All things STOCKS

I'm clueless.
If that's the way you want to invest look at sectors or groups of stocks that are somewhat depressed or at a low. OTOH, they all seem expensive to me now.
I'm likely at a different point in life than you. I mostly own blue chip stocks that are typically not as volatile and pay a dividend.
I mean, the people who have been selling the Nasdaq-100, etc. this month, where are they going to put the money?

Strange day. Semiconductors and banks down 4% while shampoo and iron ore are up 4%. Microsoft is up 3%. It makes you wonder why a company that big would need to move 3% in a single day during which the whole market is just flat.

I don't think much about "sector rotation" but I seems like I should be.

Strange day. Semiconductors and banks down 4% while shampoo and iron ore are up 4%. Microsoft is up 3%. It makes you wonder why a company that big would need to move 3% in a single day during which the whole market is just flat.

I don't think much about "sector rotation" but I seems like I should be.
MSFT could still be digesting the acquisition news from yesterday, who knows.

Reactions: DocVOLiday
The financials are in a really interesting spot. XLF is still in a clear uptrend and is at a technical level where you think buyers might show up. However 2 of the big names within this group (GS and JPM) both had strong negative reactions to earnings and the daily charts look like garbage. MS and BAC had positive reactions initially today to their earnings, but both rallies were sold into. Not really sure what to make of it.

Changing sectors, but AMZN continues to fascinate me. AMZN is a bellwether name and has gone precisely nowhere in 18 months despite a really strong bull market, particularly in tech.

Two thoughts that tempt people into taking the bait:

1. "If I learn how to do this I'll get rich."
2. "If I learn how to do this I can quit my job."

Problem is only about 5% of people who try to day-trade with technical analysis succeed over time. The other 95% lose money they could have invested for the long-term. Fortunately, I only lost about $500 before realizing how difficult it is. Some people can pull it off though. Don't know how they do it.

I retired from a small cap value institutional investment firm. 10 employees, $2.4 billion under management, two traders, one client relations, one office manager, six analyst/portfolio managers. The two traders could spot the day traders that got into stocks we were interested in and they'd play them pretty well. It was pretty easy too tell given that most companies we were interested in traded in low volumes. So we knew who the big holders were and when volume spiked with a bunch of small trades it was a pretty good indication day traders were getting active. So then it was how much carrot you wanted to dangle for a profit etc.

I retired from a small cap value institutional investment firm. 10 employees, $2.4 billion under management, two traders, one client relations, one office manager, six analyst/portfolio managers. The two traders could spot the day traders that got into stocks we were interested in and they'd play them pretty well. It was pretty easy too tell given that most companies we were interested in traded in low volumes. So we knew who the big holders were and when volume spiked with a bunch of small trades it was a pretty good indication day traders were getting active. So then it was how much carrot you wanted to dangle for a profit etc.
I will now be looking for spikes in volume with small trades as an indicator to sell lol. That's awesome though for real. Thanks for sharing.

What was the typical portfolio turnover in a year (by percent)? I'm personally a buy and hold; not active at all.

Reactions: tbh
Ecolab (ECL) has quickly fallen close to its 52 WL from near the 52 wk high. One of Bill Gates’s holdings. Probably just not growing revenues as quickly as expected with restaurants and other customers caught up in the COVID economic slow down. Certainly isn’t a work from home position and likely a strong reopening economy type of business.

VN Store

Back