Are we just a QB away from being good?

That first set of downs when we got to the six yard line was mind boggling. I was looking to see if Butch was back. I thought we could've tried to run it on first and second down and if unsuccessful throw from there.
CJP needs to sit Chaney down for a long talk and say something along the lines of "If you ever trot Jarret out there in the Red Zone again and throw nothing but fade passes to our TE in the left endzone, I will __________________________and then I'll _________________________ and you and I both better forget coaching and take up sniffing glue in our lawn mower sheds.

Reactions: AM64
I appreciate the fact that Chaney is our OC, but you have to scratch your head on why he calls the plays that he does when inside the red zone.

Just doesn't make sense. Would be different if NFL.

Maybe Chaney believes in playing the odds ... that JG couldn't possibly throw four bad passes in a row. My take is that when JG is on a bad streak, luck and probability have flat lined except for somebody twenty feet beyond the end zone or occasionally an out of place defender.

Reactions: LibertyVolance
I Don't know who "You guys" are, but we've enjoyed a history of difference making quarterbacks playing here. The first one I recall watching was Dewey Warren and through the decades we've had a great many quality QB's come through UT. Your expectations for quarterback play may be lowered, but mine aren't.
I know the history well, I know our QB history and I know the awful coaching we've had at QB play has been as bad as it's ever been with gym coach Jones. I also know how difficult it is to recruit those top guys and for the last 4-5 years how hard it's been for us to recruit those type QBs. Pruitt has done a great job changing that back to what we've all seen before and has made our QB position better. JG adds incredible value to the QB room, he's been through the wars, he's improved every year he's played and he can provide valuable leadership to the new young gun in Bailey, who we are all excited about, me included. I've said numerous times that because of our numbers, because of the individual talents of each QB as well as all the game experience they have we are in a positive situation at QB for years to come, which will very likely include JG starting out at the very least next year. We've got several that believe it's the end of the world with JG at the helm and I simply don't think it's anywhere near that bad. Florida won 10 games with both Franks and Trask and neither one of them are any better statistically than JG. We can win 9+ next year with JG/HB and could potentially win really big the next 2 years with HB at the helm. It seems like the most logical path to me and similar to the path we had with Peyton. I've got zero worries with the QB position next year.

Reactions: South Florida Vol
No. The only way a defense can give up 38 is if they don't play well enough and give up 38.

"It's the offense's fault that the defense gave up 38."

You need some mustard and salt for that mental pretzel.
U obviously dnt know how football works Mr. Pretzel. Our offense was at full strength and managed to score 23 points through 3 3/4 quaters of the game against a team that allowed 37ppg on the season. The offense also gave ga st the ball inside our 20 on the 1st possession of the game but its not their fualt??17 of ga st points came directly from the offense turning the ball over in our own territory but its not their fualt??If we exclude the final meaningless TD we got at the end of the game our final 8 possessions were downs, int, fumble, fg, fg, downs, fg, punt. We didnt even have 200 yards of offense over those 8 drives and the only reason JG got to 300 yards passing is becuase he threw for 70 yards in garbage time. Idk if u ever played football but time of possession does matter and from the start of the 2nd quater through the end of the game we avg 2:19 per possession which means the offense couldnt stay on the field. So if your offense spots the opponent 17 points and refuses to do anything with the ball for 3 quaters its the defense fault???Yeah right im the delusional 1

According to many on this board, we should have four or five to choose from. Guarantano has stated the doesn't care who the starting QB is-now that's a team player! With this much talent, and let's not forget Coaching talent, we should be unstoppable next season....

Who said that? He's a tough kid, and he's all VOL. He doesn't deserve ANY of the crap he is getting on here.
Good kid, bad football player. How he plays deserves every single bit of the “crap” he is getting on here. Tennessee needs to thank him and tell him to move on because his poor play consistently holds the team back from being as good as it can be. Nothing against Jarrett the person, he’s a good kid.....a lot against Guarantano the football player

We need some d-linemen that can put pressure on a QB without blitzes or stunts.

Exactly. Even against the worst competition the D linemen don't seem to get anywhere near the OB. At some point you have to start looking closer to home (as in our defensive line) for the problem.

