All things STOCKS

I’m still going to hold on to a large position in Blackrock (BLK). Makes me wonder if I should throw in the towel with State Street (STT). Keeping Schwab (SCHW) as well.

Those fund companies are holding a lot more in assets too today than 20-30 years ago too. What a 25 year bull market (excluding a couple of dips) will do for you.

It's amazing how well BLK has done post-financial crisis. The markets have done very well since March 2009, but they've benefitted way more than their competitors.

Among financials, BLK and JPM seem like they were the best-positioned post-crisis.

Any advise on custodial accounts? Or am I better off to simply open a brokerage account in my name and just have the money earmarked for him so that I can maintain control in case he gets dumb ideas at 18 or 21 (like wanting to empty the account and buy a Lamborghini)

It's amazing how well BLK has done post-financial crisis. The markets have done very well since March 2009, but they've benefitted way more than their competitors.

Among financials, BLK and JPM seem like they were the best-positioned post-crisis.

I did really well on BAC post financial crisis. Was buying it around $5 a share as late as 2011. Wish I had bought more.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Any advise on custodial accounts? Or am I better off to simply open a brokerage account in my name and just have the money earmarked for him so that I can maintain control in case he gets dumb ideas at 18 or 21 (like wanting to empty the account and buy a Lamborghini)
I'm not seeing any downside of the latter. Taxes, maybe? Our custodial accounts were always just savings and it was all for money he saved. I mean, giving kids money is pretty dangerous.

I guess you see this, but if he has income (you hire him to take the trash out?) and you make it a Roth IRA, it'll be a Roth IRA and all that goes with that.
If you make it a coverdell or 529, it'll be a coverdell or a 529 and all that goes with that.

I did really well on BAC post financial crisis. Was buying it around $5 a share as late as 2011. Wish I had bought more.

I forgot this part of the story until I just now saw my join date. That's also when I joined VN. I was in Bagram, between the lack of taxes, hazardous fire pay, etc I had some extra money for the first time in my then young life. And I also needed a way to keep up to date on TN sports and found this site. Good times.

I'm not seeing any downside of the latter. Taxes, maybe? Our custodial accounts were always just savings and it was all for money he saved. I mean, giving kids money is pretty dangerous.

I guess you see this, but if he has income (you hire him to take the trash out?) and you make it a Roth IRA, it'll be a Roth IRA and all that goes with that.
If you make it a coverdell or 529, it'll be a coverdell or a 529 and all that goes with that.
Reminds me of when I was 16. I'm sure I was being a typical teenager, and my father told me, "they should just give every 16 year old a Million dollars because they are the smartest they will ever be, and they will know how to spend it".

We set up a minor (as in his age made him a minor) Roth IRA when our oldest got his first job. We matched what he put in to hopefully provide incentive as well as to learn. Yes, there's a chance he may do something else with it later.

I like fundamentals much more than technicals. Technicals have value to optimize entry points for LT investments and also providing a basis for short term trading. Study the charts enough and it’s possible to be a front runner to the algorithmic trading. But there is a lot of randomness and an infinite number of combinations of the math to look at. I prefer to keep it more simplistic. Is revenue growing? Is the company profitable? If not are they investing in capital. What’s their competition? What’s the market cap? Are they burdened with debt? Do they sell a high quality product? Do they market themselves well? Is management focused on enriching shareholders or themselves? Is it a good industry and are they a leader?

Always late to the party. Sad.

What's the next sector rotation play then?
I'm clueless.
If that's the way you want to invest look at sectors or groups of stocks that are somewhat depressed or at a low. OTOH, they all seem expensive to me now.
I'm likely at a different point in life than you. I mostly own blue chip stocks that are typically not as volatile and pay a dividend.

Reactions: GoDucks349 and tbh
Two thoughts that tempt people into taking the bait:

1. "If I learn how to do this I'll get rich."
2. "If I learn how to do this I can quit my job."

Problem is only about 5% of people who try to day-trade with technical analysis succeed over time. The other 95% lose money they could have invested for the long-term. Fortunately, I only lost about $500 before realizing how difficult it is. Some people can pull it off though. Don't know how they do it.

Reactions: GoDucks349

VN Store

Back