Alabama game uniform discussion (merged)

All of this uniform thing confirms is that Mal Moore is one of the biggest stooges of all time. Total freakin' buffoon.

ut-orange-ua-crimson.jpg

If this is the classic SI image everyone refers to when talking about the tradition, I could understand how the request was poorly received by Bama. :)

I'm not up to date on this 15-yard penalty. Does it simply move us back 15 yards from where we kick the ball? If so, then wear the orange jersey (if that's truly important), move the kicking tee back 15 yards, and then kick it out of bounds. We'd be hard pressed to stop the return by kicking any deeper any way.

But more importantly, I think it matters not what color of uniform we wear. What will win the game is excellent, mistake free play on offense, defense and ST. It will take more than controversy over uniforms to rattle Bama - only by executing an effective game plan by making plays and shutting down their running, passing and kicking games will we have an edge in winning this game; provided of course we can put points on the board.

Saban says don't blame jersey-gate on him

October 22, 2009 3:30 PM
By ESPN.com's Chris Low

Alabama coach Nick Saban says he’s not the one who nixed Tennessee’s request to wear orange jerseys on Saturday at Bryant-Denny Stadium.

The Vols had requested to do so and in turn allow the Crimson Tide to wear their crimson jerseys in Knoxville next season.

Saban was consulted about the issue by Alabama athletic director Mal Moore. But, then, there’s not anything remotely involving that football program that Saban’s not consulted about.

But he said it was Moore’s call to shoot down Tennessee’s request and joked that he’s not real hip on fashion -- period.

“I know some guys go places and they have gold jerseys or the team has always worn white or whatever and they change this and that,” Saban said. “I'm not into that. Maybe I ought to be, but I'm not. Terry [Saban’s wife] picks out my clothes. I can't go shopping. I don't like to shop. I don't buy anything for myself. Maybe that's part of it."

For what it's worth, every group of fans has some degree of fascination with uniforms, but nowhere is it more prevalent than at Tennessee.

Every year, there’s chatter about whether the Vols are going to wear their orange pants on the road, whether they might wear all orange at home or whether there’s going to be stripes on the pants.

The latest obsession is with black jerseys. I still say there would be some fans falling out of the upper deck in the south end zone at Neyland Stadium if the Vols were to break out black jerseys for a game.

Of course, the word is that first-year coach Lane Kiffin isn’t a huge fan of the color orange.

So who knows?

Last edited:
Chris Low needs to do more reporting and less reading of message boards.

"There's chatter about...."

"The latest obsession is....."

"The word is....."

That's inexcusably sloppy for a guy who's supposed to be a journalist. Even for a so-called blog entry.

Chris Low needs to do more reporting and less reading of message boards.

"There's chatter about...."

"The latest obsession is....."

"The word is....."

That's inexcusably sloppy for a guy who's supposed to be a journalist. Even for a so-called blog entry.

He's probably basing those remarks on what he's seen on VolNation. He's probably as amazed as I am that VN has a two year, nearly 5,000 post thread about uniform colors and design that rarely leaves the front page of the forum for very long. He's probably also as amazed as I am at all of the threads and posts griping about Mal Moore denying Mike Hamilton's request for UT to wear its home jersey's on Bama's home field.

He's probably basing those remarks on what he's seen on VolNation. He's probably as amazed as I am that VN has a two year, nearly 5,000 post thread about uniform colors and design that rarely leaves the front page of the forum for very long. He's probably also as amazed as I am at all of the threads and posts griping about Mal Moore denying Mike Hamilton's request for UT to wear its home jersey's on Bama's home field.

to be fair the fashion thread is probably the biggest combo of separate threads on this board

the number of trolls visiting this joint would probably floor him.

Tennessee orange is a, uh, unique color for a sports team. This leads to a wide variety of opinions on exactly how much orange is too much before you reach sensory overload and everybody's heads explode. Which leads to an inordinate amount of discussion about the uniforms.

I will grant that it is annoying to talk about so much, but I think I'd rather have that problem than have the exact same colors as two other teams in my own division.

the number of trolls visiting this joint would probably floor him.
Maybe, though I don't think there are that many trolls on VolNation. Am I a troll because I like to talk football -- even with rival fans? I don't come on here posting insulting or boastful banter. I think I behave pretty respectfully of the Vols and VolNation when I'm here. One of the things I like about Volnation is that you guys run most of the true "trolls" off.

Maybe, though I don't think there are that many trolls on VolNation. Am I a troll because I like to talk football -- even with rival fans? I don't come on here posting insulting or boastful banter. I think I behave pretty respectfully of the Vols and VolNation when I'm here. One of the things I like about Volnation is that you guys run most of the true "trolls" off.
you ever heard PigPen talk?

