Basillo: Lane Kiffin wants to come home

Would Kiffin accept the job if offered?

• Yes

Votes: 124 76.5%
  • No

Votes: 38 23.5%

• Total voters
I can see him doing the same thing to Ole Miss as he did to us.

If he is advocating himself for the job at UT, he hasn't changed. He's done it before (to us), apparently would be willing to do it again (to Ole Miss). Why wouldn't he do it a 3rd time (us again), if we hired him away from Mississippi?

That's not even mentioning the shady crap he and his staff pulled on us as they were heading out the door.

It's like an ex who who left for one of your buddies, then did it again to another guy later on. Would you give her another chance when she realizes you were better than them in the first place? Have a little dignity. . .

Get over the butthurt people. He took his dream job. Can't blame him. I was ticked then too. But he has served his penance and been humbled. He knows TN has everything to win at the highest level. Ole Miss doesn't...

Where would he leave for? If he comes here again and someone wants him then that means he was successful. That is a good thing for TN. Put a large buy-out in his contract to protect TN and then let him go be the best offensive mind in football that he is...

This is about winning, not hurt feelings. Leave the ego outside.

Kiffin would be a good hire.

I hated him when he ditched us. But, I do believe he regrets what happened and man....football was exciting when he was here. So much energy and enthusiasm.

He regrets it so much that he'd be willing to do practically the same thing to OM?
:shrug

Reactions: LadyinOrange
Get over the butthurt people. He took his dream job. Can't blame him. I was ticked then too. But he has served his penance and been humbled. He knows TN has everything to win at the highest level. Ole Miss doesn't...

Where would he leave for? If he comes here again and someone wants him then that means he was successful. That is a good thing for TN. Put a large buy-out in his contract to protect TN and then let him go be the best offensive mind in football that he is...

Just imagine if the brass at USC are saying the same things you just mentioned to each other around Thanksgiving after they fire Helton. If they call Kiffin, and he is our coach, does he go? And how much would you be willing to put on it?

I'd love to have Kiffin here, but if he left Ole Miss like that then he never really learned his lesson from his time at UT.

I'd want a near deal killer buyout. But I'd take him. At this point the names out there who could help is very slim.

Basillo went on the on air (1/18) and stated:

"Lane Kiffin has reached out to our booster base and made it clear he wants the job."

"I was told this today at 2:49 p.m. by a booster. He said Lane called as soon as soon as it was official."

TIFWIW...

Maybe AD White can get it done ??
This whole discussion about Kiffin coming to Tn is Jerry Springer level insanity. Please work with Dr.Phil until you're self-loathing is cured.

Reactions: Bennessee01
I'd feel cheap but I'd take Lane back with such an iron-clad contract he'd have to sell.his house to walk away. He was a punk but I think he's been humiliated and has matured.

Basillo went on the on air (1/18) and stated:

"Lane Kiffin has reached out to our booster base and made it clear he wants the job."

"I was told this today at 2:49 p.m. by a booster. He said Lane called as soon as soon as it was official."

TIFWIW...

Maybe AD White can get it done ??

Didn’t Lane jockey for the job the last time it was open too? I like Lane but if he would leave Ole Miss in the lurch after one year. Then I agree with other posters that we have no reason believe he wouldn’t do the same to us again if USC came calling again

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I learned today through someone resurrecting an old thread that Tony B reported Lovie Smith was on his way. Do we really know for realsies that Kiffin wants to come back here?

I learned today through someone resurrecting an old thread that Tony B reported Lovie Smith was on his way. Do we really know for realsies that Kiffin wants to come back here?
Not trying to defend Basilio but he’s just a talk show host who reports what he knows and has heard. He has a lot more sources than us and while everything he hears may not be correct, he’s not afraid to share it and he was spot on with the whole Pruitt thing for well over a month when no one else was talking about

Ask yourself this. Who would want to leave an SEC head coach position to step into this mess?

Reactions: Tnslim1
Playing both sides of the coin; A coaching position that opens "where you really want to be" has a very limited time window and the opportunity may not come back around. So you basically have no choice but to hurt someone's feelings/dreams/plans . On the other side , do we really want to regurgitate our past again? It seems like a clean slate with new blood is in order here. Either way it's not going to be fan pick-a-coach day , so whatever happens will happen . If by some chance we did give it a serious consideration, I wouldn't assume that him leaving Mississippi is an indication that he would bolt on us again. Obviously the contract would have insurance against that costing us .

UT has more class than allowing someone to do what he did, then bring him back at any point in the future. There is no "coming back" for the embarrassment, under-handed choices, and poor media attention he handed the entire University and fanbase. Penance or not, he has burned his UT bridge for good.

Last edited:
That's my thoughts, just like Gundy did to us two times.

If Kiffin is for real, I'd put in a 15mil buyout to UT if another job comes his way.

If Peyton is on the search committee??? he'll be a no, because the rest of Peyton's family went to Ole Miss.
$15 million? Make it $7 million for every $1million he gets paid per season. I say $5 million a year with a $35 million buyout .

And for those that keep saying he wants a raise, he’s already gotten one at the beginning of the month.

How is this classified as “home” in any way for a guy who literally poured premium unleaded on to the fire starting at UT?

This isn’t grudge mind you, but Kiffy would be a terrible choice.

VN Store

Back