Al Washington (Potential DC)

Three years out, I think the ceiling increases to 10-11 if we can get a decent defense installed. We will be scoring points.

Three years out we are likely coming off a bowl ban and scholarship reductions. We will be at our weakest point from a roster perspective.

Reactions: Carp
The coaching tree has been bare since Majors left
It might surprise you to discover that no less than five Fulmer assistants have since become college head coaches. That's not even mentioning the long-term successful coordinators like John Chavis.

Heck, even Butch Jones and Lane Kiffin have led assistant coaches at Tennessee who went on to head coaching gigs in the college ranks.

Not as bare as we might initially think.

Reactions: BondJamesBond
Three years out, I think the ceiling increases to 10-11 if we can get a decent defense installed. We will be scoring points.

Gonna have to do well in recruiting in order to do that. I don't think the sanctions are gonna allow us to do that.

Naah, don't believe that. Danny White is one of the top 5 ranked AD's in the country and he was hired very quickly. They may have had brief conversations with others but Danny White was #1 choice from the jump.
1613061079300.gif

Reactions: miket4god
Why would he come here? He's in one of the best career situations in his life. This isn't a dream job for anyone of note right now.

Some men like having a challenge in their day to day lives. Maybe he's okay with getting a Superbowl Ring and now he wants to move on to the next challenge.

We won't know until he either tells us yes or know.

Washington didn’t have the balls for a big time job. That’s okay. On to the next.

He has a big-time job....... Players love him and it's easy to recruit 5* to Columbus, which he has 3 already in the 2022 class. He will be getting the title of defensive run game coordinator but still less than a million a year, by most accounts.

He has a big-time job....... Players love him and it's easy to recruit 5* to Columbus, which he has 3 already in the 2022 class. He will be getting the title of defensive run game coordinator but still less than a million a year, by most accounts.

I'd be willing to bet he doesn't end up being the actual DC at tOSU, and has to go elsewhere eventually to get the shot at being one.

He gave up a lot of bargaining power by staying and settling for less.

Three years out we are likely coming off a bowl ban and scholarship reductions. We will be at our weakest point from a roster perspective.

With the transfer portal, rosters can be rebuilt much differently that they used to be after scholarship limitations. No we won’t be realistically expecting to win the SEC immediately after sanctions are done, but won’t take years either.

With the transfer portal, rosters can be rebuilt much differently that they used to be after scholarship limitations. No we won’t be realistically expecting to win the SEC immediately after sanctions are done, but won’t take years either.
I honestly don’t see us having very heavy handed sanctions. We just fired everyone involved, likely all the players are at other teams, and we we aggressive in our approach.
Roster issues are transfer portal, but we also can build from the portal. We need 3-4 more players on D, especially DBs. I think you will see multiple DL wanting to come here if Rogers was hired.

I don't see it that way at all. With the portal, your roster can get be decimated very quickly, but you can only rebuild 25 players per year. Plus, the good portal players are looking to land with a top team that wins games and can go to bowls, etc. A team on sanctions is not going to be strong in the portal.

I don't see it that way at all. With the portal, your roster can get be decimated very quickly, but you can only rebuild 25 players per year. Plus, the good portal players are looking to land with a top team that wins games and can go to bowls, etc. A team on sanctions is not going to be strong in the portal.
Gotta fit into the destination team’s 25 man class. A problem for every program except Bama. 😏

Time to let this thread go, and move on to the next reasonable candidate.

Adios, Al. Enjoy getting your ass handed to you by Bama for the next few years. Well, assuming you get past PSU, Michigan, whoever shows up from the West, and then Clemson or Notre Dame. It's a tough slate, but still easier than what you would have faced at UT. We get it. You chose wisely.

In all honesty, I'm hoping we get a "hair on fire" DC from the G5 or even FCS level who runs a disruptive scheme and would love nothing more than to get inside the heads of Mullen, Smart, and eventually Saban, and play handball.

Meanwhile, back at the Ranch.

Go Vols.

Reactions: Cobb-Webb 1989
Time to let this thread go, and move on to the next reasonable candidate.

Adios, Al. Enjoy getting your ass handed to you by Bama for the next few years. Well, assuming you get past PSU, Michigan, whoever shows up from the West, and then Clemson or Notre Dame. It's a tough slate, but still easier than what you would have faced at UT. We get it. You chose wisely.

In all honesty, I'm hoping we get a "hair on fire" DC from the G5 or even FCS level who runs a disruptive scheme and would love nothing more than to get inside the heads of Mullen, Smart, and eventually Saban, and play handball.

Meanwhile, back at the Ranch.

Go Vols.

Well, at least they get to the CFP just about every year, and I suspect they probably will for the next decade or so with the way Ryan Day and his staff recruit and develop. Washington, with that kind of a resume, can pick just about any job he wants, either as a DC or HC, instead of a tire fire like this, with sanctions coming. I guess 800-900K a year is enough to live on until the prime opportunity presents itself.....

Well, at least they get to the CFP just about every year, and I suspect they probably will for the next decade or so with the way Ryan Day and his staff recruit and develop. Washington, with that kind of a resume, can pick just about any job he wants, either as a DC or HC, instead of a tire fire like this, with sanctions coming. I guess 800-900K a year is enough to live on until the prime opportunity presents itself.....

Can you remind me of their record against the SEC in the CFP playoff?

He’s a great coach at a great program. No one can blame him for staying in his comfort zone, and where his chances to win sooner rather than later are much better there.

VN Store

Back