Aviation Discussion

Haha yes sorry.

Flight levels in the US start at 18,000ft. When you’re in the flight levels pilots use 29.92 as their altimeter. When altimeter settings are lower than 29.92 then FL180 (18,000ft) becomes unusable for vertical separation with aircraft that are at FL190 (read they’d be closer than 1,000ft due to the mismatch in altimeters).

Additional Tri Cities mentioned class E airspace at 60,000 ft. Technically when you get above that you can be VFR as you’re no longer in class A airspace and are in class E.

That I understand thanks.

My guess is there aren’t many passenger plans that can fly at/above 60,000 feet are there?

Correct, I’ve seen some U2’s up above FL600 before but it’s been a couple of years since I’ve seen one. There’s also been some drones up pretty high. Other than military stuff I’ve worked some Gulfstreams at FL510.
Why is the phrase "flight level" even a thing? Why not just say "climb to 35,000?"

Any HUD yet?

We keep getting weathered out. I flew goggles/HUD once in the sim.

First impression: not a huge fan. Maybe I wasn’t focused correctly, but having the hud in one eye gave me a noticeably different picture in each eye, which was distracting. And old habits kept kicking in and instead of looking at HUD I’d peek underneath at my instruments for data.

Correct, I’ve seen some U2’s up above FL600 before but it’s been a couple of years since I’ve seen one. There’s also been some drones up pretty high. Other than military stuff I’ve worked some Gulfstreams at FL510.

My current record is 8,000 ft 🤘🏼

Reactions: ATC_VOL
That I understand thanks.

My guess is there aren’t many passenger plans that can fly at/above 60,000 feet are there?

Highest I’ve ever seen a commercial aircraft is at 41,000 ft. Most are in the mid 30,000’s unless rides are bad and it’s smooth lower.

Why is the phrase "flight level" even a thing? Why not just say "climb to 35,000?"

Honestly don’t know but it’s a lot easier to say “Climb and maintain flight lever two three zero” hundreds of times a day than “climb and maintain twenty three thousand feet”.

It allows for easier enunciation of the single digit numbers as well. Even things outside the flight levels are pronounced with single digits, for example 12,000ft is “one two thousand”.

Reactions: 05_never_again
I hit 7,000 in the Bell 206. Took forever to make the climb.

8,000 holding above a fix freezing my ass off in a 60 wasn’t any more fun.

And yes NVGs take a bit to get used to. Especially if you are using them to land on the ass of a frigate :)

Army Guard? My last platform was the SH-60B. When we got them to our squadron (new squadron) in 2001, one of them came in a few boxes and the rest of it was trucked in lol.

I saw one down at the museum in Pensacola. Weird landing gear.

And yes NVGs take a bit to get used to. Especially if you are using them to land on the ass of a frigate :)

I’m lucky enough to get it on the ground. Can’t imagine if the ground was moving too.

Reactions: BearCat204
We keep getting weathered out. I flew goggles/HUD once in the sim.

First impression: not a huge fan. Maybe I wasn’t focused correctly, but having the hud in one eye gave me a noticeably different picture in each eye, which was distracting. And old habits kept kicking in and instead of looking at HUD I’d peek underneath at my instruments for data.

I know the pilots I flew with were very reluctant to use when the system was first fielded. I was a CE, so never experienced the system first hand.

To update an earlier post:

First NVG/HUD flight in the aircraft tonight. It wasn’t as distracting, but I still find myself going to instruments instead of using the information in my eye. When I would crosscheck it, the altitude was at least fifty feet off, trim ball kicked out, and airspeed ten knots off so I’m not sure what the point of using it would’ve been.

Hovering is HARD in goggles. Huge increase in my scanning. Approaches started pretty trash, but the last one was decent. No EPs tonight, thank goodness. I couldn’t believe how much detail I got with the goggles, even on a low illum overcast night. Not sure how you OGs did it unaided.

Reactions: BearCat204
Haha yes sorry.

Flight levels in the US start at 18,000ft. When you’re in the flight levels pilots use 29.92 as their altimeter. When altimeter settings are lower than 29.92 then FL180 (18,000ft) becomes unusable for vertical separation with aircraft that are at FL190 (read they’d be closer than 1,000ft due to the mismatch in altimeters).

Additional Tri Cities mentioned class E airspace at 60,000 ft. Technically when you get above that you can be VFR as you’re no longer in class A airspace and are in class E.
Clouds at and above 60,000' should be avoided, so VFR is good.

Reactions: ATC_VOL
To update an earlier post:

First NVG/HUD flight in the aircraft tonight. It wasn’t as distracting, but I still find myself going to instruments instead of using the information in my eye. When I would crosscheck it, the altitude was at least fifty feet off, trim ball kicked out, and airspeed ten knots off so I’m not sure what the point of using it would’ve been.

Hovering is HARD in goggles. Huge increase in my scanning. Approaches started pretty trash, but the last one was decent. No EPs tonight, thank goodness. I couldn’t believe how much detail I got with the goggles, even on a low illum overcast night. Not sure how you OGs did it unaided.
Seems like frivolous equipment.

VN Store

Back