Breaking: TX, OU Reach Agreement to Join SEC in 2024

If that happens, Kentucky will be rightfully upset not to get their biggest rival (Tennessee).

I think Kentucky gets their “rivalry” sacrificed to ensure that UT doesn’t get an unfair advantage of getting two guaranteed gimmies every year.
If that’s even a real consideration.
Maybe it is - they don’t want one team to have a much easier path possibly ….

Just saw this from someone in Alabama- more in the know than me - not in stone or etc just an opinion on what they are likely to do.

SEC PERMANENT RIVALS (3/6/6 model) - revaluation after 8 seasons- 2032

Alabama: Auburn, Tennessee, LSU

Arkansas: Texas, Missouri, Oklahoma

Auburn: Alabama, Georgia, Vanderbilt

Florida: Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina

Georgia: Florida, Auburn, South Carolina

Kentucky: Ole Miss, Missouri, Mississippi State

LSU: Alabama, Texas A&M, Ole Miss

Mississippi State: Ole Miss, Kentucky, Missouri

Missouri: Arkansas, Kentucky, Mississippi State

Oklahoma: Arkansas, Texas, Texas A&M

Ole Miss: Mississippi State, LSU, Kentucky

South Carolina: Vanderbilt, Georgia, Florida

Tennessee: Florida, Alabama, Vanderbilt

Texas: Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Arkansas

Texas A&M: Texas, LSU, Oklahoma

Vanderbilt: Tennessee, South Carolina, Auburn

That makes absolutely no sense for Kentucky or Vandy.

TN is most important game for Kentucky and Vandy.

Tennessee - Kentucky is 2nd most played rivalry in SEC.

Vandy is second most important team for Kentucky and vice versa.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
Any guesses on the next teams, after UTjr and OU, to join the SEC? Part of me wants Clemson so everyone can see how bad they suck in a real conference. I want to watch Dabo cry when he really has to work. I think VA Tech would be a fun school. Well, they were fun in the Beamer days. Maybe dip into Texas for another school there (TCU) or maybe another Florida school like FSU. I’d take FSU over Miami. It’ll be interesting to see how the California schools do in the Big 10 having to travel across the country every week. Regardless, I think the regional boundaries for conferences are history. Oregon to the SEC! 🤣

Don't bet the farm on it. If the SEC goes to four pods of 4 teams, it's very unlikely that Bama and UT will be in the same Pod.

One possible pod alignment...

West - Texas, OK, A&M, and LSU.
Central - Ole Miss, MSU, Bama, and Auburn.
East - UT, Georgia, UF, and SC.
North - Kentucky, Vandy, Arky, and Mizzou.

North looks super weak

I just hope everyone is given a fair schedule.
At the end of the day they will all have to beat someone of note. And whose good changes all the time. Bama sucked for a decade. We did for almost two. UGA was not threatening for 15. Auburn is relevant then not. Same with LSU. Florida same.

Reactions: Voldog1998
I
Any guesses on the next teams, after UTjr and OU, to join the SEC? Part of me wants Clemson so everyone can see how bad they suck in a real conference. I want to watch Dabo cry when he really has to work. I think VA Tech would be a fun school. Well, they were fun in the Beamer days. Maybe dip into Texas for another school there (TCU) or maybe another Florida school like FSU. I’d take FSU over Miami. It’ll be interesting to see how the California schools do in the Big 10 having to travel across the country every week. Regardless, I think the regional boundaries for conferences are history. Oregon to the SEC! 🤣
. I don’t want anymore schools I didn’t want OU and Texas and ditto for Misery and A&M.

The ACC grant of rights was extended to 2036 so unless a majority of ACC schools vote to end it early or a school is willing to pay the reported $120 million exit fee, that's a barrier to adding any schools from there. And outside of the ACC, what other schools would the SEC have an interest in adding?

I
. I don’t want anymore schools I didn’t want OU and Texas and ditto for Misery and A&M.
It's an economic reality in this era of massive TV contracts. The SEC needed to snatch the eyeballs those schools bring to maximize TV revenue.

This isn't the old college football anymore. Cash is King and aTm, TX, and OU bring football markets that matter. Miz is a bit of a meh market, but we needed a +1 with aTm.

Always follow the money, especially now in college football.

Reactions: VolNExile
Clemson, Florida State, Miami, and a weak NC team like Wake that won't take away some of our NC recruits. Out West: Arizona, Kansas State, maybe Ok State or Texas Tech/Baylor.

Next Time I think it will be the big grab and we take 4-8 teams as does the B1G and say sayonara to the ncaa.

It's an economic reality in this era of massive TV contracts. The SEC needed to snatch the eyeballs those schools bring to maximize TV revenue.

This isn't the old college football anymore. Cash is King and aTm, TX, and OU bring football markets that matter. Miz is a bit of a meh market, but we needed a +1 with aTm.

Always follow the money, especially now in college football.
Unfortunately your right it’s all dictated by money now.

