Anybody recognize the Ref that hurt us the most?

vol81

Let me say first that the refs did not cost us the game.
The first possession of the third qtr set the tone in my opinion and we laid an egg, again.
But, the ref that missed the two PI's against us, and made the two huge PI's for GA (the big tall old black guy), was none other than ole Alamma Matthews, the Vandy grad who hates UT, and who made the Gaffney "catch" call that allowed the Gators to steal one from us a decade ago. He hosed us in that game on several other calls and after that year Fulmer had the SEC take him off our games and he didnt call any of our games till the Punk took over, then the blackball was lifted. Dooley should see about reinstating it now.
This guy should never call one of our games, EVER.

Reactions: 13 people
I thought Al Matthews was barred from reffing in Neyland ever again after the Gaffney deal.

I agree, the refs didn't play OL and didn't play RB but the calls really did hurt us (especially since we are so young). If that was really Matthews this is ridiculous. Dooley needs to reinstate that ban. I thought the guy retired.

I was sitting in the south end of the end zone looking directly at the play. Absolutely no PI. However the Ref was standing on the Ga sideline and the Ga coaches and bench started yelling at him and he threw the flag. Not making any assumptions here just stating the facts.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

The refs sucked ass for both teams, they weren't in eithers favor. Georgia beat us because they're a better football team. Get over yourselves.

Let me say first that the refs did not cost us the game.
The first possession of the third qtr set the tone in my opinion and we laid an egg, again.
But, the ref that missed the two PI's against us, and made the two huge PI's for GA (the big tall old black guy), was none other than ole Alamma Matthews, the Vandy grad who hates UT, and who made the Gaffney "catch" call that allowed the Gators to steal one from us a decade ago. He hosed us in that game on several other calls and after that year Fulmer had the SEC take him off our games and he didnt call any of our games till the Punk took over, then the blackball was lifted. Dooley should see about reinstating it now.
This guy should never call one of our games, EVER.

I'm watching the replay and UT (Neal) fumbled with 5:34 left in the 1st. The replay clearly shows a fumble, recovered by UGA, and the commentators said that the refs got it wrong by giving UT the ball back. Anyone who says that the refs were biased is thinking one-sided.

Reactions: 1 person
Wasn't that the ref from either the LSU or UNC game last year?

We lost on our own, but those calls on Vereen were bogus, and UGA got away with numerous PIs and at least one horsecollar. Wouldn't have mattered, but the officiating was noticeably bad all-around.

I'm watching the replay and UT (Neal) fumbled with 5:34 left in the 1st. The replay clearly shows a fumble, recovered by UGA, and the commentators said that the refs got it wrong by giving UT the ball back. Anyone who says that the refs were biased is thinking one-sided.

What an idiot, The GA player had an hand on the ball, but no control, go back and watch the end of it, Neal walks away with the ball. the ball was between Neals legs. no one had control of it.

What an idiot, The GA player had an hand on the ball, but no control, go back and watch the end of it, Neal walks away with the ball. the ball was between Neals legs. no one had control of it.

Yeah, I don't see what the announcer saw there. Neal clearly had his leg around the ball and a hand on it, the Georgia played had a hand on it too. It was a tossup which always goes to the offensive player.

They also blew the play dead with official clearly pointing to the ground gesturing the runner was down. At that point it is a dead ball; anything happening after that is irrelevant.

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah, I don't see what the announcer saw there. Neal clearly had his leg around the ball and a hand on it, the Georgia played had a hand on it too. It was a tossup which always goes to the offensive player.

BINGO....clearly the case.

Back to the main subject here. When I was watching on the jumbotron, I was thinking it looked like Matthews but wasn't sure until this post. Now I'm convinced. If Kiffin lifted the ban of this guy in Neyland Stadium (telling about Lame's personality) then is there a way to get word to the staff and have the ban put back?

I don't want an ex-Vandy football player who hates us calling games. Alot of those calls were more than suspect.

tennessee had the game all the way if it wasn't for the refs.

when you have 3rd and 57, you know the refs are out to get you

Really, I didn't see a fumble I saw a Tennessee player sitting on top of the ball and the Ga player with his hands near the ground but the ESPN 2 non HD cameras and the Director and Board operator wouldn't cut to a better camera for a better view. So in essence no over turning evidence, also same in the Lane run.Because of the bad camera work and non HD and second hand truck rental by ESPN 2. Both teams clearly suffered by lack of Officiating and ESPN 2 last min Back up Truck rental.

tennessee had the game all the way if it wasn't for the refs.

when you have 3rd and 57, you know the refs are out to get you

Yeah...we call those make-up, calls offered as a way for the refs to get out of the stadium safely.....took a lot as you can see.

Reactions: 1 person

That definitely led to a Tennessee touchdown, right?

UGA's non-call made Tennessee kick a field goal, and then the other TWO PI's directly led to UGA getting a touchdown.

You cannot dispute that.

Really, I didn't see a fumble I saw a Tennessee player sitting on top of the ball and the Ga player with his hands near the ground but the ESPN 2 non HD cameras and the Director and Board operator wouldn't cut to a better camera for a better view. So in essence no over turning evidence, also same in the Lane run.Because of the bad camera work and non HD and second hand truck rental by ESPN 2. Both teams clearly suffered by lack of Officiating and ESPN 2 last min Back up Truck rental.

One of the replays did show the ball coming out before Neal is down, however, Neal had his leg wrapped around it and put his hand on it, along with the UGA player.

Refs may have gotten it wrong, but when its deferred to upstairs then its out of there hands and on the replay guy and ESPN 2 didn't help him out at all!

I guess you know more than a veteran commentator. What do you do for a living? I'll choose to ignore the "idiot" thing.

That definitely led to a Tennessee touchdown, right?

UGA's non-call made Tennessee kick a field goal, and then the other TWO PI's directly led to UGA getting a touchdown.

You cannot dispute that.

You don't know what would have happened had UGA gotten the ball.

That decision was based off the fact that everyone else had already stopped before the UGA player dove on the ball. Neal was just sitting on it and our fullback was standing over him.

VN Store

Back