Aviation Discussion

A week or so ago a video on this small jet popped up in my Youtube feed and I have since watched several on this little beauty. If I had several million to blow and knew how to fly I'd probably look at getting one of these. They look like a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: ATC_VOL
Have you seen the new massive GE9X engine being tested for the upcoming Boeing 777X series (777-8 & 777-9)

These aren't photo shopped.

GE9X1.jpg

DYTc5dGV4AAB7-Q.jpg

DYWWyBVX0AM_5KK.jpg

dims.jpg

8786654-6614877-There_will_be_two_versions_of_the_777X_the_777_8_and_777_9_costi-a-1_154808272...jpg

The Triple 7 will have a wingspan of 235 ft. That's 10 ft more than a 747-8. 11.5 ft of which on each side will be able to fold up that will reduce the span to (212ft) so the plane can fit into gates at airports.

The 777-8 provides seating for 365 passengers and has a range of 8,690 nmi (16,090 km) while the 777-9 has seating for 414 passengers and a range of over 7,525 nmi (13,936 km).

I wonder if they might use those on the two new AF1 that's in the works to be delivered in 2 or 3 years? They will be the latest 747 platform the (747-8 Intercontinental).

GE is testing it on a 747 platform.
That's a -400 though. My understanding is the -8 has a significantly redesigned wing. I'm sure Boeing would love the gov't to pay for a new engine but the -8 uses the GEnx which isn't that old. I did a quick search on the contract for the new 747s and didn't see anything about engines.

Seen a couple of Delta C series or A220’s (not sure what most call them) lately. One of their pilots said the shutdown was pushing back when they could take delivery and/or get them certified though.

Seen a couple of Delta C series or A220’s (not sure what most call them) lately. One of their pilots said the shutdown was pushing back when they could take delivery and/or get them certified though.

I can’t believe Bombardier sold that off. It’s a great design.

Reactions: ATC_VOL

Dy0nEvqVsAEJgF6.jpg:orig

Reactions: rs16 and ATC_VOL
I guess Centers would still talk to the rare airplane who is in Echo above FL600?
Correct, I’ve seen some U2’s up above FL600 before but it’s been a couple of years since I’ve seen one. There’s also been some drones up pretty high. Other than military stuff I’ve worked some Gulfstreams at FL510.

Correct, I’ve seen some U2’s up above FL600 before but it’s been a couple of years since I’ve seen one. There’s also been some drones up pretty high. Other than military stuff I’ve worked some Gulfstreams at FL510.

An English translation would be nice. I’m guessing FL600 is an altitude?

An English translation would be nice. I’m guessing FL600 is an altitude?

Haha yes sorry.

Flight levels in the US start at 18,000ft. When you’re in the flight levels pilots use 29.92 as their altimeter. When altimeter settings are lower than 29.92 then FL180 (18,000ft) becomes unusable for vertical separation with aircraft that are at FL190 (read they’d be closer than 1,000ft due to the mismatch in altimeters).

Additional Tri Cities mentioned class E airspace at 60,000 ft. Technically when you get above that you can be VFR as you’re no longer in class A airspace and are in class E.

VN Store

Back