Alcohol sales on Tennessee public campuses and sports venues (merged)

I want to know what sporting events have $8 beers that I keep seeing in this thread. I am accustomed to paying $14 - $18 a beer.
I wasn't going to ask the question, but yes. Went to the taxslayer bowl a couple of years back, I think a beer was $18.

**Edit** The more I think about it, the price could have been an even $20. The price could have been higher due it being a bowl game. Maybe that's not the normal price....I was shocked.

Last edited:
Considering how Some of our games went last year....?!?!?!

REQz.gif

Last edited:
The pro stadiums I’ve been too that sell alcohol have a built in mechanism to prevent people from getting drunk. $8 per 16oz Bud Light. Even people with deep pockets slow down at that price.

I don’t remember seeing any incidents at the belk kick off game last year. That was the panther stadium and they had beers there.

Meh. Sell high priced beer during the first 3 quarters rather than have everyone binge drink before the game? Flip a dang coin. Nothing will change except revenue.
Why do you assume that drinking will decrease before the game? The only thing that will happen is that there will be cheap beer and drinks on the strip (in the 2 bars left) before the game to get people in the doors. The same drunk people will come through the gates just as drunk as they were. The same semi-sober people will come through the gate, the same as before. The same sober people that drink will come through the gate the same as before. The same sober non-drinking people will come through the gate the same as before. The only thing that "would" change is that the first 3 groups stand a higher chance of becoming more intoxicated that they were...legally.

Realizing this is no longer a real discussion since it won't happen soon at a F'ball game.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
I wasn't going to ask the question, but yes. Went to the taxslayer bowl a couple of years back, I think a beer was $18.

**Edit** The more I think about it, the price could have been an even $20. The price could have been higher due it being a bowl game. Maybe that's not the normal price....I was shocked.

Sara, there are times I really resent my fading memory capacities. However, in some dim recess of my brain, I recall reading something about pricing structure. The reason you see items priced at oh, say, $29.99 instead of an even $30.00 has something to do with how the human brain processes numeral data. If it's below the fractional number, we interpret it somehow as being cheaper. Marketers have studied human behavior for a long time so tailor their pricing based on such research. Some have gone farther. They claim to offer sales prices that are fake. Walk through stores like maybe Walmart, Kroger etc. Note the non-sales prices of items. Later, and even with holiday sales when you see yellow tags claiming the item has been marked down, recall what the non-sale price was. You may be shocked to find that often (but not always) the price wasn't reduced. But people who aren't this thrifty and cognizant of the tactic are deceived into thinking they're getting a deal. Now, I freely admit I recall nothing about why a price is a flat $18 rather than a flat $20 or even $19. The article I read was in regard to 99 cents and sometimes 98 cents tactics. But I'd wager the same principle applies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sara Clark
Well in fairness, you’d have to be drunk out of your mind to enjoy Kenny Chesney.
Haha but you’re missing the point! He’s now in year two on his HUGE tour, and again no Knoxville stop! I think it’s greedy, and disrespectful! Doesn’t he have enough money already? I’m sure there are many other entertainers doing the same thing, skipping their hometowns and other places because of alcohol/concessions sales splits.

What exactly are you basing this statement on besides your anecdotal experiences?

"administrators can use this study’s findings to aid their decision to sell alcohol off of the suggested evidence that on a national scale criminal offenses, alcohol related incidents, and instadium offenses do not increase after alcohol sales are implemented at on-campus football stadiums."

TO SERVE AND PROTECT: DOES SELLING ALCOHOL AT INTERCOLLEGIATE FOOTBALL STADIUMS EQUATE TO HIGHER CRIMINAL ACTIVITY?, A thesis submitted to the faculty of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Masters of Arts in the Department of Exercise and Sport Science (Sport Administration). Archer T. Bane IV

Just to play the devils advocate, if you were an administrator who stood to rake in millions to your university from selling a product, wouldn’t you promote studies and surveys that showed the product in a positive light? Honestly I don’t think it will make much of a difference either way. You will still have people who binge drink before they come in the gate, adding a couple of $8 beers to the mix won’t make them any worse than they already are.

“Alcohol is the ruination of the world and I’d damn sure like to have a drink right now”-Bobby Alexander

Just to play the devils advocate, if you were an administrator who stood to rake in millions to your university from selling a product, wouldn’t you promote studies and surveys that showed the product in a positive light? Honestly I don’t think it will make much of a difference either way. You will still have people who binge drink before they come in the gate, adding a couple of $8 beers to the mix won’t make them any worse than they already are.

I suspect there's one statistic that will show up. Fewer people hauling their kids to games. As a result, fewer families and overall fans attending.

Due to whales hogging meager beach seat space, I and some others have already opted to stay home. But I was thinking, and probably would have cheated to bring granddaughters to some games so they'd have the Neyland experience. Having grown up around drunks who I credit for my never over-imbibing, bringing them is out of the question now. "But you credited the drunks!!!" Yes, they showed me what I refuse to be which is why I rarely ingest alcohol. And that's despite having an unhealthy love for lemon flavored rum cake. If left alone with one, I'd more than likely eat the whole thing. I'd get a bellyache but I wouldn't be drunk. I've never tested that premise, though.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83

The document that I linked, was not a school-administration-sponsored study designed to sell people on the idea of allowing beer to be sold at stadiums., but a graduate thesis by a student, and the extensive list of sources are available at the end of the document if you doubt the veracity of the paper's conclusion. Besides that, he selling of alcohol in the stadium isn't just some consequence-less money printing press for the University. Doing so opens them up to greater liability as a public venue, forcing increased security, and every single concessions worker who pours a beer will have to be TiPS trained, and the individual concession workers are then open to increased liability if they over-serve someone alcohol.

There will always be people who over-consume alcohol before the game for the sole purpose of being hammered before they sit down, that's already happening without the selling of beer in the stadium, and as has been seen at other schools, doesn't increase once beer is sold in the stadium; your fear of it happening, as of yet, is not supported by reality. There are plenty of schools who have been selling beer in their stadiums for years, without this 'boogeyman' uptick in drunken behavior that people trot out as the sole reason they oppose beer sales in college stadiums.

VN Store

Back