All things STOCKS

As inflation rises, it devalues our debt. The last thing the government wants is to increase the value of our debt. They want inflation
If inflation rises, investors demand higher interest rates, which means higher interest costs. They don't want that either. It's a balancing act.

What they really want is mild to moderate inflation. They don't want high inflation, and they sure as hell don't want deflation.

Reactions: Vol8188
If you were ready to jump in, What about those 2 companies was more appealing than many of the other good companies that have experienced a significant pull back?
Nothing. BX is a well managed company, and i own a lot of their stock. BX, JNJ, TGT and COST are my largest holdings.
BA, IMO is not a well run company. I just try to buy low and sell a little higher. That requires patience with BA. It went up about $10/share after I bought today. About 5%

Interesting that you like retail in Target & Costco better than Amazon which seems to be taking over retail? Will be interesting to see where the market settles out and see where people buy things in 10 years.

Reactions: Go aeiou
I've seen the same thing.

One thing I've done for the past 15+ years or so is buy Costco stock with the annual rebate checks you get from them.

We live on the poor side of Nashville so Costco is 25 miles away. Not worth it for us.
I need to sign up for their dividend reinvestment plan, although you can't buy on dips doing that. Dividend under 1% so not a big deal.

The real question is what determines “rich” these days? During my lifetime having a $million made you rich but not anymore. How many $millions does it now take to be considered “rich”?

If you have a million dollars in worth outside of your home, you are rich in my book. You can still retire comfortably with that amount at roughly any age.

We live on the poor side of Nashville so Costco is 25 miles away. Not worth it for us.
I need to sign up for their dividend reinvestment plan, although you can't buy on dips doing that. Dividend under 1% so not a big deal.

Have always lived close to one and we went there a lot when kids were younger (buying diapers). The refund checks are pretty similar now as compared to 15 years ago but the stock price isn't.

If you have a million dollars in worth outside of your home, you are rich in my book. You can still retire comfortably with that amount at roughly any age.

In Tennessee, it's more than a million dollar net worth but less than 5 to be considered rich. In some rural communities, two million is rich but in areas of Nashville, I would say $2M isn't rich.

Reactions: Carp
In Tennessee, it's more than a million dollar net worth but less than 5 to be considered rich. In some rural communities, two million is rich but in areas of Nashville, I would say $2M isn't rich.

I guess that's true. It probably applies to anywhere in East TN though.

Maybe for one pre-Social Security person with a modest standard of living. If you follow the 4% spending rule which in these times of crazy low interest rates many of the financial advisors are saying is no longer dependable sustainable that’s only $40K annually. Property tax, health insurance, auto insurance, auto expenses, etc - $40K will run out pretty fast

VN Store

Back