Breaking: TX, OU Reach Agreement to Join SEC in 2024

The real sobering thought for me is this. All those things about the Third Saturday in October, all those special aspects that make it unique ... in this new world of 3 and 6 rotating, there will be no new rivalries. None. Teams that only place twice in four years won't ever develop rivalries, or if they do, the rivalries will be stuff ginned up by companies to market games. Sterile, corporate-manufactured things like "Red River Rivalry" or the "River City Showdown." Fake, stupid, pointless drivel ground down to a boring shine by ESPN and whoever owns whatever.

Whoever you get in your three games - those will be the only potential rivals from that point on. Nothing new will ever have the opportunity to develop. That means periods like Florida-Tennessee in the 1990s will never happen again. And for the record, UT-UF in the 1990s was AMAZING. It was red hot stuff, the BIGGEST marquee game in the SEC for years and years, outshining even the Alabama game. For 3 or 4 years there, the UT-UF game was THE game in the SEC. I have so many memories from those times, and those games (even if a lot of them sucked for us).

Nothing like that can happen in a format where you see teams once every two years. We'll have the Alabama game, but that will be it. Kentucky and Vandy will never be true legitimate threats to us, and we'll never again develop a new rivalry or see another opponent emerge as a rival. Us and Alabama, locked in a death grip, and that will be it. That kind of sucks. And, to me, is incredibly sad.

You’ve hit the nail on the head. That’s why I would love the Florida game to stay a yearly blood match.
Or maybe crank one up with Texas - that just seems perfect to me.
Either of those is light years ahead of playing Vandy or Kentucky.
Hell- get Oklahoma, I can learn to despise them I suppose.
Or Georgia. Or South Carolina.
Anybody but those two craptastic situations!

I can understand that preference, especially for those who began following UT football seriously after the introduction of divisions or who live in Florida. For my part, I don't view Florida as a natural rival. We don't share a border. I'm not aware of any place in which significant numbers of UT fans are intermingled with significant numbers of Florida fans; opportunities for asserting bragging rights are quite limited for most. If we're not perennially vying for dominance of our shared division, to me the game loses much of its significance.

If we can have only three annual rivals, I'd make them Bama, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt (in that order). Auburn would take the fourth place, and Florida (with perhaps a slight advantage) would vie with Ole Miss for fifth. Not everyone will agree with this, and I can appreciate others ranking our rivalries in a different order of priority (so long, that is, as they don't deprive the Third Saturday in October of its rightful place atop them all).
My personal opinion is keep Bama and I don’t care about the rest! If FL AND GA don’t have to play stronger schedules then neither should we and they absolutely need to be in the rotational category, especially because that’s where we are from their side as a “rival”! We are not even their #2 “rival”!!!

Last edited:
And none of that has to do with anything I was talking about past the first couple sentences, so congratulations on wasting your time to type that.

Except for the part where having Vandy on the schedule every year because I want a guaranteed win. DUH! I'll get that every 2 years regardless. A 9 game schedule is a gauntlet for everyone in the conference. I don't necessarily want it, but it's what's going to happen because the history of the rivalries mean something. Whether you agree with them or not. The Vols matter as much to the Gators as Vandy does to the Vols.

Thing is, nobody on the UT side gives a flying crap about playing Vandy. To quote a famous coach: “that game is irrelevant- unless you lose.”
And the Kentucky game is garbage too.

Those games just don’t get the blood boiling. I mean those are the two worst teams in the conference. They aren’t rivalries. They just aren’t.
One of them is ok, but not both.

But somehow the Vols get the Gators blood boiling? Or Bama's? Or UGA's? The blood boils equally if both teams are winning about the same as they're losing, which for the past 10 years would be Vandy, Kentucky and South Carolina for the Vols. It's a cyclical thing.

My take is the conference is going to let every team claim a rivalry game for gate receipts, bragging rights or from a historical context. Vols will take Alabama hands down, Vanderbilt and Kentucky will choose the Vols.

