Al Washington (Potential DC)

Is Arnett out? He’s the Grand Slam hire. He put up great numbers last year at MSU while working with air raid on the other side of the ball in Leach. Matter of fact, that air raid crashed and burned.

As much as I wanted Zach Arnett, I believe that Heupel and Leech are on good terms, and that he wouldn't poach a coach from Mike like that. If that is true, then kudos to CJH for having some integrity.

Reactions: cooperhixson
Steele isn't hanging around if someone else is hired as DC. I am not suggesting there's anything wrong with that, I just can't imagine a seasoned DC hanging around as a position coach.

He was brought on for an assistant position, and he is still getting paid by Auburn as well as us now. Why not ride it out for a year or two and let some options in the SEC open up?

Reactions: brentcontractor
He was brought on for an assistant position, and he is still getting paid by Auburn as well as us now. Why not ride it out for a year or two and let some options in the SEC open up?

If he doesn't get the DC position, I hope he will do that. I just wonder if he feels like his better opportunity is to take a year away and then see what opens up.

Steele isn't hanging around if someone else is hired as DC. I am not suggesting there's anything wrong with that, I just can't imagine a seasoned DC hanging around as a position coach.
He's already been here recruiting as a LB coach. He was hired to be a LB coach here (because Ansley was still DC at that time). We have no idea what Steele will do, but I'm just telling you what he's currently doing. He might leave, but as of now he's on staff and actually working.

Reactions: Nouveaux
Let’s go with Washington. May or may not be a good hire but he’s new blood and not the same old SEC recycled names that never make any difference for us.

I may be mistaken but didn't you mention in an earlier post that tOSU was considering giving him a $1M raise. tOSU hasn't indicated they are willing to pay him more to stay than they are currently paying their actual DC, Kerry Coombs.

this is smoke
No sir, if I said that it came out wrong. There DC retired which frees up more then $1M, dk exactly how much they are willing to pay to keep him, just know they’ve stated they would pay more to keep him.

I hope we at least try to get the Tulsa DC before this guy.
From an "old" Marine ground pounder from the the days of coach Wyatt, I believe the real home run hire would be the Tulsa DC Joseph Gillespie. Nominated for DC and Linebacker coach of the year and the only coach to shut our head coach down in 2020. Read his bio. He's developed some pretty good talent. Put your aiming stakes in the ground and fire away, it won't be the first time I've been shot at! GBO

I was not a fan of the Heupel hire nor the fact that we were going to take half of the UCF assistant pool.

But I like this hire if we go this way. Seems to recruit well which is important if the rest are coming from a mid major. Seems to be liked well at Ohio State.

Cant really complain much outside of depth of experience.

None of the above just pointing out what a cheerful personality you have
Bearded is our resident a-hole, cut him some slack.
Personally, I still can’t decide if I love the CJH hire or if I hate it? I like reading everyone’s spin on it though.
Today I’m doom and gloom, tomorrow we’re winning the SEC by year 3!🤷‍♂️
GBO!!

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Ohio State's really worried about losing Al. Calling Tennessee all sorts of names in the process. Can we get him just to shut them up?
Those are the Ohio State blogging sites; not so much Ohio State. If Washington truly deserved a defensive coordinator's role, he would have been moved up by Ryan Day. That never happened. As far as recruiting; at this point in time, OSU pretty much is a top 5 destination for most recruits.

No sir, if I said that it came out wrong. There DC retired which frees up more then $1M, dk exactly how much they are willing to pay to keep him, just know they’ve stated they would pay more to keep him.

Your post #73 here on this thread:
"He was number one recruiter last year, on top of that Ohio State was talking about paying an extra million just to keep him. So he seems pretty valuable"

You might want to examine this link for tOSU Football Coaching Staff and notice Mattison's place on the chart and Washington in relation to the DC Kerry Coombs: Ohio State football assistant coach salaries, terms announced

"He was number one recruiter last year, on top of that Ohio State was talking about paying an extra million just to keep him. So he seems pretty valuable"

You might want to examine this link for tOSU Football Coaching Staff and notice Mattison's place on the chart and Washington in relation to the DC Kerry Coombs: Ohio State football assistant coach salaries, terms announced
Ohio State could afford to pay whatever it wants to any coach on staff. It all comes down the head coach evaluation

Rather telling. He’s well down the pay scale.

From an "old" Marine ground pounder from the the days of coach Wyatt, I believe the real home run hire would be the Tulsa DC Joseph Gillespie. Nominated for DC and Linebacker coach of the year and the only coach to shut our head coach down in 2020. Read his bio. He's developed some pretty good talent. Put your aiming stakes in the ground and fire away, it won't be the first time I've been shot at! GBO
Don’t know what you said...but I think I like it!

Recruiting is not the issue with this program.
Not yet. but with possible NCCA punishment on the way (ie: scholarship reductions), the team can't afford to miss on any recruits. if a coach is known for excellent recruiting, that's always a bonus. At the point that our program is at, it may be a necessity.

I would love this hire if we keep Steele as well. Having an experienced play caller to help him would be a great idea. Washington can coach OLB, Steele can coach ILB.
I'll be curious to see how this all plays out definitely a lot of options, wouldn't mind seeing Kevin Simon coach ILB or OLB, if we do that and keep Steele do we have washington coach DL or do we split DL and have a DE and DT coach so we can possibly get garner and just have one secondary coach?.... Or does JH elect to go with 6 defensive coaches and 4 offensive coaches as he would be a defacto 5th offensive coach...hell if I know though just spitballing some wishes...wouldnt mind having Simon, Steele and garner on staff.

With Heupel's offense (and the fact that our defense will be put in a bad position at times), is a guy who has never called plays the smart hire? Heupel needs a guy on the defensive side that he can hand the defense over to and be confident that it's in the right hands. He seems like a great guy and solid coach, just wonder if this is what we need right now.

VN Store

Back