Better pay heupel

Coaches need to have incentive to win. $5MM base salary, $400,000 for each win during the season. $1MM for SECG win, $1.5MM for each playoff win, $3MM for a NCG win.

If the Vols won the SECG he’d bank $10.8MM. Under the current Playoff system he’d bank $16.8MM for a National Championship.

Obviously, if the playoff system goes to 8 or 12 teams the incentive payout in the post season would have to be altered. Maybe back down to $400,000 per game and a huge payout for a National Championship.

Regardless, I think we’ve found our coach and he needs to be paid well. Not Saban or Kirby well but at least in the 75th to 80th percentile range for the SEC.

He definitely deserves a raise again at this point. Better pay him before someone else does

He just received a million dollar raise - what were you thinking he needed and how much are you willing to chip in? Are you one of the one's that also felt we needed to give Fulmer a big raise before he slipped away.
1. See above - 1 M raise
2. I think his contract has bonus clauses
3. He loves it in Knoxville
4. He loves his AD
5. Can we wait till someone else tries to hire him away or are you recommending we just pay him because you are having a good day on the heels of our win yesterday?
6. Cart in front of horse much?

Really impressed with the culture Heupel seems to be building with the football program. Having high character guys like Hooker and Milton leading the locker room certainly helps. Reminds me of Barnes and the basketball team. Guys that care and support each other and want to win

He just received a million dollar raise - what were you thinking he needed and how much are you willing to chip in? Are you one of the one's that also felt we needed to give Fulmer a big raise before he slipped away.
1. See above - 1 M raise
4. He loves his AD
5. Can we wait till someone else tries to hire him away or are you recommending we just pay him because you are having a good day on the heels of our win yesterday?
No, I was hoping fulmer would be fired long before he was. Looking at what he has done in the sec yea he deserves a much bigger raise. Look at what lesser coaches are getting paid and it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know it’s a business and if your not willing to pay to keep then others will be willing to pay to bring him on. Of all the stupid raises and hires Tennessee has made in the last 15 years why would you not pay the one proven winner.

1. See above - 1 M raise
4. He loves his AD
I would have loved to see Fulmer gone after the 2001 season that was where he began resting on his laurels and never did much after that point.

It's an embarrassment what he is paid compared to the other coaches in the conference. PAY THE MAN. And pay this staff too.

This all day long!

Yes, coaching salaries are ridiculous. But the market sets the rate…not our emotional reactions. And Heupel is being paid an amount that is embarrassingly way under the market rate.

Last edited:
No, I was hoping fulmer would be fired long before he was. Looking at what he has done in the sec yea he deserves a much bigger raise. Look at what lesser coaches are getting paid and it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know it’s a business and if your not willing to pay to keep then others will be willing to pay to bring him on. Of all the stupid raises and hires Tennessee has made in the last 15 years why would you not pay the one proven winner.

First - all the coaches have agents who are very adept at requesting and receiving raises - which is why he received a 1 M raise last year. When the time is right, I am sure CJH and his agent will be able to negotiate without the help of Vol Nation. I do know that we need an OC which typically comes at a cost of 1M or so unless unproven, and we could use several Million annually to help support NIL efforts. I like having a great winning program and coach who builds a family atmosphere probably more than most, but there is always a balance that someone somewhere has to maintain. College coaches in general are very well paid. Certainly, some are overpaid. I guess it gets old to me reading everytime we have a big win in basketball, football, baseball, women's basketball --- badminton, checkers, etc. that everyone needs a big raise. Texas A and M is much better off financially than UT and I guess you can argue that they could afford to enter into an extremely one-sided contract with Jimbo - but................. he is overpaid and his contract is crazy. Let's don't ever get that crazy.

…and did you hear him say something to the point of beating 3 of the last 4 NCs this year?
LSU
Alabama
Clemson

To add to this. Vols played all 4 of the past 4 national champs this season. Two on the road in historically difficult environments, one at home and one on a neutral field.

