Breaking: TX, OU Reach Agreement to Join SEC in 2024

Once the 3-6-6 model is announced with a 9 game schedule I’ll be interested to see if the timing of the games changes. For example, if we get Vandy would that game be moved from the last game of the year to another time in September or October? I’m guessing not, but I’m interested to see if we start scheduling more first weekend conference games. I think the Big 10 has done a good job of starting the season w/ some interesting conference games. I’m hoping the SEC will do the same .

If they do go with 3-6-6, here’s how I think they might go for Tennessee’s 4 year conference scheduling rotation.

3 annual games: Bama, UK, Vandy.
Year 1 rotators:
@TEX,@LSU,@ARK,UF,OM,USC
Year 2 rotators:
@UGA,@MSU,@AUB,OU,TAMU,MIZ
Year 3 rotators:
TEX,LSU,ARK,@UF,@OM,@USC
Year 4 rotators:
UGA,MSU,AUB,@OU,@TAMU,@MIZ

Reactions: BristolVol
I read on another board from someone who seems to know something, UT would get Bama, Vandy, and either South Carolina or Florida. That KY isn’t likely. I went to UK board and a lot of their posters don’t think they’ll get UT either.
We can hope…..

Reactions: Hyperion
Says it all in these two sentences.

"Stoops is 6-16 against teams now in the SEC West. His UK teams are winless in 11 road games at SEC West schools."

Swapping one of their easy Kroger Field FCS wins for another SEC game will definitely affect UK's postseason.
How can you not win once at Mississippi State over the years? It’s not like theyve been some juggernaut.

How can you not win once at Mississippi State over the years? It’s not like theyve been some juggernaut.
My first thought after reading that was even Pruitt had a road win versus a western team, Auburn. Stoops hasn't achieved in 11 years what Pruitt did in his 1st season.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I read on another board from someone who seems to know something, UT would get Bama, Vandy, and either South Carolina or Florida. That KY isn’t likely. I went to UK board and a lot of their posters don’t think they’ll get UT either.
We can hope…..

Getting UK and Vandy seems too good to be true. I suspect it would be South Carolina because Bama and UF are quite tough and UK/VU is too easy. South Carolina seems like it'd be a reasonable balance. Finding three teams for South Carolina is more difficult than UF.

For the record I'd like to play UF every year. We owe them a rough 15-20 years.

Getting UK and Vandy seems too good to be true. I suspect it would be South Carolina because Bama and UF are quite tough and UK/VU is too easy. South Carolina seems like it'd be a reasonable balance. Finding three teams for South Carolina is more difficult than UF.

I feel like South Carolina will get UGA (for sure), Florida or UK and Mizzou (Columbia vs Columbia).

UK and SCAR have nearly identical records over the past decade with UK having a slight edge.

UK 66-59
SCAR 64-61

I dont see how the case can be made that UK is "easier" than SCAR

UK and SCAR have nearly identical records over the past decade with UK having a slight edge.

UK 66-59
SCAR 64-61

I dont see how the case can be made that UK is "easier" than SCAR

South Carolina has significantly more potential as a football program than UK. Feel free to disagree with that but it's hard to imagine Kentucky ever being more than what they are right now, which is a 7-5 and 8-4 team. South Carolina had some strong teams with Spurrier. They have a strong potential recruiting footprint that UK will never have.

South Carolina has significantly more potential as a football program than UK. Feel free to disagree with that but it's hard to imagine Kentucky ever being more than what they are right now, which is a 7-5 and 8-4 team. South Carolina had some strong teams with Spurrier. They have a strong potential recruiting footprint that UK will never have.
UK is the predominant football program in Kentucky and yeah, that's like being the tallest midget. SCAR is a very distant second to Clemson in South Carolina.

While SCAR had a few good years more than a decade ago, they will never have another coach of the caliber as Spurrier.

Head to head, UK has 7 wins to 3 losses over the past decade.

