BTO’s Appy State Postgame Report

bleedingTNorange

1. That’s how you handle a weekday game against a MM opponent, that isn’t an awful Appy State team (just beat a decent Charlotte team), but we made them look like a LM at best, that’s what an elite defense will do though, more on that...

2. This defense!!!! Gonna steal this from a great follow on Twitter, but this is some pretty impressive stuff...
-Held Colorado to lowest offensive efficiency since Nov. 2014.
-Held Cincinnati to second-lowest efficiency of last 5 seasons.
-Currently holding App State to 0.406 PPP. Their low in the KenPom era (2002-now): 0.565 PPP.

That’s 3/3 on elite defensive showings from this squad, and considering they had a recent 14 day lay off the possibility for improvement is still there, they’re impressive.

3. Our guard depth is elite, obviously I have been higher on Bailey than most but time that others start jumping on board. Notice I’m not claiming he’s better or more talented than the freshman, simply stating he’s a very strong defender, outside shooter, showed some other ways to score tonight, and brings some experience. There’s 120 minutes available at the 1-3, I am all for continuing to see Vescovi, Bailey, James, Springer and Johnson splits those minutes evenly, I think they all really bring something and all warrant those minutes, I also think not over playing them makes them even better defensively.

4. To the contrary, and maybe a weakness or something to watch, I really hope Anosike continues to develop and adjust to the level. Fulky can’t do it alone and Pons isn’t a typical post, we really need to be able to go to Anosike here and there and not see a huge drop off, posts find themselves in foul trouble and Fulky has long had those issues, need to find some depth there imo.

5. We definitely looked better offensively tonight, but was that the opponent, or us taking a step forward on that end, or a mixture of both? There’s no doubt in my mind that we can be better offensively, how much may be a limit, but can definitely become more efficient and start to hit some of these good looks they are getting, I hope to see that over the next 3 games.

6. No reason Tennessee shouldn’t roll through the next 3 games and enter conference play as a likely undefeated Top 5 team and favorites to win the SEC. I would like to see them continue to develop offensively and some of these shots start to fall, offensive efficiency go up, and hopefully continue to gel as a team and clarify some rolls while finding some depth.

GBO!!!

1. That’s how you handle a weekday game against a MM opponent, that isn’t an awful Appy State team (just beat a decent Charlotte team), but we made them look like a LM at best, that’s what an elite defense will do though, more on that...

2. This defense!!!! Gonna steal this from a great follow on Twitter, but this is some pretty impressive stuff...
-Currently holding App State to 0.406 PPP. Their low in the KenPom era (2002-now): 0.565 PPP.

That’s 3/3 on elite defensive showings from this squad, and considering they had a recent 14 day lay off the possibility for improvement is still there, they’re impressive.

3. Our guard depth is elite, obviously I have been higher on Bailey than most but time that others start jumping on board. Notice I’m not claiming he’s better or more talented than the freshman, simply stating he’s a very strong defender, outside shooter, showed some other ways to score tonight, and brings some experience. There’s 120 minutes available at the 1-3, I am all for continuing to see Vescovi, Bailey, James, Springer and Johnson splits those minutes evenly, I think they all really bring something and all warrant those minutes, I also think not over playing them makes them even better defensively.

4. To the contrary, and maybe a weakness or something to watch, I really hope Anosike continues to develop and adjust to the level. Fulky can’t do it alone and Pons isn’t a typical post, we really need to be able to go to Anosike here and there and not see a huge drop off, posts find themselves in foul trouble and Fulky has long had those issues, need to find some depth there imo.

5. We definitely looked better offensively tonight, but was that the opponent, or us taking a step forward on that end, or a mixture of both? There’s no doubt in my mind that we can be better offensively, how much may be a limit, but can definitely become more efficient and start to hit some of these good looks they are getting, I hope to see that over the next 3 games.

6. No reason Tennessee shouldn’t roll through the next 3 games and enter conference play as a likely undefeated Top 5 team and favorites to win the SEC. I would like to see them continue to develop offensively and some of these shots start to fall, offensive efficiency go up, and hopefully continue to gel as a team and clarify some rolls while finding some depth.

GBO!!!

We saw it a few times tonight, but I expect this team to get out and run a bit in transition once they get their legs 100% back and start syncing up a bit more.

The level of defense were playing is going to lead to a lot of transition points and we have the guards that should be able to convert.

Re: point #4, are you saying you were disappointed with EJA, tonight? I thought he was really solid...efficient offensively, rebounded really well, and defended better than he has all season.
No, should’ve clarified a bit more, it was more just a general feel about after 3 games. You are correct in that EJA looked good tonight, was more of what I was hoping for from him.

Don't apologize. It's nice having a different perspective from two stellar basketball minds.
Appreciate the kind words. I could have posted my thoughts in his thread instead of cluttering the board with two threads of the same topic. But I agree, multiple opinions are a good thing.

You are right. Bailey stood out. I had thought based on the first 2 games that he was strictly a catch and shoot player but I was wrong. He played free in this game and showed ability off the bounce and off the dribble. Even showed some playmaking ability. Even without a true PG we have an abundance of riches at guard.

How do you split those minutes between Vescovi, Bailey, Springer, James, and Johnson? Does everyone get 24 minutes per game? Perhaps that makes the most sense. Still wish we got a look at James at the 4 when Pons needs a breather.

And for anyone who says Vescovi can’t defend...watch him defensively away from the ball. He anticipates nicely and recovers off weak side very well as well as sticking his nose in passing lanes. James had a great stat line and showed off his stroke from top of the key. Springer is a bully with the ball off the dribble. I think he can go wherever he wants offensively. Keon impacts the game across the board and can’t wait till he knocks down a three. Still would like us to push tempo a bit more but just a classic mismatch and we didn’t play around against a less talented team.

