Al Washington (Potential DC)

Have we ever had a coach actually take the job when he had to think about it for a while?

He definitely got passed over at Auburn. Whether he knifed Malzahn or not is debatable, but there's no question he got shoved out after thinking he was the front-runner to replace
He had the interim HC seat at UT, granted for just a few days, but he was hired during a hiring freeze most likely to step in after Pruitt left. Why else? Phil got canned with Pruitt and Heupel was hired over Steele.

Again, were Washington or another DC recruited over him, Steele will have been been passed over for a third time. It would sting. Just the fact they're actively and publicly, even desperately, trying to recruit over him must sting.

Put yourself in his shoes. From a HIGHLY paid DC in the SEC to....... can't get the HC OR DC at his alma mater. Ouch.

I would have to think he has reached the conclusion that he is not on any P5 teams A list. He will not be the last guy to really want a HC job to come up short. I do think he accepted his current contract with hopes he could elevate to DC or HC when the other shoe fell, but believe he knows he has to serve in the capacity he signed for or take a hit in his search for higher positions after this year. He should take some pride however in being mentioned at AU and UT, even in an emergency roll. He is most probably not going to get more than the AU money for two years so why not be a good soldier at your alma mater till time is up or you get an offer that makes more sense and money? I am confused with what CJH is thinking. He did not get the Tee and Chaney treatment. Maybe because he has not pegged any defensive guys yet. But he might be hoping that whoever he tabs as DC would LIKE to retain him. He could be a valuable asset and assist a greener DC in lots of areas.

Hopefully we know by tomorrow. The fact that he didn’t automatically take the offer worries me. I’d still love to have him even if he’s hesitant. He will fall in love with Knoxville! (Especially if we’re winning and the fans support him)

Hopefully we know by tomorrow. The fact that he didn’t automatically take the offer worries me. I’d still love to have him even if he’s hesitant. He will fall in love with Knoxville! (Especially if we’re winning and the fans support him)
If they hired an accomplished DC from Division II I’d be happier.

AW's daddy is a former tOSU player, and is living vicariously through his son. AW is apparently taking stock in what his dad wants for him instead of making his own choice.
The dad should realize that this is a major step for his son. Family should come before Alma-mater. At least that’s how we role in the South.

Reactions: PA Vol
I would have to think he has reached the conclusion that he is not on any P5 teams A list. He will not be the last guy to really want a HC job to come up short. I do think he accepted his current contract with hopes he could elevate to DC or HC when the other shoe fell, but believe he knows he has to serve in the capacity he signed for or take a hit in his search for higher positions after this year. He should take some pride however in being mentioned at AU and UT, even in an emergency roll. He is most probably not going to get more than the AU money for two years so why not be a good soldier at your alma mater till time is up or you get an offer that makes more sense and money? I am confused with what CJH is thinking. He did not get the Tee and Chaney treatment. Maybe because he has not pegged any defensive guys yet. But he might be hoping that whoever he tabs as DC would LIKE to retain him. He could be a valuable asset and assist a greener DC in lots of areas.
It's true Steele didn't get the boot. People here have bitched about "why pay Steele off?" while Chaney walked off with double that and not a word. 🤷‍♂️

I suppose Steele is older and surely realizes he's not going to be a "hot item" in the SEC, at least. He seems to be recruiting, keeping his head down, and, as you said, being a good soldier. At this point, he's an asset until he proves otherwise.

I suppose I'm overly suspicious of anything related to Fulmer, at this point, but you're right..... Steele took the job and has done the job so I'll ease up.

Reactions: Cobb-Webb 1989
A post on Buckeye Planet is saying that Al Washington’s wife is an Alum of OSU but from Tennessee. If this is true and she is from Tennessee, could help us. Maybe she wants to come home. Not saying this is true, simply just read it on their message board. Additionally, we are getting roasted over those earlier posts arguing race. We do e on hear post ignorant comments, makes us all look dumb and racist. Thanks to the administrator for removing the comments.

A post on Buckeye Planet is saying that Al Washington’s wife is an Alum of OSU but from Tennessee. If this is true and she is from Tennessee, could help us. Maybe she wants to come home. Not saying this is true, simply just read it on their message board. Additionally, we are getting roasted over those earlier posts arguing race. We do e on hear post ignorant comments, makes us all look dumb and racist. Thanks to the administrator for removing the comments.
True, but they’re just in a different thread.

Giving a damn what a Buckeye fan thinks is right below volunteering for medical probe during an alien invasion of interest to me. I guarantee you they think we're inbred rednecks no matter if we're arguing the merits of Immanuel Kant's philosophy.

If they hired an accomplished DC from Division II I’d be happier.
Why?! I’d love to take this guy who I think will be a star dc! He took a horrible lb group and the first year he got there made them the scariest part of the defense. He’s proven he can develop players fast! On top of that he’s not in the top 5, but is the #1 recruiter in the entire nation.

I don’t think this guy truly knows one way or the other.

Washington is gone. The offer to the KSU coach as a DC is more proof. And after he turns us down we will have to go down to division 2 or 3 to find some out of the way no name who has a good career beating up on teams like Mississippi Valley State Authority college for the blind.

Reactions: volunteer69
No offense taken. I work in TV news in Columbus and my sports chief is pretty plugged in (he's been in this market since the mid-90s). He says besides the money, Danny White is a draw. My take-away from him is that the feeling in the OSU AD is that White is "no joke" and the days of boosters running the show in Knoxville are over.

Yeah how is that working out so far?

Reactions: Cobb-Webb 1989
Washington is gone. The offer to the KSU coach as a DC is more proof. And after he turns us down we will have to go down to division 2 or 3 to find some out of the way no name who has a good career beating up on teams like Mississippi Valley State Authority college for the blind.

Links?

Reactions: Behr

VN Store

Back