Aviation Discussion

Orange Sunset

Funniest ground/tower radio exchange I ever heard & a real aircraft/vehicle race all within 10 minutes of each other

President George H W Bush was in Memphis in November 1989. I was at work & went to the Federal Express courtyard tower to watch him & his crew boarding the aircraft which was parked at the Air National Guard. The Guard & FedEx where next door to each other back then. The tower window I was looking out faced west. From my view at the 12:00 o’clock position was runway 18/36 & the Air Guard / Air Force One were at around the 1:00 o’clock position. The main airport tower was at around 10:00 o’clock.
Wasn’t any radio traffic going on because all incoming & departure flights were on hold until the President got off the ground.
Then this came over the radio for the main tower:

Ground: “Memphis tower Memphis ground
Tower: “Memphis tower go ahead
Ground: “tower – secret service requesting permission to follow the aircraft until it leaves the ground

Short pause………

Tower: “Memphis ground Memphis tower”
Ground: “Memphis ground go ahead”
Tower: “ground - permission denied to follow aircraft until it leaves the ground”

Everyone in the courtyard tower busted out laughing at whoever that was that just denied the secret service & we knew that wasn’t the end of it.

Another Short pause………

Ground: “Memphis tower Memphis ground"
Tower: “Memphis tower go ahead"
Ground: “tower – secret service says he will follow the aircraft until it leaves the ground”

That ended that conversation & we all busted out laughing again.

Aircraft taxied onto runway 18L & stops with the secret service in a Chevy Suburban behind the left wing near the tip. They are straight out the widow I’m looking out about 300-400 yards. Aircraft is cleared for takeoff & the captain slams the coal to it. Once the Boeing 707 got out of the hole good, it was amazing how fast it left that black Suburban behind.

I’m sure it’s probably standard operating procedure for the tower to not let a vehicle follow an aircraft down a runway on takeoff. But to deny the secret service from doing their job after they asked permission……Classic!!

Got to see & hear a speech from President Bush again in 1992. He was in the new Boeing 747 then.

CagleMtnVol

A week or so ago a video on this small jet popped up in my Youtube feed and I have since watched several on this little beauty. If I had several million to blow and knew how to fly I'd probably look at getting one of these. They look like a lot of fun.

Last edited:

CagleMtnVol

Have you seen the new massive GE9X engine being tested for the upcoming Boeing 777X series (777-8 & 777-9)

These aren't photo shopped.

GE9X1.jpg

DYTc5dGV4AAB7-Q.jpg

DYWWyBVX0AM_5KK.jpg

dims.jpg

8786654-6614877-There_will_be_two_versions_of_the_777X_the_777_8_and_777_9_costi-a-1_154808272...jpg

The Triple 7 will have a wingspan of 235 ft. That's 10 ft more than a 747-8. 11.5 ft of which on each side will be able to fold up that will reduce the span to (212ft) so the plane can fit into gates at airports.

The 777-8 provides seating for 365 passengers and has a range of 8,690 nmi (16,090 km) while the 777-9 has seating for 414 passengers and a range of over 7,525 nmi (13,936 km).

CagleMtnVol

I wonder if they might use those on the two new AF1 that's in the works to be delivered in 2 or 3 years? They will be the latest 747 platform the (747-8 Intercontinental).

3rdDegreeVol

Lab Rat
GE is testing it on a 747 platform.
That's a -400 though. My understanding is the -8 has a significantly redesigned wing. I'm sure Boeing would love the gov't to pay for a new engine but the -8 uses the GEnx which isn't that old. I did a quick search on the contract for the new 747s and didn't see anything about engines.

ATC_VOL

Seen a couple of Delta C series or A220’s (not sure what most call them) lately. One of their pilots said the shutdown was pushing back when they could take delivery and/or get them certified though.

ATC_VOL

I guess Centers would still talk to the rare airplane who is in Echo above FL600?
Correct, I’ve seen some U2’s up above FL600 before but it’s been a couple of years since I’ve seen one. There’s also been some drones up pretty high. Other than military stuff I’ve worked some Gulfstreams at FL510.

hog88

In dog beers I've only had 1
Correct, I’ve seen some U2’s up above FL600 before but it’s been a couple of years since I’ve seen one. There’s also been some drones up pretty high. Other than military stuff I’ve worked some Gulfstreams at FL510.
An English translation would be nice. I’m guessing FL600 is an altitude?

ATC_VOL

An English translation would be nice. I’m guessing FL600 is an altitude?
Haha yes sorry.

Flight levels in the US start at 18,000ft. When you’re in the flight levels pilots use 29.92 as their altimeter. When altimeter settings are lower than 29.92 then FL180 (18,000ft) becomes unusable for vertical separation with aircraft that are at FL190 (read they’d be closer than 1,000ft due to the mismatch in altimeters).

Additional Tri Cities mentioned class E airspace at 60,000 ft. Technically when you get above that you can be VFR as you’re no longer in class A airspace and are in class E.

VN Store

Sponsors