GBO!!!
Bailey is big, strong, and confident. Great addition.

One of the positives I've noticed regarding Vescovi - he is much more efficient on the offense because
he has 3 very good guards that stay in motion and can release from their man easily. This gives
Vescovi more time for his passes - he doesn't have to force his passes into covered men the way he often did last year.

The progress JJJ has made is remarkable. Maybe he is also benefiting from better guard play from his teammates.

When this team plays as a unit, they are formidable. I know it is early, but I can see excellent play all the way around.

Springer and Keyon play like seniors. Would like to have seen a few more minutes with Pember, Plav, and Gaines.

It’s really kinda amazing how quick Bailey gets his shot off considering how low he brings the ball before he starts his shot. I like the calm he brings as well. This team has a good mix of chaos and calm. I’m trying to temper my expectations but it gets harder every game.
GBO!!

A couple of thoughts

I’ll be danged it’s clear Barnes wants Keon to play a bunch of Pg and he’s progressing nicely there I think. His lack of shooting is really going to hurt him as teams figure him out though

That 3 Pons hit late was huge. He really lost his confidence his soph year and starting 0/5 from 3 has me worried. Hopefully that gets him going

I just don’t see EA being a guy that helps us in the scoring department much at all when we play ncaa tourney teams. The length is going to bother him I am afraid

Bailey is a very nice addition.

This teams morale is special it seems.
Seeing guys like Ticket and Uros completely locked in for their teammates is special to see. The character of this team appears to be off the charts

I loved how in control Springer was tonight. Across the board we played elite defense, even Vescovi was super pesky on that end given that he's struggled there in the past. Fulky dominated inside as well. I've really liked how active we've been on the boards this year as well, despite not having a ton of size. Really not much to complain about tonight. We played pretty much mistake free basketball (only 6 turnovers). Really pleased.

Reactions: StrangeVol
I was unable to watch the game tonight, but I checked the box score and followed on social media.

My impressions from the digital and statistical angle are two-fold:

1) This defense might be the best to ever wear the orange and white. It’s early in the season, but they’re showing all the signs. They’re so disruptive and so athletic. It’s a championship caliber defense.

#2) Offense still needs some work if they want to win the SEC and make the first final four. There is no doubt tonight was a step forward, but from what I heard we missed many open shots and our perimeter shooting is lacking. I saw a statistic that since 2002 every NCAA champion shot 33% or better from 3 and the last 11 shot 38% or better. We shot 29% against Cincy and 33% tonight. So we’re right on the cusp. The way the game is played in 2020, we need a few of those reliable perimeter threats. An Admiral Schofield of this team. I hope we find one.

I was unable to watch the game tonight, but I checked the box score and followed on social media.

My impressions from the digital and statistical angle are two-fold:

1) This defense might be the best to ever wear the orange and white. It’s early in the season, but they’re showing all the signs. They’re so disruptive and so athletic. It’s a championship caliber defense.

#2) Offense still needs some work if they want to win the SEC and make the first final four. There is no doubt tonight was a step forward, but from what I heard we missed many open shots and our perimeter shooting is lacking. I saw a statistic that since 2002 every NCAA champion shot 33% or better from 3 and the last 11 shot 38% or better. We shot 29% against Cincy and 33% tonight. So we’re right on the cusp. The way the game is played in 2020, we need a few of those reliable perimeter threats. An Admiral Schofield of this team. I hope we find one.
3 point shooting was abysmal. Again. Those are Great stats you referenced and I had stated after the first game that the 3-point shot defines this game.

Bailey had one nice one from the corner that came off him working without the ball, cut the baseline to pop open in the corner.

The lack of a set offense is hurting the three. Most of the three shots I’m seeing are heavily contested, late in the clock, and a result of the offense stalling. Thank goodness you have some players that know how to manufacture offense. But I see nothing in this offense that is designed to utilize our 3 point shooters. Vescovi and Bailey are good enough that there should be some strategy to get them clean, fluid looks. The percentage is not a reflection on the quality of shooter but the quality of shot.

Yes, UT killed ASU, but I’m telling you they left at least a dozen points on the floor. It will matter in other games where the competition is better.

3 point shooting was abysmal. Again. Those are Great stats you referenced and I had stated after the first game that the 3-point shot defines this game.

Bailey had one nice one from the corner that came off him working without the ball, cut the baseline to pop open in the corner.

The lack of a set offense is hurting the three. Most of the three shots I’m seeing are heavily contested, late in the clock, and a result of the offense stalling. Thank goodness you have some players that know how to manufacture offense. But I see nothing in this offense that is designed to utilize our 3 point shooters. Vescovi and Bailey are good enough that there should be some strategy to get them clean, fluid looks. The percentage is not a reflection on the quality of shooter but the quality of shot.

Yes, UT killed ASU, but I’m telling you they left at least a dozen points on the floor. It will matter in other games where the competition is better.

6-18 is pretty average. Equates to 50% inside the 3-PL. The 2-11 in the 1st half was abysmal. 4-7 in the 2H made up for it.

I know it will come in time, but I'd like to see more slashing to the basket or more inside/out where the post player either takes it up or kicks back out to guards. We're not getting space to shoot 3's. That's really the only thing I could say, 3 games in. The mix of culture, effort, veterans and youth is dynamic. Excited to see us play Mizz in a few weeks. They've got 2 quality wins vs Oregon and Illinois. If we handle them, we could be in top 5 by the time January rolls around.

GBO!!!
That was easily the best showing I have seen from BBall that I can remember. The D is just crazy good, if the offense comes around we are a final four team. I think by mid season this team will still be in the top 5. Has a great chance at a number 1 seed this year.

VN Store

Back