Alcohol sales on Tennessee public campuses and sports venues (merged)

How about an drug free section and a drug acceptable section? I really like being able to take my kids and family to the games. But increasingly the atmosphere is getting more and more vile and confrontational. Selling mind altering substances will increase the negative behavior by some. Although I doubt usage would increase greatly from current levels.

What if 1/3 of the stadium was strictly (read seriously) non-narcotic, non-alcoholic, as in certain ejection / prosecution for public drunkenness or influence. While the other 2/3 of the stadium was open for drug usage in it's various forms with current controls and even sales.

Thoughts?

How about an drug free section and a drug acceptable section? I really like being able to take my kids and family to the games. But increasingly the atmosphere is getting more and more vile and confrontational. Selling mind altering substances will increase the negative behavior by some. Although I doubt usage would increase greatly from current levels.

What if 1/3 of the stadium was strictly (read seriously) non-narcotic, non-alcoholic, as in certain ejection / prosecution for public drunkenness or influence. While the other 2/3 of the stadium was open for drug usage in it's various forms with current controls and even sales.

Thoughts?

Because of course the selling of alcohol is on par with using heroin in public?

I will never understand neo-prohibitionists.

Last edited:
The SEC still bans alcohol sales for general admission I think. If someone knows differently please let me know. This still will be good revenue for concerts, etc. I am OK with it if the revenue goes to lowering the cost of tuition.

I fear we may quickly join several other Universities as one of the worst fan basis. Alcohol and sporting events don't match up unless you're at home alone. Even then, things still get broken.

I do beg to differ. They just introduced alcohol sales in Oklahoma for OSU and all sports except football at OU. OU Football will have it this coming season.

There is a notable decrease in the "get in line and hammer down five drinks" before coming in. Fans aren't any different really.

I do beg to differ. They just introduced alcohol sales in Oklahoma for OSU and all sports except football at OU. OU Football will have it this coming season.

There is a notable decrease in the "get in line and hammer down five drinks" before coming in. Fans aren't any different really.

You are correct. Ohio State saw a decrease in game day incidents after allowing alcohol sales during the game: Ohio State sees drop in gameday incidents with in-stadium alcohol sales

You are correct. Ohio State saw a decrease in game day incidents after allowing alcohol sales during the game: Ohio State sees drop in gameday incidents with in-stadium alcohol sales
If it decreases the number of alcohol-fueled incidents, I'm all for it. I've seen some very unfortunate events happen over the years because of alcohol. If people can drink and act responsibly, I'm okay with it. If they drink, and cause the fan experience for others to be detrimental, then that is wrong.

VN Store

Back