Basketball Expectations(05-06)

UF is in serious trouble at DB, extremely thin at LB, weak at RB, No FB, 1 good DL and 3 Average DL is not what I call very talented.
UF's best LB is in the Pros now and 1 injury to a LB and UF's defense is in real trouble.
It remains to be seen if Leak can run the offense since he doesn't like to be hit, the WR's talent wise the best UF has had in a while but they have failed to prove themselves in games.

Originally posted by TNVOLS1@May 15, 2005 4:41 PM
UF is in serious trouble at DB, extremely thin at LB, weak at RB, No FB, 1 good DL and 3 Average DL is not what I call very talented.
UF's best LB is in the Pros now and 1 injury to a LB and UF's defense is in real trouble.
It remains to be seen if Leak can run the offense since he doesn't like to be hit, the WR's talent wise the best UF has had in a while but they have failed to prove themselves in games.
[snapback]94163[/snapback]​

very nice..very nice...

by the way, this is a tennessee message board, not a florida message board..so if you would like to talk about Florida, The Swamp, im sure you could find one! :thumbsup:

Originally posted by TNVOLS1@May 15, 2005 5:41 PM
[snapback]94163[/snapback]​

DB- Kyle Jackson, played great at the end of the season, shows signs of Lito Shepard (though hes a S), will be a soph. next year, tons of tallent, Dee Webb- very tallented, great cover corner, will probably start, good tackler, and a ball hawk, Dwayne Grace- some say hes the most tallented player in our secondary, tons of ability, will compete for a starting roll, good eye for the ball, good cover skills,Terrence Holmes- solid player, has gained experience and is ready to compete, started early and will continue to do so, should be a force....all these guys have great tallent, to say were in trouble at the pos. is foolish, we have plenty of depth/speed/ability; next question.....

LB- Brandon Siler- all-sec fresh, IMO played better then crowder last season, an absolute freak at LB, will be all-america in next 2 yrs, Earl Everett-all sec fresh, all sec last year, awesome closing speed, and tackling skills, can play pass coverage as well, will be a jr next year, todd mccullough- posses great heart and determination, makes plays through will and desire, not fastest, but somehow is in on every play, always a solid contributer, but not much more, the rest i can say are unproven but have the tallent, watch out for a couple of fresh. jon demps being one of them...im confident we'll be fine at LB

RB we are fine, wynn has a great combo of speed and strength, manson has mind boggling speed, and thorton is somewhere inbetween...no clear cut starter, but we have plenty of tallent, wynn should start and if you watched the UM game, he has all-america tallent, just needs a better workethic

DL-Markus Thomas is big and strong, not many accolades but has been a solid contributer for 2 yrs, Derrick Harvey-redshirted last year, was dubbed The Freak II.....nuf said, Ray Mccdonald, he has tons of ability, just hasnt gotten to that level yet, has great size and is a block in the middle, and plays well in both run and pass coverages

Meyer has stated that he will not use a FB, if necessary we have latsko, but he has said we will not use one

where you get leak is not in favor of getting hit i dont know, of course he doesnt want to, but he has proven to be a tough competitor, and when he needs too, he runs

you obviously dont know much about UF...i can give you depth at LB, but other then that were are solid on D

Before you go calling out an entire unit, heres a clue, do a little research ;)

RB we are fine, wynn has a great combo of speed and strength, manson has mind boggling speed, and thorton is somewhere inbetween...no clear cut starter, but we have plenty of tallent, wynn should start and if you watched the UM game, he has all-america tallent, just needs a better workethic

Tell me a little more about these guys.

They must be letting anyone into Florida now a days. Give me a break! Do your homework before you make a comment like you did. Before Pearl left USI for UWM he was rated by a very credible magazine to be one of the top 10 coaching prospects in the land. He has proved himself far more than most D I coaches today. Most of the D I coaches today got their starts being head coaches for legendary coaches. For example, take a look at the coaching tree branching off from Coach K at Duke. Then compile the record of all of these former Coach K castaways and you will find they are under .500 combined. Peal has won at every stop and if given the chance, which I feel UT will given him, he will be a winner here too. And he will go about it the legit way. (Oklahoma State being the polar opposite).

Wynn may or may not be qualified this fall.
UF's DB's are thin at best and not as good as UT's last fall.

I've done my research big boy and have talked to people that know UF alot better than you it seems.

Yes I hate talking trash about florida. There is no chance in hell yall are going to beat us with that type of play next year.

