Are we just a QB away from being good?

I don’t think there is a question of if. Pruitt knows defense is recruiting the guys he can plug in right away. He’s not a star gazer.

I hope you're right. I'd love to know who made the call to get out of that crap prevent in the last minute.

Reactions: AM64
A good QB would have won us the first two games but we'd have still lost to Bama, UGA and UF.

Would look good on paper but we'd still be in the same pecking order in the SEC.

We obviously need a good QB but we'll need talented depth to compete with the top half of the conference

Accurate IMO.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
That score was 23-38 late in the 4th. U can blame the defense if u want but the offense went turnover on downs, fg, fg, fumble, int, turnover on downs from the 2nd quater through the 4th. Ga st had the 121st ranked scoring defense out of 130 schools and we scored less then what they give up on avg. With better Qb play we pound Ga st easily and we beat BYU who did everything but hand is the game

With better defense play we wouldn't have given up 38. Not sure who to blame for that besides the defense.

JG is to the Vols as Marcus Mariotta is to the Titans.

Both keep doing just enough to make you wonder if they will ever turn the corner from being marginally good to really good/great.

It took the Titans taking a chance with Tannehill to realize that MM was not going to cut it for the Titans. Who know what their season would have looked like with Tannehill starting from game #1. They are pretty lethal now on offense for sure.

Right now the Vols don't have a "Tannehill" on the roster. Let's all hope HB is that guy, because JG does not seem to be able to turn the corner from "good to great" !!!

He's not "good".

Capable is the word i would use.

With better defense play we wouldn't have given up 38. Not sure who to blame for that besides the defense.
The only way the defense can give up 38 is if the offense cant stay on the field. Our defense was missing our top DL, LB, & DB for that game but our offense was at full strength. When u are up against an unorthodox offense like ga st has u cant turn the ball over 3 times. The formula for beating teams that dnt have the talent u have is to simply put your foot on the gas early. The longer the game stays close the harder the less talented team will play. Ill say it again Ga st had the 121st ranked scoring defense out of 130 schools. We should have had 30 at halftime.

That first set of downs when we got to the six yard line was mind boggling. I was looking to see if Butch was back. I thought we could've tried to run it on first and second down and if unsuccessful throw from there.
Crouch agrees

A one word answer to your question. Yes !
I don't want to suffer another year watching JG repeating the same mistakes over and over again.

Pitiful in the red zone !
I'm not throwing shade at JG...think he's a great kid, tough, hard worker, and has done some really good things...but, when his "A game" disappears, it really goes south, fast. I can almost tell from his eyes when we get down in the red zone that he's not confident at all. Not sure why we passed three times in a row down there on first and goal.

Reactions: Rickyvol77 and AM64
We still would have lost to Florida Georgia and Bama probably but would have won the other two. Indiana game would not have been close. 10-3 with solid QB play

The only way the defense can give up 38 is if the offense cant stay on the field. Our defense was missing our top DL, LB, & DB for that game but our offense was at full strength. When u are up against an unorthodox offense like ga st has u cant turn the ball over 3 times. The formula for beating teams that dnt have the talent u have is to simply put your foot on the gas early. The longer the game stays close the harder the less talented team will play. Ill say it again Ga st had the 121st ranked scoring defense out of 130 schools. We should have had 30 at halftime.

No. The only way a defense can give up 38 is if they don't play well enough and give up 38.

"It's the offense's fault that the defense gave up 38."

You need some mustard and salt for that mental pretzel.

We are a good QB and a few d-linemen away from being good.

Yep. I remember something Coach Fulmer said one time that I think rings true. He said the two absolute most important positions on a football team are quarterback and defensive tackle. He said if you are good at those two positions you will win a lot of football games.

Well we lost those games 112-30. I do think good QB play play makes it closer but doesn't flip any of them to a win.
If you watch that bama game then you know it was much closer than final score indicates and we had our chance in the 4th and if we score on the goal line there instead of fumble and ran back for TD then it’s a 1 Possesion game!!!

Part of JGs problems I blame on coaches. The play calling in the red zone simply magnified JGs shortcomings. JG isnt good at picking out WRs in close coverage, yet they elect to throw about 15 passes in the red zone with this guy. Thats like asking Babe Ruth to steal 2nd base.....

Agreed. They did him no favors.

Reactions: FïreBall
We would have 10 wins this year with better QB play IMO.
Yep, including a very realistic shot of pulling off a program changing upset at #1 Alabama (at the time). Instead, because of his inexplicably poor judgment and play, it looks like a blowout loss on paper and the losing streak to Bama was extended.

I made this post elsewhere but I'll bring it up once more. Last night, when we were in a 3rd and 9 in the 4th quarter with the game on the line, down two scores, I watched JG check down to a wide receiver who was well covered behind the line of scrimmage for a 1 yard loss. He could have tried to scramble, he could have tried to throw a prayer down field which would be no different than a punt if intercepted.... yet he checked down, in one of the most pivotal moments of the entire year. I cannot stress this enough. That is NOT a play even a decent QB makes. That is someone who plays scared. I don't know where Missouri game JG came from, and I don't know where he went, but for all his toughness (which I respect), Guarantano is a bad to average QB as a rule of thumb.

I question the play calling in the red zone,almost all passes with a quarterback that is shaky at best when they had a pretty good RB that should have gotten a chance at scoring. Tenn looked like a team that had never run a goal line drill in practice. For me, when a team can't punch it in from 5 yards out, that speaks volumes about coaching and play calling.Glad they won the game, but my god, look at some game film and fix this.

Reactions: wmcovol and Ratvol
From last year to this, I've seen measurable progress along the defensive line, linebackers and backfield. The same is true with our O-line, receivers and running backs. For the team as a whole, the Vols are improving and moving forward. The one one position where I've not seen progress is at quarterback. From last year to this, we're still holding the same discussions. Guarantano is a wonderful young man, a true VFL. How can you not admire and like that kid? But, as a quarterback, he's not a difference maker. If the Vols hope to step up to the next level, they must find a way to ignite the offense. That means significantly stepping up the quality of play at the quarterback position.

Reactions: Rickyvol77 and AM64
If Bituli played all year and we weren't missing four d starters the first few games we win 10 this year. Availability of players seemed to be the biggest factor. Even when Bituli went out last night they had their best drives.
This is the best proof we need a QB upgrade. JG without Bituli equals losses. You nailed it!

VN Store

Back