Better pay heupel

So, you want to build a feeling of appreciation for his work or not?

What I'm hearing from you is: yeah, he's worth the money but we don't have to pay him yet.

That's a helluva lot of respect and appreciation for an employee. That's how you build relationships with your staff. Sheesh.

I didn’t say he’s worth the money. I asked who’s taking him? He got a raise and an extension 3 months ago, if he’s happy here and has no where else to go then what’s the point in upping his pay just for the sake of it.

I didn’t say he’s worth the money. I asked who’s taking him? He got a raise and an extension 3 months ago, if he’s happy here and has no where else to go then what’s the point in upping his pay just for the sake of it.
You said EXACTLY "I’m not saying he’s not deserving to make as much as a Stoops or Kiffin" so don't try to say you didn't.

You ignore what I said. Not paying him what comparable coaches get, you know..... his peers in his profession is disrespectful and can do nothing but signal to Coach Heupel we're willing to "play chicken" that he has nowhere to go rather than pay him what the market value is for an SEC coach.

Also, let's flip the script. Who are we going to get who is as good if he leaves? We're protecting our own interests by paying him.

2 of them didn’t deserve anything close to a raise…
Houses don't deserve to be overpriced but the market could care less what you think is the right price.

If you want a house, you'll either live substandard or you'll pay the market price.

We want a quality coach. We have a quality coach. His coaching peers get paid market value and if we want to keep him, we'll keep up with the market.

That's how America works.

The previous raise was agreed to in the summer and wasn’t announced until the season started.

Just like the Barnes raise, this is peanuts to a place like UT. The coaches pay for their own raises because the success/exciting level of play fill the arena/stadium and bring in other revenue streams. The exposure and money streams that UT created off the Bama win alone brought in revenue. It’s a no-brainer.
Do I believe he’s better than what we had in the past? Yes. But I’m still conservative enough that 2 seasons isn’t an ample enough sample size for me to throw around $7-$10M. McElwain went to ATL his first 2 years, won 20 games, was 4-4 vs. their rivals of UT, LSU, UGA and FSU and was gone 1/2 way through the next season. Mullen won 29 games in 3 years, made 3 straight NY6 bowls, went 7-4 vs. rivals, lost to Bama by 6 in ATL and was gone the next season. I’m just not ready if I’m running things to commit a lot more money and years in the event things go south and we’re “stuck”. We have a lot of experience with this.

Do I believe he’s better than what we had in the past? Yes. But I’m still conservative enough that 2 seasons isn’t an ample enough sample size for me to throw around $7-$10M. McElwain went to ATL his first 2 years, won 20 games, was 4-4 vs. their rivals of UT, LSU, UGA and FSU and was gone 1/2 way through the next season. Mullen won 29 games in 3 years, made 3 straight NY6 bowls, went 7-4 vs. rivals, lost to Bama by 6 in ATL and was gone the next season. I’m just not ready if I’m running things to commit a lot more money and years in the event things go south and we’re “stuck”. We have a lot of experience with this.

No offense but your thinking would make Heupel leave for another job immediately.

Reactions: SpookyAction

I agree; we will probably need to back up the brinks truck one day but that day is not today. Why pay huge sums of money only to add risk to the university side of the equation?

CKH got a good raise this fall. If we continue to trend in a good direction next fall, another big raise will be appropriate. I would try to finalize the next extension during our bye week next season. Beat UF again and SC revenge, and we can back up 2 brinks trucks.

Those two coaches probably would not have been fired right away at UT. Just depends. But you reward your employees who succeed. That’s the way business works, and Heupel has brought more of the university’s money pie since taking the job. I’m not suggesting top overall money, but he should be higher than 11th in the conference. He should be paid top 6.

That's not how the salary landscape works. You pay the going rate and if that's $8-9M, you don't get to jerk your coach around with less secure salary than his peers. Heupel is 11th in SEC salary; open the vault.
Besides, everyone already has a reason to win, it's literally why they coach. If they can't win as many as desired, you replace them.
I know that’s not how it works typically just saying that would be a new way to pay possibly some coach in the future if I’m vanderbilt
Or someone like that I would offer this type of payscale.

I agree; we will probably need to back up the brinks truck one day but that day is not today. Why pay huge sums of money only to add risk to the university side of the equation?

CKH got a good raise this fall. If we continue to trend in a good direction next fall, another big raise will be appropriate. I would try to finalize the next extension during our bye week next season. Beat UF again and SC revenge, and we can back up 2 brinks trucks.
Coach Heupel got a raise that STILL left him the 11th best paid SEC coach AFTER that raise. We got him for a steal, for an SEC coach, of $5M and raised him to $6M which is still a steal for an SEC coach.

It's not a matter of give the guy the Jimbo deal or Saban money or don't give him anything.

Give the man his due. Treat him with the respect a man who has made a huge transition in the culture and success of the program deserves. At least get him to get middle of the pack in the SEC.

You said EXACTLY "I’m not saying he’s not deserving to make as much as a Stoops or Kiffin" so don't try to say you didn't.

You ignore what I said. Not paying him what comparable coaches get, you know..... his peers in his profession is disrespectful and can do nothing but signal to Coach Heupel we're willing to "play chicken" that he has nowhere to go rather than pay him what the market value is for an SEC coach.

Also, let's flip the script. Who are we going to get who is as good if he leaves? We're protecting our own interests by paying him.
Play CHICKEN on this stage and you get FRIED. :cool:

I know that’s not how it works typically just saying that would be a new way to pay possibly some coach in the future if I’m vanderbilt
Or someone like that I would offer this type of payscale.
Works for them because they're not a destination school and that incentive check for winning anything meaningful will never be written.

At.$5mil/yr he isn't shopping at ollies , missus H isn't outfitting herself and the kids at goodwill and he doesn't shop for a good deal on a 2nd hand car.

At.$5mil/yr he isn't shopping at ollies , missus H isn't outfitting herself and the kids at goodwill and he doesn't shop for a good deal on a 2nd hand car.
Those the only grounds for him to earn more than ELI DRINKWICZ? 😏

Reactions: DuckInAPen
I assume you expect to be paid like your peers in whatever you do or you feel dissatisfied with your employer and think about other job opportunities.

I also suspect your skill is not anywhere NEAR as scarce as a decent SEC coach. They don't grow on trees. We happen to have found a good one, a very good one at turning around a dumpster fire program and putting us back where we belong.

Seriously, they don't grow on trees and they get paid really good money....... or they go somewhere where they get paid really good money.

This should be immediately announced after an unbelievable season and a major bowl win!

Pay the Man!!!!! 9 million for 9 years! If KY can pay their coach that much, we can as well!!!!!!!

VN Store

Back