Better pay heupel

Simple as “I’ll give you what you want…..but it’s a 100% buyout both ways”

Make hitting the ignore button a lot easier when he’s courted in the off season.

I really like the idea of performance-based pay, but that just isn't the norm for coaching, and it probably isn't necessary for CJH. I may be wrong, but he doesn't strike me as a mercenary coach. I know (from a personal friend) that he and his family are very happy in Knoxville. He is tight with Danny White. He loves the game and is building towards a dynasty and legendary status. Money is not an issue.

He's going to get a hefty raise, and rightfully so.

For any of you saying no to Heupel getting a raise. Explain why Kiffin, Stoops, Napier, Fisher and Pittman should be making more than Heupel.
If you raise him 2.3 M it puts him barely above Napier and Kiffin. So bump him up to 7.5-8 M with a 39-40 M buyout. Add another 1- 1.5 M total to the asst. Except Martinez. Maybe give him a Walmart gift card.

Reactions: Kngsport VFL
He at least needs to be brought up to more of a league average 6-7 million/yr…that’s just fair. I hate these inflated salaries as much as anyone but that’s the world we live in now. Tennessee needs continuity now more than ever.

Coaches gotta pay $7.00 for eggs just like the rest of us. Pay the man

Reactions: NCFisher
For any of you saying no to Heupel getting a raise. Explain why Kiffin, Stoops, Napier, Fisher and Pittman should be making more than Heupel.

Not saying yes or no, just suggesting that maybe White understands what the situation is and his relationship with Heupel is such that the two have an understanding. Instead of throwing silly figures around and comparing what he's making to other coaches, why not trust the two of them to take care of this?

I hope like hell that what is keeping Heupel here is about more than a quick raise anytime the team has a little success, because if that's the case it makes him no better than mercenaries like Fisher and Freeze. I see White and Heupel building a culture here that goes beyond simply money, and I'm sure Heupel's salary will be taken care of in due time.

Reactions: Gandalf
Well............CJH deserves to make more than them......but those Universities are baffoons for paying them as much as they make.

Here is a novel idea give a base salary say 5 million a year then pay per victory say 250k each win plus 1 million bonus to win sec championship and another 2 million bonus to win national championship. Pay to win then everyone has a reason to win.

That's not how the salary landscape works. You pay the going rate and if that's $8-9M, you don't get to jerk your coach around with less secure salary than his peers. Heupel is 11th in SEC salary; open the vault.
Besides, everyone already has a reason to win, it's literally why they coach. If they can't win as many as desired, you replace them.

He just received a million dollar raise - what were you thinking he needed and how much are you willing to chip in? Are you one of the one's that also felt we needed to give Fulmer a big raise before he slipped away.
1. See above - 1 M raise
2. I think his contract has bonus clauses
3. He loves it in Knoxville
4. He loves his AD
5. Can we wait till someone else tries to hire him away or are you recommending we just pay him because you are having a good day on the heels of our win yesterday?
6. Cart in front of horse much?

Heupel will be making 7-8 million a year next year. He will either be paid that at UT or another program, but he will be making that much.

If you raise him 2.3 M it puts him barely above Napier and Kiffin. So bump him up to 7.5-8 M with a 39-40 M buyout. Add another 1- 1.5 M total to the asst. Except Martinez. Maybe give him a Walmart gift card.

A Walmart card for Martinez? He may not be a decent secondary coach but the guy can recruit and for that he deserves a Visa Vanilla Gift Card.

Stoops just got a raise, Drinkwitz got a raise, and Kiffin got a raise. You pay him well, and you pay him now.
This. Can’t say much about Kiffin. He and his agent played Auburn and Ole Miss like a flute. If Stoops and Drinkwitz are making more than Josh, we deserve what we get. That is blatantly ridiculous. Pay the man.

We’re all fretting over something not in our control. Meanwhile, Dan White maybe has an awareness of the situation. 😅

Coach Heupel deserves a big raise, an extension and a HUGE buyout added to his contract. Pay the man or someone else will.

We’ve paid through the nose for coaches who didn’t accomplish half of what he has done.

Reward excellence. That being said, I don’t think we will do as well next year, but I think Heupel is the right guy to take this program where we want to go. I’m just hoping that people don’t start complaining next year when things aren’t as magical.

