Alcohol sales on Tennessee public campuses and sports venues (merged)

I want to know what sporting events have $8 beers that I keep seeing in this thread. I am accustomed to paying $14 - $18 a beer.
Haha, you go to AT&T or Oracle Park (or whatever they're called this year) too, huh? :D

edit to add: that $20 Bomber might be helpful if the Giants don't get it together this year

Reactions: NorCalVol67
Yep. Levi’s may be worse.
I miss garlic fries!
cray.gif
(note to those who've never had them: be sure that your loved one eats them too)

Reactions: NorCalVol67
Sara, there are times I really resent my fading memory capacities. However, in some dim recess of my brain, I recall reading something about pricing structure. The reason you see items priced at oh, say, $29.99 instead of an even $30.00 has something to do with how the human brain processes numeral data. If it's below the fractional number, we interpret it somehow as being cheaper. Marketers have studied human behavior for a long time so tailor their pricing based on such research. Some have gone farther. They claim to offer sales prices that are fake. Walk through stores like maybe Walmart, Kroger etc. Note the non-sales prices of items. Later, and even with holiday sales when you see yellow tags claiming the item has been marked down, recall what the non-sale price was. You may be shocked to find that often (but not always) the price wasn't reduced. But people who aren't this thrifty and cognizant of the tactic are deceived into thinking they're getting a deal. Now, I freely admit I recall nothing about why a price is a flat $18 rather than a flat $20 or even $19. The article I read was in regard to 99 cents and sometimes 98 cents tactics. But I'd wager the same principle applies.
Most fans pay $18 for a beer, the other $2 goes in the tip jar on the counter.

Reactions: Sara Clark
I suspect there's one statistic that will show up. Fewer people hauling their kids to games. As a result, fewer families and overall fans attending.

Due to whales hogging meager beach seat space, I and some others have already opted to stay home. But I was thinking, and probably would have cheated to bring granddaughters to some games so they'd have the Neyland experience. Having grown up around drunks who I credit for my never over-imbibing, bringing them is out of the question now. "But you credited the drunks!!!" Yes, they showed me what I refuse to be which is why I rarely ingest alcohol. And that's despite having an unhealthy love for lemon flavored rum cake. If left alone with one, I'd more than likely eat the whole thing. I'd get a bellyache but I wouldn't be drunk. I've never tested that premise, though.
I am living proof (pun intended) that you can get intoxicated from my bourbon balls.

Anyone else worried about what's going to happen this fall at the BYU game when their fans visit Neyland and start drinking Coke and Starbucks and get all jacked up on caffeine? It will be absolute bedlam. UT should shut down all caffeinated beverages for that game.
1553186963349.jpeg1553186982832.jpeg

No, thank you. Outrageously priced alcoholic beverages for sale at public university venues will not enhance the spectators' experience. I'd rather have comely coeds sneaking little bottles of booze in their decolletage and other inventive ways folks smuggle in their elixirs - the status quo.

No, thank you. Outrageously priced alcoholic beverages for sale at public university venues will not enhance the spectators' experience. I'd rather have comely coeds sneaking little bottles of booze in their decolletage and other inventive ways folks smuggle in their elixirs - the status quo.
Bootlegging is much more fun. Cheaper too.

Reactions: BucksnortVol
Speaking as a recovering alcoholic for 16 years, I'm not all that excited about the thought of beer sales at the stadium. It makes me sick to even smell it. If someone spills their beer on me at a game, that would be a rough night for them. I understand that this is my own personal issue and if they decide to go that route, fine. I get it. I personally wouldn't be attending another sporting event in Neyland Stadium, though. I try to stay out of situations where a ton of alcohol is involved. It is what it is. Obviously I'm in the minority, but I can't be the only one. If they were selling in the stadium 17 years ago, I can promise you, you wouldn't have even wanted to be NEAR my section. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
Why do you assume that drinking will decrease before the game? The only thing that will happen is that there will be cheap beer and drinks on the strip (in the 2 bars left) before the game to get people in the doors. The same drunk people will come through the gates just as drunk as they were. The same semi-sober people will come through the gate, the same as before. The same sober people that drink will come through the gate the same as before. The same sober non-drinking people will come through the gate the same as before. The only thing that "would" change is that the first 3 groups stand a higher chance of becoming more intoxicated that they were...legally.

Realizing this is no longer a real discussion since it won't happen soon at a F'ball game.

A revenue stream is all it is in the end. It won't be passed until they need the revenue. And this is not the same Strip as when you and I went to school there. OCI, Tap Room, Last Lap, Ivy's and most of the greek restaurants with beer are long gone. Good luck standing in those lines for a beer or two. Most of the alcohol comes in coolers or flasks and resides in the tailgating areas.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
I am living proof (pun intended) that you can get intoxicated from my bourbon balls.

