Are we just a QB away from being good?

How do we ever get into a year that is not a rebuilding year? If we have players graduating (leaving) and/or going pro, and recruiting HS players (giving them scholarships) thus New players, how do we ever have a Built year as opposed to the Rebuilding year I hear so much about? I've missed the trick somewhere along the line. In fact every time I hear, Rebuilding year, my first guess is, the person relying on that statement doesn't have a clue how NCAA football works-we are always in a building year, and so is everyone else.

Yep, the college team that isn't rebuilding by having to replace grads, transfers (thanks especially to the new portal), losses to the NFL, and those who give up football with freshmen right out of HS ranks right up there with the "sure fire" replacement coaches ... and the Heisman candidate who has never played a down of college football. They do happen, but you are generally better off believing in the Easter Bunny and Santa.

But you also need guys who can block and backs that can run for more than 93 yards against a horrid defense. we didnt do either. JG didnt play great as well as the oline, running backs, defensive line and dbs. Both games were a sh!tty performance by both sides of the ball. cb's and de's had plenty of opportunities to stop the option. Im not saying youre the one saying it's all on JG, but there's a lot of mouth breathers on here that act like if he would have made 2 less mistakes we would be 10-3.
Preach!!! I'm tired of hearing it as well. All the neverJG NegaVols should place their venom on Pruitt. Stop putting it on the player and start bashing the coach that keeps playing him.

At least 10 wins, and I believe we have some good qb on our roster now.

TLDR version is 3>2[/QUOTE]
We would have 10 wins this year with better QB play IMO.
I refuse to believe the team lost to G State for the sole reason of bad QB play. The entire team sucked. The defense sucked. The coaching sucked.
I also don't get the blame on JG for the BYU game. The secondary literally lost that game in inexcusable fashion. "But if we had better QB we would have scored a lot more points." O yeah? If we had better DB play they still wouldve won. So stop planting the blame on his shoulders alone for that game.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
TLDR version is 3>2

I refuse to believe the team lost to G State for the sole reason of bad QB play. The entire team sucked. The defense sucked. The coaching sucked.
I also don't get the blame on JG for the BYU game. The secondary literally lost that game in inexcusable fashion. "But if we had better QB we would have scored a lot more points." O yeah? If we had better DB play they still wouldve won. So stop planting the blame on his shoulders alone for that game.
Against GS st in thr 2nd half our offense had 4 drives 1 int. 2 FGs. And 1 punt. Before a stat padding final td drive....bottom he couldnt keep the offense moving foward to rest the defense....thats on the QB not making plays or moving the chains....i suppose its on the defense for being on the field almost 3/4 of the time in the 2nd half..
BYU 2nd half. 6 drives 1 int 3 punt 1 to on down and. Fg. Started Up 13 to 3. We couldnt move the ball..oh but thats the defenses fault too

Reactions: krichunaka
Was the pass that was supposed to be dropped over his shoulder in the corner. That JG had no touch on

The one Calloway went up for and fully extending his right arm touched the ball, 2 feet to the right and it would be TD, but you go ahead and see it your way. Oh and add the frequent complaint that JG waits too long to deliver.

A good QB would have won us the first two games but we'd have still lost to Bama, UGA and UF.

Would look good on paper but we'd still be in the same pecking order in the SEC.

We obviously need a good QB but we'll need talented depth to compete with the top half of the conference
No, the entire team was not ready to play week 1.

Reactions: EconVol92
The one Calloway went up for and fully extending his right arm touched the ball, 2 feet to the right and it would be TD, but you go ahead and see it your way. Oh and add the frequent complaint that JG waits too long to deliver.
I wanted to verify so i could watch it again...why so defensive??

No, the entire team was not ready to play week 1.

Have you ever thought they didn't look as if they were ready because they knew jg was starting and they didn't think he should. I recall maurer first start, how it ignited the whole team, like finally a real qb. Actually if you look back at our season this is when the team really changed and the whole team started playing better, then maurer got hurt and they were ok with jg cause maurer was hurt. You ever wonder why pruitt started jj and shrout and then pulled after very limited time. Pruitt didnt want to announce to the crowd that jg was starting??

Reactions: I40flyer
TLDR version is 3>2

I also don't get the blame on JG for the BYU game. The secondary literally lost that game in inexcusable fashion. "But if we had better QB we would have scored a lot more points." O yeah? If we had better DB play they still wouldve won. So stop planting the blame on his shoulders alone for that game.[/QUOTE]

You’re saying one play lost the BYU game when I can show you double that on QB play alone that would have swung the game 14 points towards Tennessee way and it isn’t even a contest in the 4th quarter.