Posted it before I'll post it again

No Divisions
3 permanent and rotate 6 a year

UT: Bama, UF, UK
UF: UT, LSU, UGA
AUB: Bama, UGA, Miss St
Bama: UT, LSU, AUB
LSU: Bama, UF, Ole Miss
UGA: UF, AUB, SCar
UK: Vandy, UT, SCar
SCar: UGA, UK, Arkansas
Mizzou: Arkansas, A&M, OU
Vandy: Ole Miss, UK, Miss St
Ole Miss: Vandy, Miss St, LSU
Miss St: Ole Miss, Vandy, AUB
Arkansas: Mizzou, Texas, SCar
A&M: Texas, OU, Mizzou
Texas: OU, A&M, Arkansas
OU: Texas, Mizzou, A&M

Another option would be:
Move Bama and Auburn to the East
Move Mizzou, Texas, OU to the West
Geography, it would make sense to move AL and AU to the East. Then bring OK and TX to the WEST.

Reactions: Vol865
Thing is, nobody on the UT side gives a flying crap about playing Vandy. To quote a famous coach: “that game is irrelevant- unless you lose.”

Those games just don’t get the blood boiling. I mean those are the two worst teams in the conference. They aren’t rivalries. They just aren’t.
They are rivalries, we've played them more than anybody. They just haven't been super competitive. I think we are 6-5 against Vandy the last 11 years. That'll be our 3 permanents: Bama, UK and Vandy.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Geography, it would make sense to move AL and AU to the East. Then bring OK and TX to the WEST.
Divisions aren't going to continue past this year. It's going to be single division, either 3/6/6 or 1/7/7 depending on whether it's 9 or 8 conference games.

I think it peaked 1979-1983

Depends on what you mean by peaked lol.

I think Nashville was at its peak from 2005-2015. That said, all of the “It Cities” have sorta faded. I’m not sure what the heir apparent are now. Some have suggested Memphis is poised to get there, but we’ll see.

Nashville and Middle Tennessee are still growing at a very high rate. Murfreesboro now has a population of over 150,000. Unbelievable! I am moving to the Spring Hill area soon. The growth of this area is insane, too, and 31 needs to be expanded to 2 lanes immediately haha.

Memphis…I just don’t see it. Memphis hasn’t even gained population since the early 80’s. Nashville has had double digit percentage growth in population for over 3 decades with no signs of stopping. And if it does, it’s only because the suburbs start gaining all the population instead.

Memphis has some new things going for it that I think could reverse that trend. The biggest being that Blue Oval City mega complex that Ford Motor Company is building in Stanton. That’s going to bring a ton of good jobs to the area. Stanton’s population will probably grow 100x in the next 2 decades. That’s a big deal to me. But they are currently the clear #2 city in TN, to me, and far from an It city.

Last edited:
Just curious, and my apologies if this has already been asked or addressed, I saw with the addition of TX and OU that there would be no divisions (W or E). What than about the SECCG? Will there still be a conference championship game? Just some thoughts.

Just curious, and my apologies if this has already been asked or addressed, I saw with the addition of TX and OU that there would be no divisions (W or E). What than about the SECCG? Will there still be a conference championship game? Just some thoughts.

Yes on championship game - it will be the top two teams. And they will both already be in the CFP most likely - but getting the bye will be vitally important to winning the CFP- especially as injuries from three weeks of playoff ball pile up.

I can understand that preference, especially for those who began following UT football seriously after the introduction of divisions or who live in Florida. For my part, I don't view Florida as a natural rival. We don't share a border. I'm not aware of any place in which significant numbers of UT fans are intermingled with significant numbers of Florida fans; opportunities for asserting bragging rights are quite limited for most. If we're not perennially vying for dominance of our shared division, to me the game loses much of its significance.

If we can have only three annual rivals, I'd make them Bama, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt (in that order). Auburn would take the fourth place, and Florida (with perhaps a slight advantage) would vie with Ole Miss for fifth. Not everyone will agree with this, and I can appreciate others ranking our rivalries in a different order of priority (so long, that is, as they don't deprive the Third Saturday in October of its rightful place atop them all).
Florida-LSU no border
Michigan-Minnesota no border
Texas-Nebraska no border

In most cases that is the case for rivalries but it's not a prerequisite. I get your points but I'd take Bama, Florida, then Vandy/UK.

