Anybody recognize the Ref that hurt us the most?

Thanks for this thread. I knew something had to be up. Matthews. It all makes sense now. I cannot believe he was allowed to enter Neyland Stadium, much less be an official of one of our games. Neither call was his to make. Both were the back judge's responsibility and he did not flag them.

Back in 2000, the SEC told us he would not officiate a UT game again because he obviously had a grudge vs. us being a Vandy TE in 1981 when he made that call on the field that Gaffney made a catch.

He was the one in the middle of every PI call last night that didn't get called or went against us.

Wow! Didn't know this. Now it all makes sense as to how someone could miss 2 obvious PI calls on our guys and then call 2 PI against Vereen that were very questionable calls at best. Those calls alone would have most likely made up an 11 point difference in the game at least (we score a TD instead of FG on Rivera PI missed call; they punt because of one PI instead of continuing drive for FG and they kick FG instead of scoring TD after another PI call on 3rd and goal)! And who knows what happens when we would have gotten a 1st down after Marlin got mauled by their LB on 3rd and long. Some things are tough to swallow. We beat ourselves enough sometimes, much less having the refs or one particular ref making calls or no calls to beat us! Frustrating! Unlike all the other negative fans that we have on this website, as disappointed as I am with the loss last night (hurts worse cuz I live in Georgia unfortunately), I will still pick myself up and be ready to pull for our kids this Saturday! I hope that the rest of our fans will do the same. We can't get upper level talent, if all that these recruits see from our fan base is how negative and unsupportive our fans are during times like this. They want to play somewhere that has a fan base who will support them no matter what. I hope these kids will pick themselves up and play hard against LSU! GO VOLS!

Also doesnt help when they see fans piling out of the stadium early like they were last night. Doesn't look good for the program as a whole.

Wow! Didn't know this. Now it all makes sense as to how someone could miss 2 obvious PI calls on our guys and then call 2 PI against Vereen that were very questionable calls at best. Those calls alone would have most likely made up an 11 point difference in the game at least (we score a TD instead of FG on Rivera PI missed call; they punt because of one PI instead of continuing drive for FG and they kick FG instead of scoring TD after another PI call on 3rd and goal)! And who knows what happens when we would have gotten a 1st down after Marlin got mauled by their LB on 3rd and long. Some things are tough to swallow. We beat ourselves enough sometimes, much less having the refs or one particular ref making calls or no calls to beat us! Frustrating! Unlike all the other negative fans that we have on this website, as disappointed as I am with the loss last night (hurts worse cuz I live in Georgia unfortunately), I will still pick myself up and be ready to pull for our kids this Saturday! I hope that the rest of our fans will do the same. We can't get upper level talent, if all that these recruits see from our fan base is how negative and unsupportive our fans are during times like this. They want to play somewhere that has a fan base who will support them no matter what. I hope these kids will pick themselves up and play hard against LSU! GO VOLS!

ZR wasn't PI. Dude just couldn't turn while running without tripping over his feet.

The fact that a guy with a proven history of horrible calls concerning UT games was allowed to ref this game is unbelievable.

Reactions: 1 person
Al Matthews is ... and has been ... a waste of skin. He should be ashamed to admit that he went to Vandy. Vandy should be ashamed of him. He blew the Gaffney TD and was told he wouldn't be back in Neyland. He made a triumphant return with calls and "non calls" to teach the Vols a lesson!

That's insane, I had no idea. That PI call on Vereen basically decided the game, without that we have a shot even with zero running game.

UGA has the one fumble call to question, and the holding calls which allowed UGA to run about three extra minutes off the clock since the clock runs after penalties and they actually got 8 downs since there were four consecutive penalties. Matthews had trouble with spots as well, which was because he could not keep up with the play; he was running in from an angle trying to establish a spot; you cannot do that accurately.
In the end the better team last night won; my point with Al Matthews is that he should not get the chance to EVER do another UT game; he was not a good ref when he was younger and now that he has to Grandpa Jones it to keep up with play, he needs to retire from the SEC and do arena football. Add to that his bias against anything UT and its a recipe for disaster for him doing Vol games.