U obviously dnt know how football works Mr. Pretzel. Our offense was at full strength and managed to score 23 points through 3 3/4 quaters of the game against a team that allowed 37ppg on the season. The offense also gave ga st the ball inside our 20 on the 1st possession of the game but its not their fualt??17 of ga st points came directly from the offense turning the ball over in our own territory but its not their fualt??If we exclude the final meaningless TD we got at the end of the game our final 8 possessions were downs, int, fumble, fg, fg, downs, fg, punt. We didnt even have 200 yards of offense over those 8 drives and the only reason JG got to 300 yards passing is becuase he threw for 70 yards in garbage time. Idk if u ever played football but time of possession does matter and from the start of the 2nd quater through the end of the game we avg 2:19 per possession which means the offense couldnt stay on the field. So if your offense spots the opponent 17 points and refuses to do anything with the ball for 3 quaters its the defense fault???Yeah right im the delusional 1

It's definitely the offense's fault that they put the defense in less-than-ideal starting positions. That definitely contributed to 17 points being put on the board.

Now what about the other 21 points?

No. The only way a defense can give up 38 is if they don't play well enough and give up 38.

"It's the offense's fault that the defense gave up 38."

You need some mustard and salt for that mental pretzel.

If the offense consistently goes three and out, then you better have two first team defenses because the defense is going to spend most of the day playing while the offense sits on the bench resting. To make matters worse the defense is something like one car chasing another ... the second car always has to run faster to stay close; the offensive player knows the plan ... the defender has to guess, adjust, and move quicker to be in position ... more tiring and stressful.

Reactions: 901 Orange
It's definitely the offense's fault that they put the defense in less-than-ideal starting positions. That definitely contributed to 17 points being put on the board.

Your reply should have read as follows.

Thanks for those details I did not account for. I would ask about the other 21 points they scored but I understand how that occurs when the defense is getting gassed after the offense cant sustain a drive. It makes sense that both sides have a direct impact on the other. It truly is a team sport after all.

Or you can go with what you said and look like you don't understand the game.

Reactions: 901 Orange and AM64
Your reply should have read as follows.

Thanks for those details I did not account for. I would ask about the other 21 points they scored but I understand how that occurs when the defense is getting gassed after the offense cant sustain a drive. It makes sense that both sides have a direct impact on the other. It truly is a team sport after all.

Or you can go with what you said and look like you don't understand the game.

You are right, and the point I set out to make is that I refuse to point solely at Guarantano for the loss (hinted at in my original post). That, yes, he is inconsistent and flat out bad at times, but both sides of the ball need to be ultimately criticized for the loss.

I think it's disingenuous to say that 17 points were caused because of the offense leaving the defense with their backs against the wall, and the other 21 ARE ALSO because the defense was gassed because the offense couldn't sustain drives? All 38 points are on the offense? No defensive accountability? It's all on Guarantano? I'm not willing to do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
You are right, and the point I set out to make is that I refuse to point solely at Guarantano for the loss (hinted at in my original post). That, yes, he is inconsistent and flat out bad at times, but both sides of the ball need to be ultimately criticized for the loss.

I think it's disingenuous to say that 17 points were caused because of the offense leaving the defense with their backs against the wall, and the other 21 ARE ALSO because the defense was gassed because the offense couldn't sustain drives? All 38 points are on the offense? No defensive accountability? It's all on Guarantano? I'm not willing to do that.

If you are going to play offense the way it happened this year, then you need one offense and two defenses because this is not a one plus one makes a whole two kind of team. More like a 1/3 offense at best, and the defense trying to handle the remaining 2/3 of the game ... to do that takes a lot more defensive than offensive players on the roster. The worst part is that it's not just three and out with a punt to preserve field position; there were too many gifts with short fields for the other guys. It's still a team sport and there are offensive and defensive aspects. Another way to see it is that rather than the team with the greatest number of points wins is that the team that allows the other side the fewest points wins.

Well if u take away the 17 points u gave them on offense u win 23-21 and thats without the last second TD we got.

If the defense can't stay off the field and the o sits for long stretches of time the offense can stagnate. It works both ways.

Also 23 should be enough for UT to beat GSU.

Defense allowing 9/10 on third or fourth and short was the problem.

Well if u take away the 17 points u gave them on offense u win 23-21 and thats without the last second TD we got.

And the same works if you keep the 17 on the board you gifted and take away the 21. Or whatever combination of the two.
So where do you draw the line of the offense “gifting” points and holding the defense accountable for not being up to the task that day? Like how GA State opened the second half with a 75 yard TD drive?

And the same works if you keep the 17 on the board you gifted and take away the 21. Or whatever combination of the two.
So where do you draw the line of the offense “gifting” points and holding the defense accountable for not being up to the task that day? Like how GA State opened the second half with a 75 yard TD drive?
The Vols offense had multiple turnovers during the second half alone. Here's how this works. The offense cannot score when they turnover the ball. This removes scoring chances which are not limited to the offense but the majority of points are scored when you possess the ball offensively. Now you give them additional possessions and opportunities to score. Turnovers can also decrease the amount of yardage the other team needs to get into scoring position. Not always but in this game it did. Given less yardage to obtain and more chances to score the odds of any offense scoring increases exponentially.

