ART/CREATIVE THREAD ( all skill levels welcome )

Edit:
Accidental post. I’ve tarried a bit in the malt tonight and accidentally hit Post prematurely. Was going to reply to Carl with something about how you don’t need FV54-level talent to mine the rewards of the creative process. But I was waxing grandiloquent, as I do, and deleted, as I should. And probably should have at least once more.

Sometimes I read a book and I think, if I could get my **** together and harness my ideas and words, I could create this sort of thing. Other times I read someone like Cormac McCarthy and think, if I wrote for a thousand years straight, I could not rise to this level. But you know what? Both are inspiring. There’s a place somewhere between the aspirational and the unattainable where you find your ideal expression. And maybe that’s the only place it exists.

So... I’ll crawl back into my glass now and laugh at this tomorrow. The rest of you, keep bringing the inspiration.

Last edited:
Something a little different. JFK -Frankfurt, Germany, June 1963. My German Grandmother (on my mother's side) took this photograph of JFK in a motorcade on the Army base in Frankfurt. It always struck me as somewhat surreal in that he was assassinated just 5 months later.
Scan.jpg

Last edited:
Something a little different. JFK -Frankfurt, Germany, June 1963. My German Grandmother (on my mother's side) took this photograph of JFK in a motorcade on the Army base in Frankfurt. It always struck me as somewhat surreal in that he was assassinated just 5 months later.
View attachment 245486

That's really cool, would've been even without the haunting context.

Reminds me, I ran across some video I took at Battery Park in NYC in the summer of 2001. At one point I panned around toward the buildings and said, "Hey look, there's the World Trade Center." Completely non-remarkable in any other context but while watching it, it was just odd to consider that none of us there had any clue the whole world was going to change on that spot a couple months later.

Sorry, not ready to be relegated to page 2 just yet. "Untitled" oil on canvas 23" x 36"
View attachment 249369
I’d call it “My Balls” on canvas.... just to get the shock/comic value when I’m showing it to someone ..... maybe “The Artist’s Balls”.... “Deez Balls”..... “Look At My Balls”..... the possibilities are endless.

Reactions: FrankenVol54
I’d call it “My Balls” on canvas.... just to get the shock/comic value when I’m showing it to someone ..... maybe “The Artist’s Balls”.... “Deez Balls”..... “Look At My Balls”..... the possibilities are endless.
"Deez Balls" it is! Great thing about abstract art is that whether the observer likes the work or not, it elicits a reaction based on their own thoughts, ideas, and experiences... which in turn makes the observer a part of the process.

If I were an artist doing abstract work, I think I wouldn’t be able to resist thumbing my nose at the pretentious side of the art world by giving the paintings ridiculously randomass titles. Like, say, that one I’d name something like Gratifying Death With Cheese or some such nonsense. Then just sit back and enjoy the silly forced explications.

Hmmm. Thing is though, it would backfire on me because, particularly with abstract, the simple addition of a title, even as jest, becomes a fundamental element of the presented work and leads the interpretation. Dammit. Subjectivity simultaneously feeds itself and eats itself.

Don’t get me wrong, I love abstract, at least when it’s done well, although I never can really seem to articulate why I think something is good or not. I guess work that’s derivative or forced kind of announces itself somehow.

I remember the first time I saw a Pollock in person, long ago in DC. I’d seen plenty of pics and prints and liked them, but when I saw the real thing my jaw dropped and I stood there staring for literally like 10 minutes and not understanding why. There’s an emotional element to great art that insinuates itself somehow.

Dammit, I need to up the dosage on my ADHD meds. I keep doing these long rambling posts lately, seems like.

Sorry, not ready to be relegated to page 2 just yet. "Untitled" oil on canvas 23" x 36"
View attachment 249369

Worlds within Worlds.

There are big and small ones.
Perhaps some to small to see and others to large to fit in the frame?

I see this as a reflection of your own ideas and concepts manifiesting as globes and even overlapping. Some are small and don't require much thought. While you have other ideas that can perhaps anchor your very essence to the seen and unseen universe long after your physical body has gone.

Reactions: FrankenVol54
Going to start my second novel in January. Do you all typically relate more to first person or third person narratives? My first one was first person and switched by character, think I may go third person this time.

If I were an artist doing abstract work, I think I wouldn’t be able to resist thumbing my nose at the pretentious side of the art world by giving the paintings ridiculously randomass titles. Like, say, that one I’d name something like Gratifying Death With Cheese or some such nonsense. Then just sit back and enjoy the silly forced explications.

Hmmm. Thing is though, it would backfire on me because, particularly with abstract, the simple addition of a title, even as jest, becomes a fundamental element of the presented work and leads the interpretation. Dammit. Subjectivity simultaneously feeds itself and eats itself.

Don’t get me wrong, I love abstract, at least when it’s done well, although I never can really seem to articulate why I think something is good or not. I guess work that’s derivative or forced kind of announces itself somehow.

I remember the first time I saw a Pollock in person, long ago in DC. I’d seen plenty of pics and prints and liked them, but when I saw the real thing my jaw dropped and I stood there staring for literally like 10 minutes and not understanding why. There’s an emotional element to great art that insinuates itself somehow.

Dammit, I need to up the dosage on my ADHD meds. I keep doing these long rambling posts lately, seems like.

Well put Pismonque. As far as random titles go, when I choose a title for one of my nonrepresentational paintings, it is after I have completed the work. This is because I might start with a dab of color, or a brushstroke and then it becomes a "journey" for lack of a better word.

When I can determine the painting "finished" (some never are), then I might determine a title based on popular culture (see post #40 in this thread) to inject some humor, or to purposefully lead the observer to explore the painting further as you said, even though there are no "Ancient Aliens" and certainly no evidence of "Wife Swapping" in the piece. Or there might be an element I see that triggers an experience or observation, and this leads to a title.

I believe the current "pretentious" side of the art world can be directly attributed to the sad state of the art market, where absolute crap is being sold at ridiculous prices, and the great masterpieces end up in private collections that may never again be shared with the rest of us. As you have noted, there is a huge difference in seeing a picture of a work of art and seeing it "live".

Reactions: pismonque
Going to start my second novel in January. Do you all typically relate more to first person or third person narratives? My first one was first person and switched by character, think I may go third person this time.
I personally don't have a preference regarding narrative. I'm currently re-reading Crime and Punishment which seems to flow from 1st person to 3rd person narrative. I just appreciate a great story. 1984 (3rd person) and A Clockwork Orange (1st person) are also among my favorites.

Reactions: bignewt
I personally don't have a preference regarding narrative. I'm currently re-reading Crime and Punishment which seems to flow from 1st person to 3rd person narrative. I just appreciate a great story. 1984 (3rd person) and A Clockwork Orange (1st person) are also among my favorites.
I feel the same way and love clockwork. Think I'll do third this time to start at least just so see how if feels.

I like geometric abstract work. But the rest is just boring. It almost never illicits a response. I can literally just walk past it like it's nothing. But a great landscape I can stare at for hours.

Although when it comes to sculpture I much prefer abstract than representational. Not sure why the switch. I guess the 3D form has more possibilities?

VN Store

Back