Al Washington (Potential DC)

At this point, we have tried everything in our hires.

No experience (Sunseri), tons of experience (Chaney)
Offensive mind (Kiffin), defensive mind (Pruitt)
Hotshot (Kiffin), boring (the rest)
Ascending G5 HC (Butch), salty SEC vet (Pruitt)
Salty position coaches (rocker etc), young recruiters (neidermeyer etc)
VFL, bammer, midwesterner, west coaster, sabaner, grudener, NFL, spread, smashmouth, 4-3, 3-4...

No matter what angle, we've pretty much tried it and it hasnt worked out for us. The words "recruiter of the year," "up and comer," "vet," "SEC experience," "HC experience" mean nothing to me anymore. I hope our staff does well, whoever they are, but I'm all out of predictions for what makes a hire good or bad

Last edited:
I am ok/happy about this hire. I think Steele should still be retained if we hire a coach as DC with no experience. Steele would do good with Washington as CO-DC for couple years. This will allow a young DC to learn form an experienced DC and a good recruiter. Steele is worth keeping on staff as a recruiter alone if nothing else. Even though Washington is considered a good coach up and coming we should not be worried about that I don’t believe. Just look at OSU message boards and the fans don’t wanna lose this guy and actually would like to see him promoted and try to keep on staff. But i would only go with Washington if they couldn’t get Matt House.

When you've got nothing intelligent to say, always call someone a name

Yes, because “ since you know so much you should be the one hiring the coaches” is such a witty, original addition to the conversation. You must be pretty desperate for something to do on a Sunday night to get involved in a conversation between two other people.

Not even close..This guy can actually Coach and Recruit. Sunseri wasn't a bad hire, he was just a bad hire for a defense than was recruited to run the exact opposite scheme.

if he's so great, why is his Tennessee failure the only opportunity he got as a DC?

Is Arnett out? He’s the Grand Slam hire. He put up great numbers last year at MSU while working with air raid on the other side of the ball in Leach. Matter of fact, that air raid crashed and burned.
I am not sure. The flow of information with this process has been less than direct.

Not even close..This guy can actually Coach and Recruit. Sunseri wasn't a bad hire, he was just a bad hire for a defense than was recruited to run the exact opposite scheme.
Not enough emphasis on Dave Hart calling and enforcing this hire

Ohio State's really worried about losing Al. Calling Tennessee all sorts of names in the process. Can we get him just to shut them up?

I suppose some had to do with the Schiano character assassination and that Tennessee is a total dumpster fire. He is not coming here.

Is Arnett out? He’s the Grand Slam hire. He put up great numbers last year at MSU while working with air raid on the other side of the ball in Leach. Matter of fact, that air raid crashed and burned.
To my knowledge we don't know if he was ever strongly considered

I would love this hire if we keep Steele as well. Having an experienced play caller to help him would be a great idea. Washington can coach OLB, Steele can coach ILB.

@VolDaddy61
How do you build a resume without experience ?!

I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED ABOUT THE SAME THING. IF YOU DO NOT GET A CHANCE HOW WILL YOU EVER HAVE "EXPERIENCE"

At a smaller school, on a smaller stage as a coordinator, and then working your way up thru the ranks as a coordinator.
Makes sense to me, much more so than a at a major university in the most competitive conference in the country for a team with obvious difficulties looming.
If he is the hire I'll support it, but I don't think we need a learn on the job never called a play in his life type position coach for DC at this time.
Maybe that's just me.

Could possibly be getting Co-DC with Washington (OLB) and Steele (ILB)

That's what I was thinking. Maybe Steele sticks around for a year to help Washington transition into a DC/play caller. Still not sold in Steele buying in/Heupel wanting to keep Steele around though with Fulmer hiring him.

At this point, we have tried everything in our hires.

No experience (Sunseri), tons of experience (Chaney)
Offensive mind (Kiffin), defensive mind (Pruitt)
Hotshot (Kiffin), boring (the rest)
Ascending G5 HC (Butch), salty SEC vet (Pruitt)
Salty position coaches (rocker etc), young recruiters (neidermeyer etc)
VFL, bammer, midwesterner, west coaster, sabaner, grudener, NFL, spread, smashmouth, 4-3, 3-4...

No matter what angle, we've pretty much tried it and it hasnt worked out for us. The words "recruiter of the year," "up and comer," "vet," "SEC experience," "HC experience" mean nothing to me anymore. I hope our staff does well, whoever they are, but I'm all out of predictions for what makes a hire good or bad

Your post is well thought out. I believe that what we've been missing is a coaching staff, roster, and administration that's bought in and pulling in the same direction. A team can win with a variety of offensive or defensive schemes as long as there's synergy throughout the program. Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case and we had to burn it to the ground in order to build it back correctly. I'm hopeful that we're going to get it right this time.

Reactions: ShreveportVol
Such a nice guy you are

Are you also in the camp of posters who spout off 'herp derp Coach <insert current HC> knows more about football than you herp derp herp' as a blanket response to any questioning of said coach's decisions, or are you just upset by proxy?

I would love this hire if we keep Steele as well. Having an experienced play caller to help him would be a great idea. Washington can coach OLB, Steele can coach ILB.

Steele isn't hanging around if someone else is hired as DC. I am not suggesting there's anything wrong with that, I just can't imagine a seasoned DC hanging around as a position coach.

Reactions: swampfoxfan

VN Store

Back