Billy Napier to Florida

Napier has a better resume than anyone we've hired since Majors.
Butch Jones’ head coaching resume was better. 4 conference titles total at two different schools. And the Big East was a better conference than the sunbelt. Had both schools finish seasons ranked in the Top 25. Napier had a good track record as an assistant at major programs and has shown a ton of potential as a HC elevating ULL, but doesn’t have quite the resume

Last edited:
Reactions: Behr and Rickyvol77
Why do you like it?
Florida was always going to be an attractive job and could have attracted alot of interest...but also high pressure and the 3 year to turn it around of the past is out the door...I like the hire FOR them because he knows what it takes to win at the highest level (Clemson Alabama) his LA teams have improved every season...he knows how to recruit in the south....there is always a risk of not being able to handle big time jobs...Kiffin at USC.....Sark at Texas so far....think he was about as good of a choice as there was out there

Butch Jones’ head coaching resume was better. 4 conference titles total at two different schools. And the Big East was a better conference than the sunbelt. Had both schools finish seasons ranked in the Top 25. Napier had a good track record as an assistant at major programs and has shown a ton of potential as a HC elevating ULL, but doesn’t have quite the resume
Butch Jones took over for Brian Kelly twice. Those programs were already rolling. Butch did not improve them. Napier elevated Louisiana big time.

Reactions: Sub Par SUPERSTAR
Butch Jones maintained two programs Brian Kelly built and you know this.

They went all in on Lincoln Riley and missed. Now Napier is off the board for them. Riley announced today he has no interest in LSU and is staying at Oklahoma. Now LSU is down to there 3rd choice. Starting to turn into there baseball search all over again and they will swear they got the man they wanted all along after settling for there 4th or 5th choice.

Jesus that sounds depressingly familiar.

Florida was always going to be an attractive job and could have attracted alot of interest...but also high pressure and the 3 year to turn it around of the past is out the door...I like the hire FOR them because he knows what it takes to win at the highest level (Clemson Alabama) his LA teams have improved every season...he knows how to recruit in the south....there is always a risk of not being able to handle big time jobs...Kiffin at USC.....Sark at Texas so far....think he was about as good of a choice as there was out there

Yeah, well I'm the opposite. IF he is all that, I hate it. I don't like anything about it and I have a hard time understanding why a Vol fan wouldn't feel the same.

Reactions: VolnJC
Butch Jones maintained two programs Brian Kelly built and you know this.
Butch Jones won those conference championships in years one, two, and three. Not just year one. And besides that irrelevant to the matter of this resume. He won those championships.

Napier has a few troubling aspects to his tenure. His biggest upset is over Iowa State, but the composite talent gap from Iowa State to them is actually smaller than the gap from Florida to at least 3 teams they lost to this season.

Biggest red flags, he had to have a late touchdown to beat Butch this year and his 2-10 squad. They also had to have a 4th quarter FG to beat Nichols State, an FCS team that wasn't very good this year and lost to Incarnate Word. They had to have a late defensive stand to stop a 3 win Georgia Southern team from potetially sending it to overtime. The South Alabama team we just rolled missed a 37yd FG that would have won the game for them over Napier. They had to come from behind to squeak one out over Georgia State. They got smashed by what turned out to be a bad Texas team in their loss.

His quarterback started every game for the last three years and only has about 3 or 4 300 yard games in his career. They appear to be an old school, run first offense. They don't score a ton of points vs some really bad defenses at times. Not sure how well that will go over in Florida.

Biggest positive is that he finds ways to win against teams he's evenly matched with, even if it's ugly at times. I doubt his 4 year record is better than Mullen's but you never know.

Not a homerun, but a solid double. Hopefully he has the intangibles of the job figured out better than Mac and Mullen.

His head coaching resume’ is excellent, but it’s limited. Amazing success, but at only one small school stop.

I like that he’s learned under a couple of the best in Dabo and Saban, I love what I hear about his attention to detail and CEO-type leadership. I also love that he’s apparently an excellent recruiter. I’d prefer a little more coordinator experience, I’d prefer more HC experience at a bigger program.

I’m not calling it a slam dunk or a homerun, but I’m optimistic and hopeful. I do like that he was apparently Stricklin’s first and only candidate, and while LSU was chasing dreams, Florida was locking in on Napier even before Mullen was fired.

Here we go, new era of Florida football, new era of the UF-UT rivalry.

LSU can name their price on a coach. If they didn't hire Napier, it's likely because he wasn't high on their list. I will be surprised if it isn't Aranda or Riley for LSU.
Then prepare to be surprised. Aranda signed an extension I believe, and Riley said he is staying put.

The first time FBSH published second order wins by head coaches was already into Butch Jones’ tenure at Tennessee, but the majority of them still came from his previous two schools. He was relatively high up on the list. I know UT fans expectations were higher at the time and he did flame out, but he did have a decent track record as a HC when we hired him. Most all of the numbers back that up
Which coaches over- or underachieve the most?

VN Store

Back