I just don't understand any of the "weakness" argument regarding permanent opponents. The rotation will be so frequent that nobody's really got a case in that regard.

The 3/6/6 model is fantastic, as we'll get to see everybody home and away every four years. That is way better than now.

We will probably lose Florida and Georgia as annual opponents with this news.

As someone who grew up in the 90s I kind of hate this, especially losing Florida. I'm more indifferent on Georgia. I know Georgia has been a very good program but they'll always be something of a joke to me. I really enjoy the excitement of playing UF and this is even worse news because it's probably our time to accumulate a good streak on them for once.

Man I wish ut and UT would have a yearly game for the T, or call it the real UT. Would make a great rivalry game I believe. That plus Nico vs Manning, man it'd be awesome

I agree with you. I think a Tennessee-Texas annual matchup would be loads of fun but it's really hard to sell it right off the bat with all the other games that have to happen.

Reactions: Volfan1000
I would really like 2 see our permanent be Bama, UK/Vandy, and Texas. The yearly battle 4 the T. On a neutral would be cool, but not a must. Imagine 3-4 years of Arch vs Nico. Orange vs ugly dirt orangeish brown. Has the makings of a gr8 rivalry.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
Prioritizing, history, match ups, and geography.

Florida: Georgia, Auburn, LSU
Georgia: Auburn, Florida, South Carolina
South Carolina: Georgia, Kentucky, Missouri
Kentucky: Tennessee, South Carolina, Vanderbilt
Tennessee: Alabama, Vanderbilt, Kentucky
Vanderbilt: Tennessee, Kentucky, Ole Miss
Alabama: Auburn, Tennesee, Mississippi St.
Auburn: Alabama, Georgia, Florida
Ole Miss: LSU, Mississippi St. Vanderbilt
Mississippi St.: Ole Miss, Alabama, Texas A&M
LSU: Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Florida
Texas: Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Arkansas
Texas A&M: Texas, LSU, Mississippi St.
Oklahoma: Texas, Missouri, Arkansas
Arkansas: Missouri, Texas, Oklahoma
Missouri: South Carolina, Arkansas, Oklahoma

I agree with you. I think a Tennessee-Texas annual matchup would be loads of fun but it's really hard to sell it right off the bat with all the other games that have to happen.
I don't get a rivalry simply based on the two states starting with the same letter. Is Arkansas/Alabama a rivalry? Mississippi/Missouri start and end with same letter, is that a rivalry?

I don't get a rivalry simply based on the two states starting with the same letter. Is Arkansas/Alabama a rivalry? Mississippi/Missouri start and end with same letter, is that a rivalry?

It’s the UT vs UT thing.

And we’re both orange. And the Alamo. And they suck, and we don’t like them. See, this can be easy.

Umm. Tennessee is basically the parent state to Texas. Most of the original settlers there were from Tennessee, you have the Alamo and Davy Crockett. Both schools are different shades of orange and white. I think there is potential for it to be a very fun game. It has nothing to do with alliteration.

Even though a continuation of divisions has already been confirmed not to be happening, your suggestion adds 2 teams (Alabama and Auburn) to an already 7-team East, giving it 9 teams. The now 5-team West (having lost 2 teams in Alabama and Auburn) would only be getting 2 more teams (Texas and Oklahoma)…meaning the West would have 7 teams.

So that would create 2 unbalanced divisions of 9 and 7 teams in the East and West, respectively.
Move Mizzou to the West. Natural rivals for them there.

Umm. Tennessee is basically the parent state to Texas. Most of the original settlers there were from Tennessee, you have the Alamo and Davy Crockett. Both schools are different shades of orange and white. I think there is potential for it to be a very fun game. It has nothing to do with alliteration.
Tennessee and Texas need to figure out a nickname for this upcoming rivalry...You just know it is going to be a big hit with the fans....I see Oklahoma nd Alabama having a nice rivalry too and can picture the 2 orange teams rooting against the 2 crimson teams lol

However it breaks out, Texas wants no part of Vanderbilt as the 'Dores are 8-3-1 (.708) against the Horns. Anchor Down!

South Carolina is 1-0 vs Texas. Mississippi State is 2-2. All other SEC teams have a losing record against the Burnt Orange Herd from Austin. Alabama is a paltry .167 winning percentage. Only Ole Miss, at .143 is worse for teams that have more than five games against Texas.

1676904185877.png

Last edited:
However it breaks out, Texas wants no part of Vanderbilt as the 'Dores are 8-3-1 (.708) against the Horns. Anchor Down!

South Carolina is 1-0 vs Texas. Mississippi State is 2-2. All other SEC teams have a losing record against the Burnt Orange Herd from Austin. Alabama is a paltry .167 winning percentage. Only Ole Miss, at .143 is worse for teams that have more than five games against Texas.

View attachment 537287
Auburn also has a losing record against Vandy, lol.

VN Store

Back