Gotcha. Nope haven't seen or read any Peanuts stuff in decades, and I do not recall if or how PigPen talks. Seems like I remember the school teacher on the Peanuts TV specials sort of "talked" liked that. Just noise almost like a muffled trumpet or something. Sort of like "mwamp, mwamp, mwamp..."

Was the question about PigPen leading to some point?

Gotcha. Nope haven't seen or read any Peanuts stuff in decades, and I do not recall if or how PigPen talks. Seems like I remember the school teacher on the CB TV specials sort of "talked" liked that. Just noise almost like a muffled trumpet or something. Sort of like "mwamp, mwamp, mwamp..."

Was the question about PigPen leading to some point?
maybe it was the teacher.

The point was a joke, saying that's what I heard in all your 'splaining.

maybe it was the teacher.

The point was a joke, saying that's what I heard in all your 'splaining.

Gothcha. Not bad.

I figured that's what you meant.

I suppose we all tend to filter to some extent. Some of us "filter" out other opinions as having little or no value if we do not agree with them. I try not to do that, but I don't always succeed. I also try to filter out (ignore) insults or at least not retaliate.

I like having reasonable fans of other teams visit the Bama board I hang out on, but I agree that the insult spewing "troll" types that come there do tend to just sound like the Peanuts school teacher.

Last edited:
Kiffin needs to send the boys out for warmups in their white jerseys...

After warmups, he surprises the team with their ORANGE jerseys in the locker room... The team gets fired up, ready to fight hard enough that the 15 yard penalties don't matter!

The team comes running out onto the field, and the Bama fans, players and TV anouncers are all perplexed... The TENNESSEE players and fans go CRAZY!

Do it, Lane!

BTW, the Gators have done this "uniform switch" between warmups and kickoff a few times, and the players and fans eat it up!

BTW, the Gators have done this "uniform switch" between warmups and kickoff a few times, and the players and fans eat it up!

And so can I assume that your point is if it's good enough for the Gators, then it is good enough for the Vols?

If we want to mirror the Gators, I suggest we do it with our recruiting, our coaching and our play on the field, not in our selection of when to wear what uniforms.

I'd much rather win the game than come out in orange jerseys.

You don't give the #1 (or #2) ranked team 15 automatic yards against your weakest unit (special teams).

I think we'll see white jerseys and orange pants....

What's the penalty for wearing no pants? I say we come out of the tunnel and show Bama what we got.

Tennessee orange is a, uh, unique color for a sports team. This leads to a wide variety of opinions on exactly how much orange is too much before you reach sensory overload and everybody's heads explode. Which leads to an inordinate amount of discussion about the uniforms.

I will grant that it is annoying to talk about so much, I think I'd rather have that problem than have the exact same colors as two other teams in my own division.
I do understand what your sayin' about the thread merging thing. And I was not trying to be insulting about there being so much discussion or trying to make fun of that. Honestly I was truly just amazed by it. I guess it's because every once in a while on the TideSports forum someone will post a thread suggesting some kind of uni change they'd like to see. The OP and anyone who agrees with him gets flamed BIG TIME. The overwhelming majority of Bama fans want absolutely no changes to the uniforms, ever. So those threads die fairly quickly. Plus, I'm a traditionalist all the way when it comes to football unis For example, some of my favorite unis are Bama (of course), Tennessee, Notre Dame, Washington, Oklahoma, Texas and FSU. IMO, alot of the teams that have screwed around with their unis have messed them up rather than improved them. One look I definitely don't like is jerseys and pants being the same color, except for white road jerseys with white pants. Of course, I realize those are my opinions and different folks have different tastes.

As far as your remarks about Bama's unis, I've seen that stated on VN before, but it's really not true, especially when the word "exact" is included. Arky's deep red is very similar to Bama's Crimson, but Bama's is deeper and darker than Arky's, which is more of what I would call candy apple red. However, I admit Arky's old uniforms looked pretty dang similar to Bama's. However, Mississippi State's dark maroon color is not even close to Bama's crimson. It's not any closer to Bama's crimson than Texas' burnt orange or Clemson's bright orange are to Tennessee's light orange. I must admit that Oklahoma's crimson on their jerseys does look exactly the same to me as Bama's. However, Oklahoma's helmet color is different than Bama's and the stripes on their pants are much broader than the skinny ones on Bama's uni pants.

Tennessee's shade of orange (home jersey shade) is definitely unique, which is certainly cool. I do think UT's unis would look even cooler if the more normal shade of the orange stripe and power T on the helmet and the stripes on the pants were closer to the unique lighter shade of the jerseys. There's just a little bit too much clashing going on there, IMO. I really like UT's traditional orange jerseys with the white pants and white jerseys with white pants. Both of those are great looks, but I personally don't care for the orange pants at all -- with either the orange or white jerseys. I also liked the older style white road jerseys that did not have the black bordering around the numbers. Like I said, I'm a traditionalist for the most part when it comes to football uniforms.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back