Aviation Discussion

There's always backup instruments.

In the 206 instrument sim on a Basic Instruments checkride, the evaluator failed everything and left only the turn and slip indicator. First time I’d ever had someone do that to me. We’re lucky to have not ended up inverted.

Reactions: rs16
In the 206 instrument sim on a Basic Instruments checkride, the evaluator failed everything and left only the turn and slip indicator. First time I’d ever had someone do that to me. We’re lucky to have not ended up inverted.
Turn and slip was pretty hi-tech in 1970. Hang a pen on a string from the greenhouse. :D:D

Seek help.
Somebody's got an axe to grind against pilots who fly planes for a living.

Flying planes is a fairly common hobby. Hence the distinction between hobbyists and professionals. I don't think any mail carriers, bus drivers, etc. are doing that as a hobby.

Reactions: rs16
Somebody's got an axe to grind against pilots who fly planes for a living.

Flying planes is a fairly common hobby. Hence the distinction between hobbyists and professionals. I don't think any mail carriers, bus drivers, etc. are doing that as a hobby.

I guess. Just tying to point a guy in the right direction for flight training and someone wanted to split hairs over that term. Crazy.

About done with the first week at the academy. Got the official word that they aren’t going to try to keep me close to the unit with my placement, which sucks. I’m at the point where I’ll just be happy with whatever facility as long as I pass. It’s down to 51% for en-route so I’m a little worried haha.

Are centers able to see where they are on the priority staffing list or is that just something generated at MMAC?

@ATC_VOL

About done with the first week at the academy. Got the official word that they aren’t going to try to keep me close to the unit with my placement, which sucks. I’m at the point where I’ll just be happy with whatever facility as long as I pass. It’s down to 51% for en-route so I’m a little worried haha.

Are centers able to see where they are on the priority staffing list or is that just something generated at MMAC?

@ATC_VOL

There’s some type of document out there that shows priority, I’d have to look around for it. I have heard from new people at our facility that they should show you a potential list at a couple of points during your course but that it’s subject to change and will change quite a bit.

I won’t lie, the Academy was by far the hardest academic thing I’ve ever done. Amount of time I studied made my Masters Thesis seem like a joke. That said, they literally do teach you everything you need to know, just have to be able to grasp it as quickly as you can. Once you get in the lab doing radar problems there isn’t too much to study other than practicing phraseology. If you’re like me, they’ll be days you think you won’t ever grasp stuff but just keep grinding. Non-radar was more difficult for me than the radar portion. The vast majority of your grade comes from those last 2 days so don’t sweat to much if non-radar doesn’t make sense at first.

Keep me updated and I’m happy to help if you need any advice on anything.

@Tri-CitiesVol

That’s the last updated list, I think it’s a couple of weeks old. If you zoom in you can kind of get an idea.

Attachments

• BB242621-02F2-486B-B0D5-848D88E9BDD6.png
    BB242621-02F2-486B-B0D5-848D88E9BDD6.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 71ACAFA6-53BE-41EC-AE89-E3BE9E6B49B5.png
    71ACAFA6-53BE-41EC-AE89-E3BE9E6B49B5.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • D21A1C37-2BFE-4A7D-8C7A-9F600D41E985.png
    D21A1C37-2BFE-4A7D-8C7A-9F600D41E985.png
    933.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 87C69356-F78D-42BA-A195-3C40939252B8.png
    87C69356-F78D-42BA-A195-3C40939252B8.png
    920.8 KB · Views: 9
There’s some type of document out there that shows priority, I’d have to look around for it. I have heard from new people at our facility that they should show you a potential list at a couple of points during your course but that it’s subject to change and will change quite a bit.

I won’t lie, the Academy was by far the hardest academic thing I’ve ever done. Amount of time I studied made my Masters Thesis seem like a joke. That said, they literally do teach you everything you need to know, just have to be able to grasp it as quickly as you can. Once you get in the lab doing radar problems there isn’t too much to study other than practicing phraseology. If you’re like me, they’ll be days you think you won’t ever grasp stuff but just keep grinding. Non-radar was more difficult for me than the radar portion. The vast majority of your grade comes from those last 2 days so don’t sweat to much if non-radar doesn’t make sense at first.

Keep me updated and I’m happy to help if you need any advice on anything.

We get the list a week before graduation.

Any advice you have for me would be greatly appreciated. Any insight into the practicals would also be a big help. I can give you my email if you’d like.

How’s Memphis’ staffing level? Is there a backlog in your training pipeline?

Yeah I wouldn’t want to live on Long Island. Our training is backlogged some but is getting better. They’ve recently redesigned both D and R schools and cut the class time in about half. They’re still telling new people to expect a year wait from the time they arrive until they start D school.

Feel free to email me

@Tri-CitiesVol

Last edited:
Yeah I wouldn’t want to live on Long Island. Our training is backlogged some but is getting better. They’ve recently redesigned both D and R schools and cut the class time in about half. They’re still telling new people to expect a year wait from the time they arrive until they start D school.

Feel free to email me at

@Tri-CitiesVol
Got it if you want to take your email down.

Reactions: ATC_VOL
I’m fascinated by airplanes. I’m considering getting into working on them. Anyone here a airplane mechanic and can talk to me about it?

Feel free to email me

@Tri-CitiesVol
How long have you been at the Memphis airport?

Got a buddy whose dad retired from there as a ATC.
Very high stress job. Hats off to you brother.

VN Store

Back