Originally posted by vol_freak@May 15, 2005 6:22 PM
Tell me a little more about these guys.
[snapback]94171[/snapback]​

Wynn is the most proven, but hes big, 5-11, 230 lbs, and elusive at the same time, went for 540 yds in 03, with 4.7 yds a carry as a RS soph. but hes #'s took a hit last yr. with Fason's great year went for 217 with 3.7 ypc...has the most experience and a world of tallent, if he gets his head on straight, hes one of the best backs in the SEC

the next two have great speed, and a lot of potential, Manson was one of the best RB's in america in hs, came out of alabama...great speed, like 4.3 i think, and in the open field theres noone touching him, redshirted last year, but has a lot of ability, if wynn fails to impress Meyer, he will be our starter

Thorton again hasnt had much game experience, but he saw some reasonable time last year, sharing the back up roll with wynn, has good strengh and speed, wont start, but can be a solid backup, IMO #3 on our roster, but again, is a very solid back.

i wouldnt say this group is the best in the SEC, but theyre def. in the upper half, lots of potential and tallent, just gotta do something with it

You are kidding me right? In the other thread you posted you think the Gators are going to win the East in football because among other things... coaching. Do you think Urban Meyer would be your coach if not for the run he made last year? 
:bottom:

Very Very nice comparison Freak!

Originally posted by TNVOLS1@May 15, 2005 6:38 PM
Wynn may or may not be qualified this fall.
UF's DB's are thin at best and not as good as UT's last fall.

I've done my research big boy and have talked to people that know UF alot better than you it seems.
[snapback]94178[/snapback]​

were def. not stacked, at each of those pos...we have tallent there, but its unproven...we need some people to step up, and if they dont were in trouble...dont get me wrong, im not saying were the most tallented team ever, we have our soft points...but methinks you guys are in for a suprise come sept. 17.

and to that poster that said theres no chance in hell UF beats UT..... :dlol: , cmon bud, join us in the 21st century

Swamp, I remember Wynn but am not familiar with those other two guys. How many carries have the other two guys gotten since at UF..any stats?

We don't have a lot of experienced depth at RB. Riggs has proven himself but besides that we have some talent but no game experience.

Originally posted by vol_freak@May 15, 2005 6:58 PM
Swamp, I remember Wynn but am not familiar with those other two guys. How many carries have the other two guys gotten since at UF..any stats?

We don't have a lot of experienced depth at RB. Riggs has proven himself but besides that we have some talent but no game experience.
[snapback]94195[/snapback]​

Manson doesnt have any #'s, he redshirted last year

Thorton-Year No. Yds Avg Tds Long
2003 8 80 10.0 1 27
2004 55 230 4.2 1 16
Totals 63 310 4.9 2 27

Thanks, looks like you guys definitely are in a similar boat with experienced backups at that position. B)

Originally posted by The Swamp@May 15, 2005 6:10 PM
where you get leak is not in favor of getting hit i dont know,
[snapback]94169[/snapback]​

Did you happen to see the Peach Bowl? Not only did he not want to get hit, he looked like he was lacking heart.

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@May 15, 2005 7:44 PM
Did you happen to see the Peach Bowl?  Not only did he not want to get hit, he looked like he was lacking heart.
[snapback]94244[/snapback]​

i watched the peach bowl along with every game in leaks career, and when he has needed to run, he has done so...just b/c the guy slides doesnt mean he doesnt wanna get hit, hes a tough kid

Well, if you have it on tape go back and watch it. We will see how tough he is this year. I don't think that he is as tough as Alex Smith was for Utah though.

Far be it from me to defend Chris Leak, but there's nothing wrong with him that a decent running game and a defense wouldn't solve.

I don't know, I am not going to say Leak is not tough, but I agree that he really doesn't seem to like to run and be hit. Time will tell.

The thing is though . . . do you really want your QB to be a guy who does NOT avoid contact?

No, I agree and I was thinking about that after i posted. Not sure why he comes across that way to me. Couln't be my (Tennessee) orange colored galsses could it?

Avoiding contact is one thing, but the last game of the year when you are getting beat by a rival....it should be a little different don't ya think? I am all for QB's sliding and avoiding injury, but there were a few times in the Peach Bowl where stepped out too soon, slid too soon etc. Just didn't look like he was in it to win it.

In a Pro type offense yes you do, but in Meyers offense the QB has to be part RB and that Leak is not.

Originally posted by milohimself@May 15, 2005 3:37 PM
Meyer has not yet proven anything.
[snapback]94143[/snapback]​

this contradicts numerous past statements

Not really... He hasn't disproven anything either.

What I've been saying all along is that we don't know if he will do well, but it would also be wrong to state FACT saying he won't do well.

I'm just saying he hasn't prove anything yet as fact, my opinion is that he will be marginally successful in his first season.

VN Store

Back