Now see here 82_Vol, I want nothing to do with your dayum balls! Cotton swabbed and sterilized with Jack Daniels, Captain Morgan, Absolut, Beefeater London or anything else! The nerve!
lipssealed-skype-smiley.gif
You walked into that one, dude.
==========================================
dobre_shunka, the BYU game, liquor will be the problem. I used hang out with Mormons, or Latter Day Saints as they prefer to be called. And I can tell you they're just like other severe strictly raised folks. Meaning that more than a tiny fraction will imbibe and engage in, uh...other activities when they think they'll get away with it. Just ask Ashley Madsion, the Amish Rumspringa, or even the "caught" priests and pastors. So the BYU will have more than just Starbucks and Coca Cola. I've been around them in various situations.

Reactions: BeardedVol
Anecdotal, but I've been lucky to have been able to go to many different sporting events in my life, college and professional, across a bunch of different sports. I've seen more drunk, disorderly, and belligerent people at Neyland than any place else, and you can't buy a drop of alcohol inside the stadium.

Having alcohol for sale in the stadium at worst will have no impact, and might actually reduce at least the temptation to slam liquor/beer at the tailgate before entering, because you know you can buy more inside.

My take on this is like it was with the tobacco industry, this is just B.S. propaganda for the alcohol industry. That's my take, I didn't say it's a proven fact. But you know how it is when major money and vice is involved, especially money.

How about taking it from someone who actually works every darn home game at a venue where they serve alcohol to the general admission?

Yes, the alcohol incident rates dropped.

Reactions: VolNExile
How about taking it from someone who actually works every darn home game at a venue where they serve alcohol to the general admission?

Yes, the alcohol incident rates dropped.

How about not presuming one size fits all?

A revenue stream is all it is in the end. It won't be passed until they need the revenue. And this is not the same Strip as when you and I went to school there. OCI, Tap Room, Last Lap, Ivy's and most of the greek restaurants with beer are long gone. Good luck standing in those lines for a beer or two. Most of the alcohol comes in coolers or flasks and resides in the tailgating areas.
Sadly, you have it nailed.

Now see here 82_Vol, I want nothing to do with your dayum balls! Cotton swabbed and sterilized with Jack Daniels, Captain Morgan, Absolut, Beefeater London or anything else! The nerve!
lipssealed-skype-smiley.gif
You walked into that one, dude.
==========================================
dobre_shunka, the BYU game, liquor will be the problem. I used hang out with Mormons, or Latter Day Saints as they prefer to be called. And I can tell you they're just like other severe strictly raised folks. Meaning that more than a tiny fraction will imbibe and engage in, uh...other activities when they think they'll get away with it. Just ask Ashley Madsion, the Amish Rumspringa, or even the "caught" priests and pastors. So the BYU will have more than just Starbucks and Coca Cola. I've been around them in various situations.
1553196749680.jpeg

I'd rather have comely coeds sneaking little bottles of booze in their decolletage and other inventive ways folks smuggle in their elixirs - the status quo.

Thanks for reminding me, I need to make sure to whittle out the opening on my new prosthetic foot so the little whiskey bottles fit inside. Might be able to get a chambered cover for the shin, too, so I can hide some in there.

Good Lord, the possibilities...

Thanks for reminding me, I need to make sure to whittle out the opening on my new prosthetic foot so the little whiskey bottles fit inside. Might be able to get a chambered cover for the shin, too, so I can hide some in there.

Good Lord, the possibilities...
Damn, you could put a fifth of the good stuff in that shin!!!! Make a screw in tap for just under your knee!

So you think Vol fans would be worse than those stinking Okies?

OK, let's get back to the real issue. I believe it begins in post 170 where I stated, selling alcohol will result in fewer families hauling their kids to games. I also said that due to whales consuming the meager beach seat space I and others had already decided to stay home. But I added, otherwise, I'd probably have cheated by bringing my granddaughters to some games to experience Neyland Stadium. Somehow you twisted this into my assuming Vols fans are worse than OU. It's my money, if I opt to not attend home games, it's my choice. The kids in question are my granddaughters if I opt to not bring them to a place where drinking is happening it's my choice. And none of your dayum business. I stated I grew up with drunks which taught me what I refuse to be. That's my choice too. Guess what? It has nothing to do with Vols fans being worse than OU. Perhaps you can't understand that some people like myself, prefer to not be around alcohol consumers, as you will always get those who drink to excess. I refuse to be at such venues, especially with kids in tow. That's my decision and again none of your or anyone else's business.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83

VN Store

Back