The shorter you have to go to score plus the amount of opportunities you get equals increased scoring.

If this is difficult to comprehend then football is too complicated for you. The University of Tennessee has other sports you can root for and keep your Vol card. We always need more fans to show up and support our softball team. They are very good and enjoyable to watch. You may meet our backup QB watching his girlfriend at a game and maybe he can better explain how this all works in football for you.

Go Vols

The Vols offense had multiple turnovers during the second half alone. Here's how this works. The offense cannot score when they turnover the ball. This removes scoring chances which are not limited to the offense but the majority of points are scored when you possess the ball offensively. Now you give them additional possessions and opportunities to score. Turnovers can also decrease the amount of yardage the other team needs to get into scoring position. Not always but in this game it did. Given less yardage to obtain and more chances to score the odds of any offense scoring increases exponentially.

The shorter you have to go to score plus the amount of opportunities you get equals increased scoring.

If this is difficult to comprehend then football is too complicated for you. The University of Tennessee has other sports you can root for and keep your Vol card. We always need more fans to show up and support our softball team. They are very good and enjoyable to watch. You may meet our backup QB watching his girlfriend at a game and maybe he can better explain how this all works in football for you.

Go Vols

I think I follow you. So answer me this: Who is responsible for the Vols losing 38-30?

a. The offense
b. The defense
c. Both a and b

I’d say we are a decent QB from being a decent team. We are a real good QB from being a good team, plus some defensive linemen.

Reactions: krichunaka
I do believe the coaches when they say JG gives us the best chance to win. And it can be argued he did win us a few games. Fine.

To get where we all want to be, winning the East and going to the SECCG, it's time to find and develop a QB that can get you there. We have made really good strides on defense (IMO they are ahead of schedule), OL shows signs of solid improvement, depth is better, RBs can hurt you when the OL executes, and receivers have stepped up. All these areas are rounding out, to be competitive with the teams we gotta beat.

We had holes, big ones, on both side of the ball, for several years. QB was one. But now it's starting to show that everything around that position has improved. To the point the QB is the liability negating these improvements. JG's body of work speaks for itself. He is not going to get you where you need to go.....he is not going to help you make that next step up when that time comes.

Reactions: krichunaka
To be a really good to great Team you need a great #1 QB and a solid #2 QB in case #1 goes down or out for the season...Serious Depth.

Serious depth at ALL positions!

You basically need 2 starters at every position like Bama, Clemson and the other top programs have.

We simply ARE still rebuilding and we will be until we get enough quality SEC players and depth at every position so if 1 goes out we lose little or nothing when the backup comes in.

That's what Fulmer had most of the time in our best glory years when we EXPECTED to get the WIN in every game.

Recruiting today is lots different than back in those days so it's harder to get the recruiting ball rolling.

As we get more WINS and better Bowl game WINS then more of the top stud players WILL want to come to the hill.

As we lose stud players every year we need to have top starting studs ready to take over and this IS a process that's still going to take some time.

Had we gotten the WIN against alaBubba then I believe we would have signed a few more stud players this year so we're getting close.

Yes, we need 2 better QB's but this IS still a TEAM game and our Team is still rebuilding.

I totally HATE having to be patient because I'm running up in years and out of time but we all have no other options unfortunately.

I sure wish we could recruit 25 players the quality of Henry T next year that can learn fast and start instantly.

We ARE getting better but we're not up there with the BIG boys just yet.

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: krichunaka and AM64
If so, would the Wake QB be an upgrade? I would love for Bailey to be able to redshirt next season.

I don’t know that any of our QB’s who played this year are truly capable of playing at this level.

I’d trade any of our current QB’s for Indiana’s in a heart beat.
Bailey does not need a redshirt. He's an EE and he's more SEC ready - physically - than any of our guys. If he struggles learning the playbook - sure, RS - but he will still play 4 games. Keep it simple and roll with the best talent. My guess is he starts by game 3 or 4. Game 1 if JG transfers.

I see u wont let this go lol. If the offense turns the ball over in their own territory they gave away points. It dnt matter if its 3 or 7. U directly put the opponent in scoring position. We did that 3 times which cost us 17. If u take those 17 off the board we win the game period. That defense was missing 3 key players, had 0 dlineman who started 1 game at UT, going against the triple option. Still managed to only give up 350 total yards even with the offense giving Ga st 3 extra possessions smh. The offense put us in a whole and when we started to climb out we fell even deeper. Just a bad game that im trying to forget.

VN Store

Back