BTO’s Appy State Postgame Report

I know it will come in time, but I'd like to see more slashing to the basket or more inside/out where the post player either takes it up or kicks back out to guards. We're not getting space to shoot 3's. That's really the only thing I could say, 3 games in. The mix of culture, effort, veterans and youth is dynamic. Excited to see us play Mizz in a few weeks. They've got 2 quality wins vs Oregon and Illinois. If we handle them, we could be in top 5 by the time January rolls around.
Don’t you think it’s due to teams playing zone D? As soon as Fulky and Pons get back to last season’s form I think the perimeter will open up more

1. That’s how you handle a weekday game against a MM opponent, that isn’t an awful Appy State team (just beat a decent Charlotte team), but we made them look like a LM at best, that’s what an elite defense will do though, more on that...

4. To the contrary, and maybe a weakness or something to watch, I really hope Anosike continues to develop and adjust to the level. Fulky can’t do it alone and Pons isn’t a typical post, we really need to be able to go to Anosike here and there and not see a huge drop off, posts find themselves in foul trouble and Fulky has long had those issues, need to find some depth there imo.

This is definitely our achilles heel. I think Anosike is still feeling his way and will improve with more play. It is tougher to make a put back against the teams we are playing than the teams he is used to playing so an adjustment will hopefully be made. Past Anosike, I haven't seen much to give me hope (I know it is still early) so I fully expect JJJ to play some/more at the 4 as the season progresses. Really, it might be the best way to keep our best 5 on the floor at any given time. I think he has the physical skills to play the 4 and hope he has the toughness that will be needed. If he get what we need at the 4 and 5 then we will absolutely be a team to be reckoned with.

3 point shooting was abysmal. Again. Those are Great stats you referenced and I had stated after the first game that the 3-point shot defines this game.

Bailey had one nice one from the corner that came off him working without the ball, cut the baseline to pop open in the corner.

The lack of a set offense is hurting the three. Most of the three shots I’m seeing are heavily contested, late in the clock, and a result of the offense stalling. Thank goodness you have some players that know how to manufacture offense. But I see nothing in this offense that is designed to utilize our 3 point shooters. Vescovi and Bailey are good enough that there should be some strategy to get them clean, fluid looks. The percentage is not a reflection on the quality of shooter but the quality of shot.

Yes, UT killed ASU, but I’m telling you they left at least a dozen points on the floor. It will matter in other games where the competition is better.
Last night was literally the definition for average in CBB, 6/18 for 33% ranks right a collegiate average.

Vescovi and Bailey had at least a combined 4 open looks on 3’s that they missed, not saying there weren’t contested looks too but they also missed some open shots.

This basketball team will win a lot of games.
Will we finally win the SEC tournament again?
First FF?

Very promising to see JJJ come out of the gates like he has.

He has All-American written all over him, if not this year then certainly next year.

Even though he is not the one-and-done that many predicted a couple of years ago, he is the MVP of the team that is potentially going to FF this year.

Going to have to average 15+ points a game (which he’s certainly capable of doing)to be recognized as an AA. IMO

I'm really struck by the depth of talent on this team. I never thought I'd see such depth in Knoxville. Our second team would be very competitive if not better than our #1s at about the time Coach Barnes was hired. I like competition but I hope we can keep them all happy. Winning is a great way to do that.

Not counting walk-ons, we played 12 guys last night

3 point shooting was abysmal. Again. Those are Great stats you referenced and I had stated after the first game that the 3-point shot defines this game.

Bailey had one nice one from the corner that came off him working without the ball, cut the baseline to pop open in the corner.

The lack of a set offense is hurting the three. Most of the three shots I’m seeing are heavily contested, late in the clock, and a result of the offense stalling. Thank goodness you have some players that know how to manufacture offense. But I see nothing in this offense that is designed to utilize our 3 point shooters. Vescovi and Bailey are good enough that there should be some strategy to get them clean, fluid looks. The percentage is not a reflection on the quality of shooter but the quality of shot.

Yes, UT killed ASU, but I’m telling you they left at least a dozen points on the floor. It will matter in other games where the competition is better.
Agreed on leaving points on the floor, but that's mainly because of missed shots in the paint, again. If this teams shoots 33% from three every night, they're gonna win a ton of games. i wasn't wholly disappointed in the outside shot tonight.

Agreed on leaving points on the floor, but that's mainly because of missed shots in the paint, again. If this teams shoots 33% from three every night, they're gonna win a ton of games. i wasn't wholly disappointed in the outside shot tonight.
All of that was after the game was well out of hand. I think they were 2-11 in first half and if you compare that with first two games, it’s a concern. But hey, we’re picking nits. We’ve got a really good team here.

