Are we just a QB away from being good?

Answer this question and we'll call it a day.

Is the TEAM that has won 7 straight, the SAME team that played in the GSU game?
Was the OL as good? Grey? How about Warrior and Henry T? How about with Smith and Bituli healthy?

If you say "yes" you're insane. If you say "no" you're proving my.point.
Yes its the same team. That gave up 400 yards to SC 300 plus in those other wins...oh at GA st and BYU in the same ball park. So you tell me. Wheres the issue???

Have you ever thought they didn't look as if they were ready because they knew jg was starting and they didn't think he should. I recall maurer first start, how it ignited the whole team, like finally a real qb. Actually if you look back at our season this is when the team really changed and the whole team started playing better, then maurer got hurt and they were ok with jg cause maurer was hurt. You ever wonder why pruitt started jj and shrout and then pulled after very limited time. Pruitt didnt want to announce to the crowd that jg was starting??
I don't buy into that at all, they practice and see, the unfortunate reality is we didn't have a qb on the roster better than JG, we had qb's with potential but not necessarily better. Plain and simple if we did they would have been starting over him all along.

Was the defense that shut down Miss St, SCjr, UK, Mizzu, the same defense as the one that trotted out onto the field in either the tt 2 games?
Every Team learns from week to week. Every team suffers from injuries, some get better some get worse, but they are always playing teams that have been going through the same thing; therefore, no team is "the same" as when it played in previous games. That doesn't address the important issue, what has gotten better and/or worse, and why. The best thing about Football, is there is a final score, no matter how much fans cry and whine, the W and L stays the same. If many on this board are correct in their assessment of the state of our team, next season should be a 10+ SEASON! I've heard "Next season" for so long, I'm glad we are finally going to have an old fashion Tennessee butt whooping season! After the Oklahoma win, NCAA football will be on notice-we're back....

Reactions: jlawso21
I don't buy into that at all, they practice and see, the unfortunate reality is we didn't have a qb on the roster better than JG, we had qb's with potential but not necessarily better. Plain and simple if we did they would have been starting over him all along.
Now we are back at wether they got a fair shake...given that CJP said several times during the season the JG was going to play no matter what. Thats tells me he wanted JG the whole time. Much like butch did. He wouldnt be the first coach to play his guy above other. Even the great Saban did it with Hurts

Reactions: I40flyer
Now we are back at wether they got a fair shake...given that CJP said several times during the season the JG was going to play no matter what. Thats tells me he wanted JG the whole time. Much like butch did. He wouldnt be the first coach to play his guy above other. Even the great Saban did it with Hurts
Except JG wasn't his guy, he didn't recruit him.

Reactions: jlawso21
Yes its the same team. That gave up 400 yards to SC 300 plus in those other wins...oh at GA st and BYU in the same ball park. So you tell me. Wheres the issue???
Haha.
Wow. You think that the defense was as good then as it is now.
You think Smith, Kennedy and Bituli's health had no factor in their units performances.
You think Henry T, Grey, Warrior, Morris, are playing at the same level they were opening game.
You think the team that has found a way to win lately is the same as the one who found a way to lose against BYU.
You think the 2nd half defense that smoked SCjr, Miss St, UK, and allowed a combined 17 points against 2 top 10 teams, is the same 2nd half defense against GSU.
You're crazy man. I can't argue with you any longer.

Haha.
Wow. You think that the defense was as good then as it is now.
You think Smith, Kennedy and Bituli's health had no factor in their units performances.
You think Henry T, Grey, Warrior, Morris, are playing at the same level they were opening game.
You think the team that has found a way to win lately is the same as the one who found a way to lose against BYU.
You think the 2nd half defense that smoked SCjr, Miss St, UK, and allowed a combined 17 points against 2 top 10 teams, is the same 2nd half defense against GSU.
You're crazy man. I can't argue with you any longer.

Dude is clown shoes. He doesn’t understand the concept of improvement or that football is a team game.

Nope. RBs inconsistent (hopefully Gray takes over next year), WRs are going to be a question mark along with TE's, losing our best pass rusher, losing Bituli, along with depth. We still need to get a few pieces but we have potential.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
Nope. RBs inconsistent (hopefully Gray takes over next year), WRs are going to be a question mark along with TE's, losing our best pass rusher, losing Bituli, along with depth. We still need to get a few pieces but we have potential.
WR's gonna be a big problem. Took our guys 3 years to learn how to catch JG's terrible throws.

JG is to the Vols as Marcus Mariotta is to the Titans.

Both keep doing just enough to make you wonder if they will ever turn the corner from being marginally good to really good/great.

It took the Titans taking a chance with Tannehill to realize that MM was not going to cut it for the Titans. Who know what their season would have looked like with Tannehill starting from game #1. They are pretty lethal now on offense for sure.

Right now the Vols don't have a "Tannehill" on the roster. Let's all hope HB is that guy, because JG does not seem to be able to turn the corner from "good to great" !!!

2 passes for 10 yards from Tannehill to guys other than Derrick Henry, he can probably be upgraded as well

Exactly. I dnt understand why everyone thinks he needs to redshirt. The only time that elite frosh qbs sit is when they have a stud in front of them which we obviously dnt. These guys are leaving early to play in the NFL anyway so u may as well get 3 yrs out of him instead of 2. I believe this actually increases a qbs draft stock if he puts together 3 yrs of good tape

Trevor Lawrence did just fine without a redshirt. The good ones are ready. If Bailey is really as good as he appears to be, PLAY HIM

So what part of our team didnt improve???

None. The whole team improved. I understand the criticism of JG. It’s warranted to a degree. But regardless of what you or some others want to believe, he was the best we had. Without him we don’t make and win a bowl game.

Neither Maurer nor Shrout could win the job out right. That was clearly evident by all the practice reports.

Trevor Lawrence did just fine without a redshirt. The good ones are ready. If Bailey is really as good as he appears to be, PLAY HIM

Lol. Serious question, will Bailey have anything remotely close to what TL had around him as far as team wise?

I think next year our ceiling is what Auburn was last year. We will have a really good defense and a young quarterback with talent and am above average running game.

A good QB would have won us the first two games but we'd have still lost to Bama, UGA and UF.

Would look good on paper but we'd still be in the same pecking order in the SEC.

We obviously need a good QB but we'll need talented depth to compete with the top half of the conference

My thoughts exactly. With better QB play, we're 10-3 right now rather than 8-5, but we're still behind those three teams. There is improvement to be made across the board and not just at quarterback. It's not as simple as saying, "Get a stud QB in here and the Vols win the SEC."

If Bailey shows the coaches he is ready to lead the team, during practices 2020 spring and summer, He should absolutely NOT be red-shirted.
His talents are desperately needed right now. It would be foolish to postpone a year of Offensive progress, hoping to capture him for a future year that he may choose
an NFL career.

Next season CJP needs to demonstrate he is a real coach, the real deal, he has been on a roll, I hope we win at least 10. Next season (never seems to come) is not the time to "hold back" anything that can give UT an edge, if we have a player that can help us win games-play him (this is the SEC, this is the big time), and at the same time if we have a player that is costing us points/games show him the bench. We are no longer trying to develop champions of life, rather, developing a winning football team. Year three, CJP it is time to shine, how about an SEC Championship? Or, how about being one of the two teams that play for the SEC Championship-let's have some UT of old type goals.

VN Store

Back