You can talk about potential but results show the 2 to be about equal with UK having a slight edge.

UK is the predominant football program in Kentucky and yeah, that's like being the tallest midget. SCAR is a very distant second to Clemson in South Carolina.

While SCAR had a few good years more than a decade ago, they will never have another coach of the caliber as Spurrier.

Head to head, UK has 7 wins to 3 losses over the past decade.

You can talk about potential but results show the 2 to be about equal with UK having a slight edge.

UK has an extremely low ceiling for football. You're also using an anomalous decade of UK football to prove your point. This isn't the standard for UK football.Typically UK is a 3 or 4 win program, 5 or 6 in a good year, 0-2 in a bad year. Kentucky simply doesn't have the recruiting base to be a top program and their current level of competitiveness is probably on borrowed time. No longer playing an SEC East schedule will seriously impact their results.
South Carolina is surrounded by accessible high school football players (DC, Virginia, NC,SC, GA and FL)that are theoretically obtainable with the right coach. They're hemmed in with Clemson and UGA being really good at the moment but that probably won't last forever either. Historically they've been an underachiever but they have a potential that Kentucky simply will never have.

I'd be willing to bet a substantial amount that over the next 10-25 years that South Carolina outperforms Kentucky.

As a fan, I'd much rather go to Columbia for a trip every other year than Lexington. Playing Kentucky annually is certainly the better deal for wins and losses.

Last edited:
I hate South Carolina as much as anybody (I live here) but they are leaps and bounds above Kentucky in terms of potential and etc - they certainly outrecruit Kentucky and put 85000 into their stadium every week.
They are both midgets, I get that, but South Carolina is a much taller one.

Reactions: Hyperion
That makes absolutely no sense for Kentucky or Vandy.

TN is most important game for Kentucky and Vandy.

Tennessee - Kentucky is 2nd most played rivalry in SEC.

Vandy is second most important team for Kentucky and vice versa.
And they're like 13th and 14th most important for us

We can alternate UK or Vandy every year instead

Let's look at this from a different standpoint. Assume each team gets to prioritize and select one must have annual rivalry:

TN: AL - 3rd Saturday
AL: Aub because they know TN will pick them
Aub: AL or UGA if they know Bama picks them
UGA: Aub
FL: UGA
KY: TN 2nd longest SEC Rivalry
Vandy: TN in-state rival and probably 3rd longest running SEC Rivalry
SCAR: UGA or KY
Mizzou: OK or Ark
MissST: Ole Miss
Ole Miss: LSU or Arky if they know MissState picks them
Arky: LSU, TX or Ole Miss
LSU: Arky, Ole Miss or MissSt
aTm: uTa
uTa: OK
OK: uTa

Tennessee would have 3 1st Rivalry selections as would UGA and TX. All very justifiable selections. And we wouldn't have to worry about lawmakers getting involved regarding in-state Vandy game because they would.

Last edited:
Let's look at this from a different standpoint. Assume each team gets to prioritize and select one must have annual rivalry:

TN: AL - 3rd Saturday
AL: Aub because they know TN will pick them
Aub: AL or UGA if they know Bama picks them
UGA: Aub
FL: UGA
KY: TN 2nd longest SEC Rivalry
Vandy: TN in-state rival and probably 3rd longest running SEC Rivalry
SCAR: UGA or KY
Mizzou: OK or Ark
MissST: Ole Miss
Ole Miss: LSU or Arky if they know MissState picks them
Arky: LSU, TX or Ole Miss
LSU: Arky, Ole Miss or MissSt
aTm: uTa
uTa: OK
OK: uTa

Tennessee would have 3 1st Rivalry selections as would UGA and TX. All very justifiable selections. And we wouldn't have to worry about lawmakers getting involved regarding in-state Vandy game because they would.
There's no amount of justification that will make me ok with not playing Florida to play a team that hasn't been relevant in this conference since the 1920s and a team that does good to be mediocre

VN Store

Back