Last night was literally the definition for average in CBB, 6/18 for 33% ranks right a collegiate average.

Vescovi and Bailey had at least a combined 4 open looks on 3’s that they missed, not saying there weren’t contested looks too but they also missed some open shots.
Aware. And they were 2-11 at the half and combined with their first two games, it’s abysmal.
Threes made after your up by 30?
Granted, that’s a great problem to have.

Aware. And they were 2-11 at the half and combined with their first two games, it’s abysmal.
Threes made after your up by 30?
Granted, that’s a great problem to have.
Well there’s two halves to basketball, the games outcome was pretty clear after about 4-5 minutes last night, not sure there was much difference with 4 minutes left in the first half or 12 minutes left in the 2nd half.

Maybe it's been mentioned and I missed it, but in addition to how aggressive and dominate our defense has been, we have avoided any foul trouble. I don't recall having a player with 4 fouls in any of our games. This tells me they are moving their feet and getting into position quickly and not reaching/slapping at the ball.

All of that was after the game was well out of hand. I think they were 2-11 in first half and if you compare that with first two games, it’s a concern. But hey, we’re picking nits. We’ve got a really good team here.

Well there’s two halves to basketball, the games outcome was pretty clear after about 4-5 minutes last night, not sure there was much difference with 4 minutes left in the first half or 12 minutes left in the 2nd half.

Well I think we can agree JJJ isn’t going 3-3 again most likely. They need to be taking about 25 and hitting around 8-10. I didn’t catch the game last night, but I still think 18 is too few for this team.

Maybe it's been mentioned and I missed it, but in addition to how aggressive and dominate our defense has been, we have avoided any foul trouble. I don't recall having a player with 4 fouls in any of our games. This tells me they are moving their feet and getting into position quickly and not reaching/slapping at the ball.
We had 2 players with 4 fouls vs Cincinnati I think. I doubt you see many fouls on us the next couple of games. SEC teams are going to go after Fulkerson as it'll be their best shot to beat us by getting him out.

Reactions: ALStateLineVol
Well I think we can agree JJJ isn’t going 3-3 again most likely. They need to be taking about 25 and hitting around 8-10. I didn’t catch the game last night, but I still think 18 is too few for this team.
Yeah, JJJ won't shoot 100% from here on out, but Keon won't shoot 0%, Bailey 20% and Vescovi 25%. I think they'll be fine. I agree that they will probably need to take more against better comp, but no need to settle when you can get easy looks inside like last night.

Reactions: Vol49er
Really? I didn’t know that.

The defense is elite and has given up only 141 total points in three games.

James, Fulkerson, Vescovi, Bailey or Springer could take turns in being the go to guy offensively during any game on the schedule.

Springer and Johnson are junkyard dogs on the defensive end and this trait has carried over to the rest of the team.

Lowest point total allowed during the Barnes era.

Reactions: Ttucke11
Our only weakness is post size, it will be a struggle if we have to play a team with elite talent over 6’10. Our 3 game is ok, but it would really put pressure on this squad right now (key words) to win if the inside is taken away.

Our only weakness is post size, it will be a struggle if we have to play a team with elite talent over 6’10. Our 3 game is ok, but it would really put pressure on this squad right now (key words) to win if the inside is taken away.
I think we can guard most of those type of players by "committee" if need be. Thankfully, we won't run in to many of them until maybe tournament time.

The defense is elite and has given up only 141 total points in three games.

James, Fulkerson, Vescovi, Bailey or Springer could take turns in being the go to guy offensively during any game on the schedule.

Springer and Johnson are junkyard dogs on the defensive end and this trait has carried over to the rest of the team.

Lowest point total allowed during the Barnes era.
James and Bailey are not go to offensive players. Bailey is strictly a jump shooter and James can't finish around the rim. These are quality players who will occasionally have a 15 point game here or there but being top scoring options are not there strengths.

Especially if there is foul trouble. The drop off in the post is staggering if we are forced to go to our bench in crunch time.

Colin brings up a good question. What is the status of Corey Walker? I really thought he would have gotten minutes in the Appy game. Not a "practice" player or is it out of shape that's a problem?

Colin brings up a good question. What is the status of Corey Walker? I really thought he would have gotten minutes in the Appy game. Not a "practice" player or is it out of shape that's a problem?

He has some sort of injury. It kept him out of the Appy State game.

VN Store

Back