Don’t forget the sure interception in the endzone that Jennings ripped from BYU’s safety, either.

Any good QB performance in that game ensures it’s over by 3rd quarter.

But yes, let’s excuse the habitually bad QB and literally pick one play that lost the game.

Reactions: EconVol92
Against GS st in thr 2nd half our offense had 4 drives 1 int. 2 FGs. And 1 punt. Before a stat padding final td drive....bottom he couldnt keep the offense moving foward to rest the defense....thats on the QB not making plays or moving the chains....i suppose its on the defense for being on the field almost 3/4 of the time in the 2nd half..
BYU 2nd half. 6 drives 1 int 3 punt 1 to on down and. Fg. Started Up 13 to 3. We couldnt move the ball..oh but thats the defenses fault too
You're acting like I'm not putting blame on JG.
The D was missing a couple key players, Henry T wasn't ready along with the rest of the D. They may have been on the field a lot but they still allowed 38 points.
I'm also unsure why you act like JG gets all the blame for the offense stalling. It was against precious 2-10 Georgia Freaking State, man. Chandler and Jordan should have had 150 a piece. The team had a terrible 93 yards total rushing. That's awful. It was a simple issue of Trey's health and 2 freshmen on the OL. JG still threw for 300 yards.
The coaching was also bad as it seems they thought they could easily handle GSU.
Again, if the secondary doesn't crap their pants, they win the BYU game and we're not talking about this. It's that simple.
JG isn't a very good QB, but to put almost all of the blame on his for those 2 losses is ridiculous.

You're acting like I'm not putting blame on JG.
The D was missing a couple key players, Henry T wasn't ready along with the rest of the D. They may have been on the field a lot but they still allowed 38 points.
I'm also unsure why you act like JG gets all the blame for the offense stalling. It was against precious 2-10 Georgia Freaking State, man. Chandler and Jordan should have had 150 a piece. The team had a terrible 93 yards total rushing. That's awful. It was a simple issue of Trey's health and 2 freshmen on the OL. JG still threw for 300 yards.
The coaching was also bad as it seems they thought they could easily handle GSU.
Again, if the secondary doesn't crap their pants, they win the BYU game and we're not talking about this. It's that simple.
JG isn't a very good QB, but to put almost all of the blame on his for those 2 losses is ridiculous.
Re read that. You have a QB throw for 300 yards and RSJR QB whom should have been able to carry his team to a W over GA St....tell me the last time that a UGA,UF,Bama,Auburn,Okla or any power 5 team had a QB throw for 300 yards and lose to a team like GA st???? It doesnt happen.

Reactions: I40flyer

You’re saying one play lost the BYU game when I can show you double that on QB play alone that would have swung the game 14 points towards Tennessee way and it isn’t even a contest in the 4th quarter.

Don’t forget the sure interception in the endzone that Jennings ripped from BYU’s safety, either.

Any good QB performance in that game ensures it’s over by 3rd quarter.

But yes, let’s excuse the habitually bad QB and literally pick one play that lost the game.[/QUOTE]
Sorry dude, but if the meltdown doesn't happen at the end of regulation, we're not even talking about this.
As bad as JG played, he had his team leading and SHOULD HAVE WON. The defense, which was nowhere near being a good D at this point, blew the game. So it doesn't matter how badly he played. He had his team in the lead. You won't change my mind.

Reactions: Tnslim1
Re read that. You have a QB throw for 300 yards and RSJR QB whom should have been able to carry his team to a W over GA St....tell me the last time that a UGA,UF,Bama,Auburn,Okla or any power 5 team had a QB throw for 300 yards and lose to a team like GA st???? It doesnt happen.
How many teams can't get more than 93 yards rushing?

For those who would like to blame the defense, UT ranked 23 in total defense. The offense ranked 100 in total offense. While the defense has work to do it far outpaced the offense. QB is the number one concern.

For those who would like to blame the defense, UT ranked 23 in total defense. The offense ranked 100 in total offense. While the defense has work to do it far outpaced the offense. QB is the number one concern.
Good post; however, you may confuse some with these facts. There are none so blind, as those that will not see....

Plenty when thier QB throw for that man yards. Lol. Hell we only had 111 vs Missouri
Answer this question and we'll call it a day.

Is the TEAM that has won 7 straight, the SAME team that played in the GSU game?
Was the OL as good? Grey? How about Warrior and Henry T? How about with Smith and Bituli healthy?

If you say "yes" you're insane. If you say "no" you're proving my.point.

Was the defense that shut down Miss St, SCjr, UK, Mizzu, the same defense as the one that trotted out onto the field in either the tt 2 games?

VN Store

Back