ribbons together ;)

Reactions: VolInNW
You have to think this looks bad on him for future job opportunities. ADs have to look at this and think why would I put this guy under a contract if he will be dead set on milking me for every penny instead of obligating himself to the contract and mitigate that cost if it doesn't work out?
I think this kinda thing will finally stop some of the insanity of these schools agreeing to these crazy buy out clauses.

Man I was just thinking about how weird of a guy butch really is. The guy has been a “special assistant” to Saban for over 3 years now. A guy that’s been a head coach for over 10 years and made somewhere around 50 million dollars (between salary and endorsements) is basically running errands for a coach. That’s what a ga does. How dumb is this dude seriously? Other former head coaches that join Saban’s staff come in as coordinators. Then there’s Butch. Picking up coach’s dry cleaning.
He is not GA, he is analyst. He is basically coach but not on the field. Sark did the same thing when he first went to Alabubba. People make jokes about him getting Nick's coffee but he is really a coach.

Reactions: a vol n tears
I don't think Butch is going to take any job that pays anything while is still getting paid big bucks by Tennessee. He takes a real coaching job, bye bye buyout. Expect him to look for a job after this season.
Agreed. He's a jerk

He is not GA, he is analyst. He is basically coach but not on the field. Sark did the same thing when he first went to Alabubba. People make jokes about him getting Nick's coffee but he is really a coach.

I don't see how they continually get away with that charade, heck you can see him coaching up players during games.

I don't see how they continually get away with that charade, heck you can see him coaching up players during games.
Well Nick being the commissioner helps keep Alabubba out of trouble. I bet they could put Butch in as the Referee and get away with it. And we get fined for mask protocol.

Reactions: hog88

How dumb is he? He's making more money from UT than he could get from any other school as a head coach.

Reactions: Tnphil
I can't figure out what he (butch) does at Alabama that affords him to be on the sidelines every game.

I mean, Saban is the originator of the model (at least on the college level) of bringing in former head coaches as "analysts" and "special assistants" yet we don't see them on the sidelines during games. We don't see these coaches in similar positions at other schools crawling all over the sidelines during games.

For example, have you ever saw this guy on the sidelines during a game?
Blount_Carter.JPG

CARTER BLOUNT
TITLE Special Teams Quality Control Analyst

What about this guy?
Colosimo.jpg

MIKE COLOSIMO
TITLE Offensive Quality Control Analyst

And then there's thus guy:
Garrett_Cox_.jpg

GARRETT COX
Defensive Quality Control Analyst

But I see this all the time ...
Screenshot (5).png

Seems like Butch is always positioning himself around Saban on the sidelines, I suppose, for the publicity or image rehab.

Am I the only one who has noticed this?

I don’t think there’s many programs were a fired ex head coach would agree to such a position. We could only hope to be in that spot someday. Now with basketball and Rick Barnes, yeah I can see that happening maybe.

VN Store

Back