3 out of those 4 teams won at least 10 regular season games this season. And LSU likely gets to 10 after their bowl game.

Vols won 3 out of these 4.

That’s impressive.

First - all the coaches have agents who are very adept at requesting and receiving raises - which is why he received a 1 M raise last year. When the time is right, I am sure CJH and his agent will be able to negotiate without the help of Vol Nation. I do know that we need an OC which typically comes at a cost of 1M or so unless unproven, and we could use several Million annually to help support NIL efforts. I like having a great winning program and coach who builds a family atmosphere probably more than most, but there is always a balance that someone somewhere has to maintain. College coaches in general are very well paid. Certainly, some are overpaid. I guess it gets old to me reading everytime we have a big win in basketball, football, baseball, women's basketball --- badminton, checkers, etc. that everyone needs a big raise. Texas A and M is much better off financially than UT and I guess you can argue that they could afford to enter into an extremely one-sided contract with Jimbo - but................. he is overpaid and his contract is crazy. Let's don't ever get that crazy.

It has nothing to do with one game or even one season. There are only 3 SEC coaches being paid less…Vandy, Mizzou and SC. That is embarrassing for a program that fancies itself as a top-tier program.

I don't agree with these 10 year contracts but he needs to be making market salary to keep the wolves away. He would be my first choice to go after because he brings an offense with him, versus other coaches who are trying to do the same thing as the last coach in a slightly different way.

1. See above - 1 M raise
4. He loves his AD

All that sounds sweet, if you're wearing blinders.

When another program makes him a serious offer... Knoxville will be just another town, he will still love his AD and friend but it will be a long-distance love affair.

Yall are silly to try and underpay him because it is so special here...all college towns are special in their own way. They are even "specialer" when you're getting a big fat paycheck to coach there.

When did this happen??
During the award ceremony after the game he was praising his team's hard work leading to success. He pointed out that this team beat 3 of the last 4 national champions this season.
And he said this was just the beginning.

Reactions: cgrish
1. See above - 1 M raise
4. He loves his AD
With that attitude we will not have a horse to pull the cart. That type of thinking kept us at the bottom for 15 years.

I really like this coach. Not only is he a good X’s and O’s Coach, but he is a humble guy.
I agree completely. This is the first coach we have had since Fulmer that I genuinely like. He is respectful, confident, courteous, but not afraid to tell it like it is. Not sure if he even has a "coach speak", and he wins football games.
Not sure what more you can ask for.

No, I agree we don’t need a jimbo contract but over the last 20 years Heupel is by far the best proven coach other than Fulmer that actually deserves to be paid what he is likely owed.

Reactions: grandjason
Unfortunately it’s the world we live in. If it was the same across the board I’d agree with you. But if we don’t get him level with the competition in terms of dollars, someone else will be willing to do so. Look at what being a cheap bargain bin coach school did for us the prior 10 years. You want that again? He’s proved his worth.

Reactions: grandjason
Coaches need to have incentive to win. $5MM base salary, $400,000 for each win during the season. $1MM for SECG win, $1.5MM for each playoff win, $3MM for a NCG win.

If the Vols won the SECG he’d bank $10.8MM. Under the current Playoff system he’d bank $16.8MM for a National Championship.

Obviously, if the playoff system goes to 8 or 12 teams the incentive payout in the post season would have to be altered. Maybe back down to $400,000 per game and a huge payout for a National Championship.

Regardless, I think we’ve found our coach and he needs to be paid well. Not Saban or Kirby well but at least in the 75th to 80th percentile range for the SEC.

True winners don’t win based on financial incentives. They win because they enjoy beating others.

A true winner won’t try to win harder based on money but he will leave in a second if he feel’s disrespected by his pay or taken for granted. He will then do everything in his power to destroy the previous place that disrespected him.

Winning is a mindset.

Only downside to success is these threads. Worth it of course. #NiceProblems

Reactions: NEO

VN Store

Back