Basketball Expectations(05-06)

The Swamp

just curious as to what youre guys' basketball expectations are for this upcoming season, you guys havent been much of anything lately, but with the new coach and all (who doesnt impress me very much), there is some excitment around the program....what are some reasonable expectations for you guys?

So what is it about Pearl that doen't impress you?

I hope all Gators are not impressed and also the rest of the SEC. Then when they lose to UT and Pearl it hurt that much worse!

well for starters, why should i be impressed?

he had a nice run, i enjoyed watching his team make it that far in the tourney...but even you guys cant deny that if he didnt make that run, he wouldnt be youre coach...fact. We'll see though, i dont think you guys have the tallent to compete next year, but time will tell down the road.

back to my question, what are youre expectaions for this season?

Originally posted by The Swamp@May 15, 2005 3:58 PM

he had a nice run, i enjoyed watching his team make it that far in the tourney...but even you guys cant deny that if he didnt make that run, he wouldnt be youre coach...fact. We'll see though, i dont think you guys have the tallent to compete next year, but time will tell down the road.

[snapback]94103[/snapback]​

You are kidding me right? In the other thread you posted you think the Gators are going to win the East in football because among other things... coaching. Do you think Urban Meyer would be your coach if not for the run he made last year? :blink:

To answer your question though, I don't think we know what to expect. I think realistically we hope for a winning season, an exciting style of play and probably an NIT bid with hopes of the NCAA by Pearl's second or third year.

Fact! UT is 3-3 against UF the last 3 years even with an average team and a bad coach. By the way Pearl's pedigree is miles ahead of BillyBoys.

Fact his tournament run had only a little to do with his hiring at UT, before you spout off at the mouth you better know what your talking about and its obvoius you have no clue.

Originally posted by The Swamp@May 15, 2005 3:58 PM

[snapback]94103[/snapback]​

i said if were clicking then well be tough to beat, and with the discipline meyer will install i think were way better then we were last year b/c of coaching...but when you win 2 coach of the year awards in 4 years, yeah i think the guy can coach ;)

Urban Fantasy Meyer. Meyer has proved nothing yet, look for 7 win season in Gainesville and a loss to the old ball coach.

wow, pearl wasnt even on the map before....i guarantee atleast 70% of the vol nation had never heard of him....im not saying hes a bad coach, but he wasnt even #1 on youre guys' coaching list (IIRC), we'll see about bball, you guys will def. be an improved team...but im not sure youll be able to hang with UK, UF, Bama, LSU..etc. it will take time, but you guys should slowly but surly become a tourney team

So look where he got them! His big win last year was Texas A&M, the very same team UT dismantled in the Cotton Bowl.

As for Pearl Look up his pedigree before you try and say he wasn't even on the map.
Until you do that don't try and talk about something you know little about.

Originally posted by TNVOLS1@May 15, 2005 4:22 PM
So look where he got them! His big win last year was Texas A&M, the very same team UT dismantled in the Cotton Bowl.
As for Pearl Look up his pedigree before you try and say he wasn't even on the map.
Until you do that don't try and talk about something you know little about.
[snapback]94124[/snapback]​

wow, ...Meyer only went to the Fiesta Bowl, and oh yeah, beat Pitt by like 20+ points...and did soemthing that neither UF or UT has done in what seems like forever....WIN A BCS BOWL

Keep going with your name calling it is removing all doubt.

Pitt, yeah fall back on that everyone knows them getting in the BCS was a joke.

Originally posted by TNVOLS1@May 15, 2005 4:32 PM
Keep going with your name calling it is removing all doubt.

Pitt, yeah fall back on that everyone knows them getting in the BCS was a joke.
[snapback]94136[/snapback]​

please explain to me how Utah had to do with who they played?

they took the hand that was given to them and destroyed the team they played in impressive fashion

I'm not saying Utah was bad, but beating Pitt didn't prove anything. The Utes played tougher teams in their regular season schedule, and the BCS ended up copping out to the Big East because of that contract that we all know shouldn't be there.

Utah was probably a very good team last season, but we'll never know exactly how good because they never got to play a truly good team.

Meyer has not yet proven anything.

It goes back to simple fact Meyer has played no one to make everyone think he is the second coming for UF. He took a decent Utah team and beat an average Pitt team and along with Texas A&M was the crowning achievement of his success. That is not what he'll face in the SEC.

Originally posted by The Swamp@May 15, 2005 3:26 PM
and did soemthing that neither UF or UT has done in what seems like forever....

