Billy Napier to Florida

If Riley goes to Southern California, the chances of Heupel pulling a Kiffin is a long shot and Napier to Florida is a double at best.

Reactions: SmokeVol
Mullen had 4 years to recruit in the SEC. Doubt Napier had that kind of talent at his disposal at LA.

He had similar or better talent than most of the teams he played though. He has the 2nd most talent in the Sun Belt behind Arky State. Butch and he played neck and neck but Butch managed to go 2-10. They have 14 fewer players than Appalachian State for instance but still have more talent than Appy State per the composite talent rankings. It also helps in the many close games they've played that he has a super senior QB with about 40 starts under his belt.

They were like four way ties. They were the undisputed king of the mountain when he took over.
Take it up w the big east. They were awarded conference titles. And those you add to a resume which is what this conversation relates to.

Take it up w the big east. They were awarded conference titles. And those you add to a resume which is what this conversation relates to.
His resume was weak, which is why we were fighting off Kentucky (who I hear passed) and Colorado for him.

This is a very good hire for Florida, especially recruiting-wise. Napier can really tap into all the talent that comes out of Louisiana.

And yet it was better than Billy Napiers which is the point.
Napier took a crap team and made them good. That’s exactly what Florida needs. That’s exactly what Tennessee has needed, but we haven’t hired someone that’s done that since Majors. That’s the kind of resume I’d be seeking. Napier’s ability to build may not scale to SEC level, but he’s got a chance. Hire enough guys like that and you’ll eventually get it right.

Reactions: Stephen A Smith
Napier took a crap team and made them good. That’s exactly what Florida needs. That’s exactly what Tennessee has needed, but we haven’t hired someone that’s done that since Majors.
I totally agree but my argument is that is different than having having a better resume than a coach who has multiple conference titles with different teams. There are tons of coaches who have improved some bottom dweller and then flamed out at higher levels

This is a very good hire for Florida, especially recruiting-wise. Napier can really tap into all the talent that comes out of Louisiana.

LSU and Alabama get that talent. Napier won't need it. Florida has plenty to go around. Way more than Louisiana and all the Florida schools are down right now. Also the Louisiana talent is sort of mythical. Mississippi produces the most scholarship football players per capita now. Louisiana isn't in the top 5. Florida has 60 blue chip recruits in 2020. Louisiana had 16. Tennessee had 11.

At one time Louisiana had the most NFL players per capita but not sure if that still holds or not.

Reactions: Stephen A Smith
There are no guarantees. Resume is as positive as it can be.

Sometimes things that make sense don’t work out and sometimes they don’t.

Heard he is a good recruiter. Hope that is true. Anthony Richardson is his first recruit

There are no guarantees. Resume is as positive as it can be.

Sometimes things that make sense don’t work out and sometimes they don’t.

Heard he is a good recruiter. Hope that is true. Anthony Richardson is his first recruit

Getting AR to stick around is indeed the first task. Needs to sell him on the notion that we will surround him with 5 star receivers to put his draft stock where it needs to be in 2 years.

I am not thrilled about this hire. I have doubts about his recruiting ability given the complete lack of ties to the state of Florida and his offense is essentially the antithesis of SOS like offense, aka Mullen 2.0.

I"ll support him but I am not expecting any championships out of this hire. Hope he proves me wrong.

You’re looking for a reason to knock him and he hasn’t even had the opening presser yet. He was at Clemson 3 years under Dabo, 5 years at Bama under Saban. I don’t care if it’s bringing them coffee, he was within the organization long enough to see them function. And he’s parlayed that into a helluva job at Louisiana.

But hate on… I’m sure you hated the previous UF coaches as well.
So has BUTCH! 😂

He was actually Dabo's OC and set a record for points scored in his first year at Clemson.
Yeah he was SO GOOD as OC at Clemson that he parlayed that into an analyst and position coach role at other schools 😂😂. Keep hoping tho...

Attachments

• 1A4D76E1-35D6-42BC-B535-F6E28488737D.png
    1A4D76E1-35D6-42BC-B535-F6E28488737D.png
    170.5 KB · Views: 9
You’re looking for a reason to knock him and he hasn’t even had the opening presser yet. He was at Clemson 3 years under Dabo, 5 years at Bama under Saban. I don’t care if it’s bringing them coffee, he was within the organization long enough to see them function. And he’s parlayed that into a helluva job at Louisiana.

But hate on… I’m sure you hated the previous UF coaches as well.
He parlayed that job at Clemson into an analyst role at bama and position coaching jobs at a couple places. Not that good

I totally agree but my argument is that is different than having having a better resume than a coach who has multiple conference titles with different teams. There are tons of coaches who have improved some bottom dweller and then flamed out at higher levels
Justin Fuentes and Mike Norvell come to mind. The sledding is a little tougher.

VN Store

Back