Al Washington (Potential DC)

Washington is gone. The offer to the KSU coach as a DC is more proof. And after he turns us down we will have to go down to division 2 or 3 to find some out of the way no name who has a good career beating up on teams like Mississippi Valley State Authority college for the blind.

Well if they were playing with blind kids just imagine how he can coach up kids who can see. I’m starting to really like this hire!

Washington is gone. The offer to the KSU coach as a DC is more proof. And after he turns us down we will have to go down to division 2 or 3 to find some out of the way no name who has a good career beating up on teams like Mississippi Valley State Authority college for the blind.
I heard MVSA runs an aggressive D almost as if they hear the ball before it is snapped.

Giving a damn what a Buckeye fan thinks is right below volunteering for medical probe during an alien invasion of interest to me. I guarantee you they think we're inbred rednecks no matter if we're arguing the merits of Immanuel Kant's philosophy.
No to be fair, the poster said that for the most part our board was respectful, simply referring to the guys that were bringing up the race cards.

Well if they were playing with blind kids just imagine how he can coach up kids who can see. I’m starting to really like this hire!
Not sure why JH doesn’t come to this site for a DC. It is clear that many on hear seem to think they know more than he does about hiring a quality coach. Not referring to you, rather those complaining about how some of those mentioned for the job sucks and shouldn’t be offered.

It's true Steele didn't get the boot. People here have bitched about "why pay Steele off?" while Chaney walked off with double that and not a word. 🤷‍♂️

I suppose Steele is older and surely realizes he's not going to be a "hot item" in the SEC, at least. He seems to be recruiting, keeping his head down, and, as you said, being a good soldier. At this point, he's an asset until he proves otherwise.

I suppose I'm overly suspicious of anything related to Fulmer, at this point, but you're right..... Steele took the job and has done the job so I'll ease up.

Not trying to make a saint out of him, and he is doing what is in his best interest as well. They can coincide. My guess is CPF's departure was news to him and he has had to adjust his own game plan and professional pride plus posturing for the next opportunity will rule the day. That could be he works a year or it could end tomorrow, whenever he needs to walk out on the high road. His opportunities to audition here changed with the new regime, but he has not mislead anyone at UT. I am wondering if he might be on hold to see if he ends up being the one VFL type on staff in some mutually agreeable position in exchange for flexibility on his end of the contract. Will probably depend on the new DC and their relationship potentials.

I don't see that it makes any difference. If you think he might not be worth what you're willing to pay for the position, why even talk to him. I mean, if he might suck is it okay and make you feel better that they saved a few bucks?

How much they spend on who is none of my concern. Zero. If the Coach wants a guy, I couldn't care less how much he pays him. Just be successful.

That's jmo.

I don't see that it makes any difference. If you think he might not be worth what you're willing to pay for the position, why even talk to him. I mean, if he might suck is it okay and make you feel better that they saved a few bucks?

How much they spend on who is none of my concern. Zero. If the Coach wants a guy, I couldn't care less how much he pays him. Just be successful.

That's jmo.
It's not so much the money as it is the gamble. If we are willing to pay 1.5 mill, let's go get a proven commodity at a group of 5 school. I'd rather roll the dice with someone with actual DC experience than bring in a first timer. You do that kind of thing when you're looking to hire on the cheap.

It's not so much the money as it is the gamble. If we are willing to pay 1.5 mill, let's go get a proven commodity at a group of 5 school. I'd rather roll the dice with someone with actual DC experience than bring in a first timer. You do that kind of thing when you're looking to hire on the cheap.
Can someone at a Group of 5 school recruit at a high level? Pros and cons on both ends.

Why?! I’d love to take this guy who I think will be a star dc! He took a horrible lb group and the first year he got there made them the scariest part of the defense. He’s proven he can develop players fast! On top of that he’s not in the top 5, but is the #1 recruiter in the entire nation.
Develop? This guy was handed the keys to a Ferrari and told, just don’t wreck it. In 2013-2015 he was coaching RBs. 247 didn’t even have him as the best recruiter on his team.

Sorry, but this guy has bounced around and has only been at OSU two years. Not sure how you can tell who he’s developed.

Maybe I'm wrong but seems we've done that.

I just remember seeing a few, and I can name them, making a deal about paying Pruitt $4 million as an unproven HC. Now he's gone and I've seen no one say they would have been okay with him failing if we'd been paying him $3 million less. He failed is all that matters.

Anyway, it doesn't seem to matter if we offer an unproven DC 1.5 million or not.

Reactions: VolNExile
Is it possible that no proven commodity wants the job. We have to stop assuming that just because we have not heard anything, that JH has not been in contact with many quality DC but none wanted the job. DW and JH have ran a tight lipped search thus far. Sometimes you do in fact have to keep going down the list until someone bites. With the current state of our program, money is going to have to be used to lure someone here. Sucks but it’s the fact.

Not sure why JH doesn’t come to this site for a DC. It is clear that many on hear seem to think they know more than he does about hiring a quality coach. Not referring to you, rather those complaining about how some of those mentioned for the job sucks and shouldn’t be offered.

I actually agree 100%. I was joking about coaching blind kids... but the joke was more that I’m the optimist fan who will find the good in whoever he hires. That good will for me usually lasts about 2 seasons. Then it’s what I actually see on the field. Go Vols!!!!

Reactions: TnAngler
Is it possible that no proven commodity wants the job. We have to stop assuming that just because we have not heard anything, that JH has not been in contact with many quality DC but none wanted the job. DW and JH have ran a tight lipped search thus far. Sometimes you do in fact have to keep going down the list until someone bites. With the current state of our program, money is going to have to be used to lure someone here. Sucks but it’s the fact.
I refuse to believe that ALL DC's in college football aren't interested. Especially with what we are offering. The trick is finding someone who's interested AND is a good fit for what Huepel wants in a DC. It has to be a good fit for all parties involved. I guarantee you Huepel can pick up the phone and call any group of 5 DC making 300,000.00 a year, offer 1.5 mill and they'd be here in a micro second.

I refuse to believe that ALL DC's in college football aren't interested. Especially with what we are offering. The trick is finding someone who's interested AND is a good fit for what Huepel wants in a DC. It has to be a good fit for all parties involved. I guarantee you Huepel can pick up the phone and call any group of 5 DC making 300,000.00 a year, offer 1.5 mill and they'd be here in a micro second.
Good thoughts. I have been leaning towards finding an up and comer in the G5 schools that had an above average defense and the offense was a similar style to what we have. I think I would rather that over reaching on no experience and mediocre P5 DCs.

Reactions: Plecoptera

VN Store

Back