Should we get into what Fulmer has done that Meyer has never even thought of doing?

Win the SEC, National Title, good lord....

how can you guys say youre bball team is gonna be much better, but UF football isnt going to amount to anything??

Urban too freaking bowling green from nothing to a bowl team..utah, from nothing to the first ever non-bcs conf. team to ever win/play in a bcs bowl...along with 2 COTY awards in the past 4 years, he def. has his accomplishments

Originally posted by The Swamp@May 15, 2005 4:48 PM
how can you guys say youre bball team is gonna be much better, but UF football isnt going to amount to anything??
Urban too freaking bowling green from nothing to a bowl team..utah, from nothing to the first ever non-bcs conf. team to ever win/play in a bcs bowl...along with 2 COTY awards in the past 4 years, he def. has his accomplishments
[snapback]94147[/snapback]​

That's the question I asked you when you posted our BB coach didn't impress you but you picked UF to win the east in FB. I think that Pearl and Myer are the same in that they are both winners at smaller schools but are unproven on the SEC level.

Originally posted by vol_freak@May 15, 2005 4:55 PM
That's the question I asked you when you posted our BB coach didn't impress you but you picked UF to win the east in FB. I think that Pearl and Myer are the same in that they are both winners at smaller schools but are unproven on the SEC level.
[snapback]94148[/snapback]​

i expect Uf to win in football, and i said its a toss up between UF and UT, so i said the little bais in me ;) ...but it will take a while to become a solid program, esp. in a tough conf. like the SEC...it will take time

There is not doubt that Meyer was a superior coach in the Moutain West. He was far better than any other coach in the conference, but he is in the SEC now. The coaching field is level now. There is a big difference in playing against defensive coordinators in the MWC and the SEC....

Oh yeah, as far as expectations go, that's easy. I personally don't have any expectations and haven't for quite some time. If pearl wins more than he loses next year...great. If he doesn't, then it's not like we all aren't used to it. :huh:

Urban Meyer took a team that already had the foundation laid at Utah, he has never stayed more than 2 years at a school as an HC therefore you don't know what his recruits were like since he used mostly the other coaches players, Obviously at both stops he inhereted good players and favorable schedules. He did good things at those schools but once again those school don't play in a dog eat dog like the SEC, they don't have the speed or the athletes the SEC has. Winning in Basketball most times is easier than in football due to the number of players and the impact they can make. 1 or 2 players in Basketball can make the difference between a .500 club and a tournament team, while in football 1 or 2 players can help you become abit better they won'y for the most part help you win championships due largely to the number of players on the field.

Pearl on the other hand has been at programs for a long time and built them to be successful whether as an assist under Dr. Tom Davis or on his own.

The difference between Pearl and Meyer is track record as an HC. Short term a coach can look good, but 7 or 8 years later not so good and in some instances 3 years later be shown the door.

Meyer is now in a league full of superior coaches and is not the lone superior coach.

University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
86 wins in four seasons
2005 Horizon League Champions
2005 NCAA Tournament - Advanced to Sweet 16
2004 Horizon League Regular Season Champions
2004 NIT Participant
2003 Horizon League Champions
2003 NCAA Tournament
Three-time Horizon League Coach of the Year
Southern Indiana
231 wins in nine seasons
1995 NCAA Division II National Champion
1994 NCAA Division II National Runners-Up
Six NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 appearances
Four Great Lakes Valley Championships
Ranked #1 nationally six different times
Nine consecutive 20-win seasons
Nine consecutive NCAA appearances
Division I Assistant Coach
NCAA Sweet 16 and Elite Eight as assistant coach at the University of Iowa
NCAA Sweet 16 and Elite Eight as assistant coach at Boston College
Named one of the top assistants in the country by Basketball Weekly in 1988
Coached for 14 seasons alongside Dr. Tom Davis
Coached numerous future NBA players, including B.J. Armstrong, Brad Lohaus, Kevin Gamble, Acie Earl and Matt Bullard
Honors and Awards
Third winningest coach currently in Division I
Fastest coach to 200 wins at one school
Named one of 10 finalists for the 2005 Jim Phelan National Coach of the Year Award
2003, 2004 and 2005 Horizon League Coach of the Year
2000 NABC Great Lakes Coach of the Year
Named one of five "Head Coaches On The Rise" by Sport Magazine in 1999
1995 NABC Coach of the Year
1995 NABC Great Lakes Coach of the Year

VN Store

Back