All things STOCKS

They do have pricing power, but also a ton of competition now. Plus the pandemic probably pulled forward multiple years of demand for them.

This is the biggest thing to me. Paramount/Paramount + have really made headway with their own series along with other apps at a fraction of the price of Netflix...for now. Hulu as well. Netflix has some good series, but outside of that I think a lot of their content has gotten stale and they just raised their subscription fees...again. We just weren't watching enough of it so we bailed.

Reactions: 05_never_again
This is the biggest thing to me. Paramount/Paramount + have really made headway with their own series along with other apps at a fraction of the price of Netflix...for now. Hulu as well. Netflix has some good series, but outside of that I think a lot of their content has gotten stale and they just raised their subscription fees...again. We just weren't watching enough of it so we bailed.

My logic for buying puts on Tuesday.

Reactions: Vol737
Yep. Their first mover advantage is likely over.

What was the typical portfolio turnover in a year (by percent)? I'm personally a buy and hold; not active at all.

Typically under 30%. If I remember correctly we had 60+ buyouts in the portfolio one year and that really sent the turnover percent way up. Also, I would say that a large portion of the turnover was from buyouts. I just looked at the Sept 30th turnover ratio for the small cap value product and it was 29.8% (Note: these are some of the same guys I worked with, they spun off in 2010 and formed a new firm, Pacific Ridge Capital Partners. The strategies are basically the same with a few tweaks since my days)

Reactions: @1RBFjr
Downside momentum has picked up today. Sure looks like start of the big move down we’ve been expecting. What kind of cash position are some of you guys in? Interesting enough, was reading several articles on Yahoo Finance where several big hedge funds/banks were buying some relatively big positions.

I’m just asking about cash as a percentage of one’s portfolio. Dry powder for buying back at a future date.
I have way too much, and not because of a plan. I'm indeed asking if there's a better option than just the brokerage default if you don't like stocks or bonds right now.

I’m just asking about cash as a percentage of one’s portfolio. Dry powder for buying back at a future date.

About 25% of equity. Up from about 20% without touching a thing with the equities now in the correction. Plus a liquidity access line of about 75% of the cash (that isn’t available to use on security purchases).

I have way too much, and not because of a plan. I'm indeed asking if there's a better option than just the brokerage default if you don't like stocks or bonds right now.

I’d like to buy a residential lot, but real estate prices have gone insane. EVERYTHING is expensive. Cars. Trucks. Crypto actually isn’t looking so crazy.

Reactions: Go aeiou
I’d like to buy a residential lot, but real estate prices have gone insane. EVERYTHING is expensive. Cars. Trucks. Crypto actually isn’t looking so crazy.

We’ve been looking to buy a res lot also. Hesitant because I want to see if fed action pairs back the pricing a little bit. At the same time, we are buying to build, but want to get the lot we want and then wait for building costs to come down some if/when this market cools off.

We’ve been looking to buy a res lot also. Hesitant because I want to see if fed action pairs back the pricing a little bit. At the same time, we are buying to build, but want to get the lot we want and then wait for building costs to come down some if/when this market cools off.

Lots have about doubled in 2-2.5 years. Seems like they’ve gone too far too fast. However they are getting smaller, scarcer, and picked over. Half acre lakefronts in Tellico are $500k.

Apx 20% as I’ve not been adding new cash into the market for a few years due to my perception of it being overbought. As I’m recently retired I discovered the peace I had during the Covid drop a while back and decided going forward I was going to keep 3-5 years of cash needs out of equities. Makes weathering these corrections less stressful

Reactions: tbh and Vol737

Some credit unions are paying .5%. OTOH $50,000 @.5% will make you $250. in a year. What is your broker paying?

When bonds get to a decent yield you will see money move from equities and cash to bonds. A likely decline in the stock market.

Last edited:
Russia’s build up continues. US evacuating Americans this week/weekend it sounds like. Geopolitical forces likely going to push markets even lower. Could be a rough ride for a while.

Russia’s build up continues. US evacuating Americans this week/weekend it sounds like. Geopolitical forces likely going to push markets even lower. Could be a rough ride for a while.
Nothing should happen with this from US, and there is not much new happening. I have a friend from there and many Ukrainians want Russia there. Crimea? Many speak Russian. Seems like a time for Ukraine to divide.

I getting my info from my friend who still has family there.

Depending on how things play out, RSX may be an opportunity. Bought some when Russia and Georgia were in their brief war and it plummeted.

Reactions: Go aeiou and Vol737

VN Store

Back