Let’s say next year is a 8-9 win year and fans complain. I’m happy that we are finally relevant again. Opponents have to worry about us rather than just pencil in a win like we are Vanderbilt. Allow the guy to build something special for the long term. This year was super special. It will be hard to duplicate this every year, even if that’s the goal.

Heupel will be making 7-8 million a year next year. He will either be paid that at UT or another program, but he will be making that much.

White is not a goofy fan and isn't going to let that happen over $$.

Primarily, you show him appreciation. Only GA has more wins. You don't have him making $2-4M less than guys he beat, as if he's some chump.

Reactions: grandjason
I’m waiting on some school to do this except with higher incentives. Like some desperate school too. 6-7 million per year with like $500k to win division, $1m to win conference, $1m to make playoff, $2m to make natty, $5m to win natty.

Like who wouldn’t pay 15-20 million one time to win a natty if you weren’t guaranteed to be paying that amount every year unless you just won a natty every year.[/

Right idea but numbers need to be modified.

I would make it clear to CJH that he will get raise and contract extension commiserate with market top based on a performance based contract for him and his coaches. This keeps buyout down but payout possible at the top of market.

I would take his pay to about 8m and make 4 years. I would have about 8m of bonuses if he was to win the sec division(1m), sec championship(2m) and NC(5m). It’s a lot of bonus but who could argue withstood a NC wouldn’t be worth that to UT. I would have assistant coaches mirror the high payout for performance.

Lastly, the contract would be update every year to be commiserate with top payout as long as the program appears to be moving forward and I’m not just talking about record but with quality of win/loses and of recruitment of quality players and men.

With a 4 year contract at 8m that is performance based the maximum buyout at end of year would be 24m.

Last edited:
I’m waiting on some school to do this except with higher incentives. Like some desperate school too. 6-7 million per year with like $500k to win division, $1m to win conference, $1m to make playoff, $2m to make natty, $5m to win natty.

Like who wouldn’t pay 15-20 million one time to win a natty if you weren’t guaranteed to be paying that amount every year unless you just won a natty every year.
Would be great if you win the natty sure, which for an SEC team if you win the division and conference the lowest incentives, the others are fairly likely to also be hit. A structure like that could be brutal if you are a Notre dame fan with Brian Kelly or a Michigan fan with harbaugh the last few years. You would be paying out a lot of money to guys that can’t get it done when the games really matter.
edit: i though you had wins per game also like the guy you were replying too which would have put those scenarios as paying in the 16-17 mil a year range but i see that you did not which would have those guys making a reasonable price for that performance for in the 10mil range

Simple as “I’ll give you what you want…..but it’s a 100% buyout both ways”

Make hitting the ignore button a lot easier when he’s courted in the off season.

I am curious to see how they handle this issue. He likes where he is at and is trying to build something but his demand is very high. A coach who can bring an offense like this to the table and turn a program around quickly would be seen as less of a gamble and more likely to receive a huge offer. He is going to get offers. I am sure the AD will think of something. You need to make sure he is satisfied as well because some team might go after both of them.

Well he got a 1 M bump for going 7-5, so I think he will be doing just fine without all the fretting and handwringing here on Volnation. We have some worries - getting CJH paid is not going to be one of them.

Best record in over TWO DECADES and people are stingily arguing over a few million dollars per year 😳
Pay. The. Man.
“People” who have no effect on the outcome…to be exact.

To who? He got a raise and extension a few games into this season. I’m not saying he’s not deserving to make as much as a Stoops or Kiffin but who has an opening at a school more prestigious than UT right now?
So, you want to build a feeling of appreciation for his work or not?

What I'm hearing from you is: yeah, he's worth the money but we don't have to pay him yet.

That's a helluva lot of respect and appreciation for an employee. That's how you build relationships with your staff. Sheesh.

To who? He got a raise and extension a few games into this season. I’m not saying he’s not deserving to make as much as a Stoops or Kiffin but who has an opening at a school more prestigious than UT right now?

The previous raise was agreed to in the summer and wasn’t announced until the season started.

Just like the Barnes raise, this is peanuts to a place like UT. The coaches pay for their own raises because the success/exciting level of play fill the arena/stadium and bring in other revenue streams. The exposure and money streams that UT created off the Bama win alone brought in revenue. It’s a no-brainer.

VN Store

Back