Except for the part where having Vandy on the schedule every year because I want a guaranteed win. DUH! I'll get that every 2 years regardless. A 9 game schedule is a gauntlet for everyone in the conference. I don't necessarily want it, but it's what's going to happen because the history of the rivalries mean something. Whether you agree with them or not. The Vols matter as much to the Gators as Vandy does to the Vols.
That is an asinine statement. We are not Vandy in any situation to anyone. We beat Florida and they say it was a matter of time and there is mutual dislike at the very least. Vandy beats us and people want answers yesterday.

Florida-LSU no border
Michigan-Minnesota no border
Texas-Nebraska no border

In most cases that is the case for rivalries but it's not a prerequisite. I get your points but I'd take Bama, Florida, then Vandy/UK.

I could live with that.

Reactions: Vol865
Congressmen get involved in if Tennesse and Vandy don't play every year. Just look at all the turmoil with FL-Miami series not being annual and triple it because they are both in the same conference.
I doubt if our house and senate have enough Vandy (or for that matter UT) alum type loyalty to really care. Maybe enough UT support overall to pay attention to this game, but not with the passion of the Fla - Miami game. The only driving force for this game is MONEY. Nashville business as a whole, if they would admit it, give a tinker's damn if Vandy beats UT or vis-versa. All they are interested in is the MONEY!;)

90% chance of a win and as Metro-Nashville population continues to explode, this is a key recruiting area for the Vols.

This is also the best chance for many in Middle/West Tennessee to see the Vols play.

Reactions: DuckInAPen

The current head football coach at the University of Tennessee seems to care.

"Obviously, there are some that have been historic for a long time – inside of our own state, and with Alabama.” - Josh Heuple

Even though a continuation of divisions has already been confirmed not to be happening, your suggestion adds 2 teams (Alabama and Auburn) to an already 7-team East, giving it 9 teams. The now 5-team West (having lost 2 teams in Alabama and Auburn) would only be getting 2 more teams (Texas and Oklahoma)…meaning the West would have 7 teams.

So that would create 2 unbalanced divisions of 9 and 7 teams in the East and West, respectively.

Just saw this from someone in Alabama- more in the know than me - not in stone or etc just an opinion on what they are likely to do.

SEC PERMANENT RIVALS (3/6/6 model) - revaluation after 8 seasons- 2032

Alabama: Auburn, Tennessee, LSU

Arkansas: Texas, Missouri, Oklahoma

Auburn: Alabama, Georgia, Vanderbilt

Florida: Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina

Georgia: Florida, Auburn, South Carolina

Kentucky: Ole Miss, Missouri, Mississippi State

LSU: Alabama, Texas A&M, Ole Miss

Mississippi State: Ole Miss, Kentucky, Missouri

Missouri: Arkansas, Kentucky, Mississippi State

Oklahoma: Arkansas, Texas, Texas A&M

Ole Miss: Mississippi State, LSU, Kentucky

South Carolina: Vanderbilt, Georgia, Florida

Tennessee: Florida, Alabama, Vanderbilt

Texas: Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Arkansas

Texas A&M: Texas, LSU, Oklahoma

Vanderbilt: Tennessee, South Carolina, Auburn

Just saw this from someone in Alabama- more in the know than me - not in stone or etc just an opinion on what they are likely to do.

I'd bet that doesn't happen just based on Alabama's schedule. No way Saban allows that.

I'd bet that doesn't happen just based on Alabama's schedule. No way Saban allows that.
Don’t think it has much to do with Saban, the conference isn’t going to saddle a team with three “tier-1” programs as permanent opponents. This same model has A&M with annual opponents of Texas, LSU, and Oklahoma. That’s not going to happen either.

Nothing to do with Saban, the conference isn’t going to saddle a team with three “tier-1” programs as permanent opponents. This same model has A&M with annual opponents of Texas, LSU, and Oklahoma. That’s not going to happen either.
That may be true they wouldn't propose that to start with. But your crazy if you think he isn't trying to influence the scheduling.

They're also not going to saddle UK with Mizz and two West teams. They may well get State. But why in the world would they get Ole Miss over Tennessee or Vandy. We're basically they're only traditional rivals currently.

If that happens, Kentucky will be rightfully upset not to get their biggest rival (Tennessee).

VN Store

Back