Dawgs beat us last night; they made the plays and we didnt; but that ref has got to go.......

The refs sucked ass for both teams, they weren't in eithers favor. Georgia beat us because they're a better football team. Get over yourselves.

Pretty sure the OP said that the refs didn't cost us the game, they were bad and their calls/noncalls hurt us.. Soooo... didn't you just agree with him?

That ref crew was bad.

On a side note:

Tennesse_2_t607.jpg

Kiffin and Matthews @ UF game in 2009. Kiffin apparently had the ban lifted.

I have no words for this kind of thinking. If UT had won, officiating would be a non-factor. I'll stick with my previous comment.

Had UT won, the officiating and commentary would have still been atrocious.

First non-PI call on UT, I was like, cool, they are letting them play. Same with the second.

The two PI calls that resulted in 10 points for UGA were the same as the two non-calls.

In the fumble that "should have been overturned," the hand on the ball was wearing an orange glove. UGA player was wrapped around that hand on one side, and ball on the other. Dual possession goes to offense.

It was awful officiating on both sides. The 4th and ridiculousness was makeup calls to keep UGA from putting up another 7, and that also was bad officiating.

Tennessee got beat on the field. Both teams got assaulted by the officiating, and both teams should be pretty pissed at that crew.

I'm watching the replay and UT (Neal) fumbled with 5:34 left in the 1st. The replay clearly shows a fumble, recovered by UGA, and the commentators said that the refs got it wrong by giving UT the ball back. Anyone who says that the refs were biased is thinking one-sided.

You couldn't definitively give one team the possession. Both Neal and the UGA player had their hands on the ball as it was pinned underneath Neal.

It's like a tie at first base. Call goes to the runner. In this case, it went with the offense which was correct.

Cunningham (Commentator) missed most everything he gave an opinion about last night. Dude is moron and shouldn't announce games.

Never the less - Good game. Y'all played good D and confused our O all night.

I'm watching the replay and UT (Neal) fumbled with 5:34 left in the 1st. The replay clearly shows a fumble, recovered by UGA, and the commentators said that the refs got it wrong by giving UT the ball back. Anyone who says that the refs were biased is thinking one-sided.

rewind and watch again. The play was blown dead before anyone had clear possession. If the refs were wrong, it was that they blew the play dead a bit premature. I do think the refs were being attention whores the entire game though.

Alamma Matthews..............I have wondered his name for a while..thanks for the info.
Does anyone know where he lives?????

And there should have been a personal foul for a latehit on the same play yet you fail to mention it....
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I have no words for this kind of thinking. If UT had won, officiating would be a non-factor. I'll stick with my previous comment.

I bet you were whining like a ***** after the LSU game in Athens a couple years a go. Stop being a tool.

I watched the replay too with my 20/15 eyesight.
Unless that Georgia player was wearing a Tangerine Orange glove you have no case. If you looked very closely into the pileup, an orange finger-tipped glove had the ball pinned to his thigh and the ground after the fumble. It looked as though the Georgia player was in a much better position to rip it, but the ball stayed wrapped under that orange glove until the TN player pulled it up to himself. That's why the replay officials gave TN possession.

Last edited:
Had UT won, the officiating and commentary would have still been atrocious.

First non-PI call on UT, I was like, cool, they are letting them play. Same with the second.

The two PI calls that resulted in 10 points for UGA were the same as the two non-calls.

In the fumble that "should have been overturned," the hand on the ball was wearing an orange glove. UGA player was wrapped around that hand on one side, and ball on the other. Dual possession goes to offense.

It was awful officiating on both sides. The 4th and ridiculousness was makeup calls to keep UGA from putting up another 7, and that also was bad officiating.

Tennessee got beat on the field. Both teams got assaulted by the officiating, and both teams should be pretty pissed at that crew.

Well said :clapping:

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back