Al Washington (Potential DC)

If Washington turns down the offer it is obviously from the NCAA issues and the negative picture painted by Day and his staff regarding the program. If it is this hard to hire a DC for a seven figure salary position, just imagine the small amount of negative recruiting that would be required to talk a HS recruit into not signing with Tennessee.

This is all brought on from the leak of the NCAA issues to the media and our inept response to it once leaked.

I refuse to believe that ALL DC's in college football aren't interested. Especially with what we are offering. The trick is finding someone who's interested AND is a good fit for what Huepel wants in a DC. It has to be a good fit for all parties involved. I guarantee you Huepel can pick up the phone and call any group of 5 DC making 300,000.00 a year, offer 1.5 mill and they'd be here in a micro second.
Again, that is your opinion as an outsider. I would be willing to bet that there are many DC’s that would not touch this job for the amount to offered due to UT’s current situation. Not everyone can be influenced by money, luckily some still do this for more than just large pay days.

Reactions: orange blossom
Is it possible that no proven commodity wants the job. We have to stop assuming that just because we have not heard anything, that JH has not been in contact with many quality DC but none wanted the job. DW and JH have ran a tight lipped search thus far. Sometimes you do in fact have to keep going down the list until someone bites. With the current state of our program, money is going to have to be used to lure someone here. Sucks but it’s the fact.
This is likely exactly what is happening sadly. The coaching community, like most professions, is like a fraternity. There is no telling what kind of crap is circulating from the Pruitt camp, couple that with the pending sanctions and the perception that there are at least 3 near certain losses on the schedule for the foreseeable future and the job just isn't attractive right now versus where it should be considering our historic place in the pecking order.

Last edited:
Reactions: TnAngler
because he’s been a coach a total of two years. Seriously
No worse than offering it to Washington. In all the years he has spent at the New England playing plus the 2 years of coaching I would bet he understands defense as much as Washington.

If you are going to offer 1.5 million a year to a position coach to be your DC why would you not offer it to Mayo.
I think Kacy Roger's makes a ton of sense.

1. Hes a VFL
2. He has 4 years of DC experience in the NFL
3. He just won a superbowl by coaching a D-Line that completely dominated one of the most prolific offenses in the NFL.

Not sure why JH doesn’t come to this site for a DC. It is clear that many on hear seem to think they know more than he does about hiring a quality coach. Not referring to you, rather those complaining about how some of those mentioned for the job sucks and shouldn’t be offered.
We have come up with several good names including the UAB DC at the top of the list. They should listen a little bit, they might learn something. .

Reactions: Brave Volunteer
It's not so much the money as it is the gamble. If we are willing to pay 1.5 mill, let's go get a proven commodity at a group of 5 school. I'd rather roll the dice with someone with actual DC experience than bring in a first timer. You do that kind of thing when you're looking to hire on the cheap.
Are they hiring "on the cheap" or are they overpaying? Seems people are criticizing UT for both, even within the same post.

Reactions: kcvols1
Are they hiring "on the cheap" or are they overpaying? Seems people are criticizing UT for both, even within the same post.
That's because no one knows with any certainty what is actually going on. There is a ton of info flying around and none of it is coming from creditable sources, mere speculation and it's driving people crazy.

Reactions: jacvols and kcvols1
If Washington turns down the offer it is obviously from the NCAA issues and the negative picture painted by Day and his staff regarding the program. If it is this hard to hire a DC for a seven figure salary position, just imagine the small amount of negative recruiting that would be required to talk a HS recruit into not signing with Tennessee.

This is all brought on from the leak of the NCAA issues to the media and our inept response to it once leaked.
And the Schiano debacle since it's Ohio State.

How was it inept? The UT response has been to manage the investigation and do damage control to protect the University and the Athletic program. So far, they seem to be accomplishing that. The big risk to the program is NCAA sanctions, not how much we pay whom to be a DC.

Reactions: Mightyvol
That's because no one knows with any certainty what is actually going on. There is a ton of info flying around and none of it is coming from creditable sources, mere speculation and it's driving people crazy.
Agreed. I guess when one doesn't know what is going on it is better to criticize them for everything possible rather than wait and see what happens before forming an opinion.

Reactions: kcvols1
I think Kacy Roger's makes a ton of sense.

1. Hes a VFL
2. He has 4 years of DC experience in the NFL
3. He just won a superbowl by coaching a D-Line that completely dominated one of the most prolific offenses in the NFL.
Yep.......

Hey Kacy, I'll take the keys to your new Cadillac and give you the keys to a brand new Ford Fusion. :confused:

I like the idea, though

Yep.......

Hey Kacy, I'll take the keys to your new Cadillac and give you the keys to a brand new Ford Fusion. :confused:

I like the idea, though

Eh, in this case it’s like saying “Hey Casey, I’ll take you out of the passenger seat of your new Cadillac and give you the keys to a brand new Ford a fusion.”

Eh, in this case it’s like saying “Hey Casey, I’ll take you out of the passenger seat of your new Cadillac and give you the keys to a brand new Ford a fusion.”
fair enough..........but it might be a used Yugo instead of a new Fusion;)

Reactions: VFLCodyGBO
How was it inept? The UT response has been to manage the investigation and do damage control to protect the University and the Athletic program. So far, they seem to be accomplishing that. The big risk to the program is NCAA sanctions, not how much we pay whom to be a DC.

Once the "media dude" with a twitter handle came out with the leak, UT should have responded that we have a Compliance Department that handles any issues with the NCAA and we do not comment on any potential or current investigations until they are completed internally. That way we don't have message boards and competing programs frame it up mentioning "50 NCAA Level 1 violations" and McDonalds bags. That way we would then control the narrative and be in a better position to hire coaches.

Develop? This guy was handed the keys to a Ferrari and told, just don’t wreck it. In 2013-2015 he was coaching RBs. 247 didn’t even have him as the best recruiter on his team.

Sorry, but this guy has bounced around and has only been at OSU two years. Not sure how you can tell who he’s developed.
It’s pretty obvious, look at the lbs before he was there, then compare that to the years he was there. I dont Care if it’s only 6 games he’s been there. Huge difference with the lbs once he arrived.

Once the "media dude" with a twitter handle came out with the leak, UT should have responded that we have a Compliance Department that handles any issues with the NCAA and we do not comment on any potential or current investigations until they are completed internally. That way we don't have message boards and competing programs frame it up mentioning "50 NCAA Level 1 violations" and McDonalds bags. That way we would then control the narrative and be in a better position to hire coaches.

So maybe DWs paranoia about leaks makes sense. To my knowledge UTAD made no formal statements about McDonalds bags of money, but that ended up being the narrative. The narrative goes forward based on clicks more than facts.

Doesn’t matter, the UTAD would have been continuously hounded until responded to. They got out in front of the issue and NCAA sanctions we’re going to be used against UT regardless. We have a very good AD and HC and with time, I think they prove this. JMO.

No offense taken. I work in TV news in Columbus and my sports chief is pretty plugged in (he's been in this market since the mid-90s). He says besides the money, Danny White is a draw. My take-away from him is that the feeling in the OSU AD is that White is "no joke" and the days of boosters running the show in Knoxville are over.
I really like the sound of that !!!!

Reactions: Volfan1000

VN Store

Back