ACC

If we move to the ACC, can the university give Fulmer a lifetime position as AD and then sign Pruitt to a lifetime contract before he goes to Alabama?

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
It’s been 20 years now since we were a elite team in the SEC and a combined 15-45 record against Bama , Georgia and Florida since 2000.

Tennessee has been a member of the SEC for almost 90 years, most of that time TN was not elite. The 1990's were a high point for the program, basing a decision to leave the SEC by comparing the record of the last 20 years on the decade TN was at a historical high point is...well I do not have the words for that, but it is bad. Think for a moment what the TN athletic department has invested in the SEC. Great football rivalries like Alabama, Florida and Vanderbilt. Basketball rivalries with Vanderbilt and Kentucky. Because TN is in the SEC they have a traditional rivalry in football with the premiere football program in college history (Alabama) and a basketball rivalry with the premiere basketball program in college history (Kentucky). But you want to give all that up because we can win a few more games in a worse conference? Again, I do not have to words to convey how bad of an idea that is.

I know this thread might ruffle some feathers but I’ve thought for awhile now we would be better served moving to the ACC. We would’ve been the second best team in the ACC this year really and would be right at the top every year with Clemson. Knoxville is pretty close to ACC country as well and we border NC, and Virginia so natural annual rivalries with Va. Tech and Virginia along UNC and NC st. would naturally be formed.

Oh.
You again..😒

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I know this thread might ruffle some feathers but I’ve thought for awhile now we would be better served moving to the ACC. We would’ve been the second best team in the ACC this year really and would be right at the top every year with Clemson. Knoxville is pretty close to ACC country as well and we border NC, and Virginia so natural annual rivalries with Va. Tech and Virginia along UNC and NC st. would naturally be formed.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Tennessee has been a member of the SEC for almost 90 years, most of that time TN was not elite. The 1990's were a high point for the program, basing a decision to leave the SEC by comparing the record of the last 20 years on the decade TN was at a historical high point is...well I do not have the words for that, but it is bad. Think for a moment what the TN athletic department has invested in the SEC. Great football rivalries like Alabama, Florida and Vanderbilt. Basketball rivalries with Vanderbilt and Kentucky. Because TN is in the SEC they have a traditional rivalry in football with the premiere football program in college history (Alabama) and a basketball rivalry with the premiere basketball program in college history (Kentucky). But you want to give all that up because we can win a few more games in a worse conference? Again, I do not have to words to convey how bad of an idea that is.
You are correct on the timeframe but wrong about elite. UT was the winningest college football program from 1925 to 2010 so the entire time the SEC has been around. Can only be 1 #1

You are correct on the timeframe but wrong about elite. UT was the winningest college football program from 1925 to 2010 so the entire time the SEC has been around. Can only be 1 #1

I looked up the records of TN over the years here: List of Tennessee Volunteers football seasons - Wikipedia

By my reasoning these are the years TN was elite:
1938-1946
1950-1951
1967-1972
1989-1998 (greatest sustained run in TN history)

That adds up to 29 years of elite status, and almost 50 years of less than elite status. Take away the last 20 years (looking at our record up till 2001) then TN was elite about half the time. Actually better than I thought. I think my point still stands though, the run in the 1990's was the greatest sustained run in history, it is a bad idea to make comparisons to that time because it was not the standard for much of TN history.

Too bad UT didn't win the most conference or national championships during that span, or that stat might actually mean something.

I looked up the records of TN over the years here: List of Tennessee Volunteers football seasons - Wikipedia

1938-1946
1950-1951
1967-1972

That adds up to 29 years of elite status, and almost 50 years of less than elite status. Take away the last 20 years (looking at our record up till 2001) then TN was elite about half the time. Actually better than I thought. I think my point still stands though, the run in the 1990's was the greatest sustained run in history, it is a bad idea to make comparisons to that time because it was not the standard for much of TN history.
And compare that same time frame (1938 to now) to Florida, Georgia, Auburn, LSU, etc....

And after that, what's your point?

Reactions: 12 Monkeys

1938-1946
1950-1951
1967-1972

And compare that same time frame (1938 to now) to Florida, Georgia, Auburn, LSU, etc....

And after that, what's your point?

What do the records of the teams you mentioned have to do with TN going to the ACC? I also made my point very clear, if you do not see it I suggest that you go back and read my posts again carefully.

1938-1946
1950-1951
1967-1972

What do the records of the teams you mentioned have to do with TN going to the ACC? I also made my point very clear, if you do not see it I suggest that you go back and read my posts again carefully.

Exactly, what does any of that have to do with Tennessee going to the ACC? So what team do you pull for, exactly, since you don't want to go compare what other teams in the SEC have done and whether they should leave.

Exactly, what does any of that have to do with Tennessee going to the ACC? So what team do you pull for, exactly, since you don't want to go compare what other teams in the SEC have done and whether they should leave.

LOL, You are right now in a thread about leaving to go to the ACC. The post you quoted was not the only one I made, I was responding to someone in the post you quoted. Your second sentence I do not understand at all, but can tell you I have been a TN fan since 1989 (I understood that much).

LOL, You are right now in a thread about leaving to go to the ACC. The post you quoted was not the only one I made, I was responding to someone in the post you quoted. Your second sentence I do not understand at all, but can tell you I have been a TN fan since 1989 (I understood that much).
If you want TN to go to the ACC, and you think Tennessee isn't historically an elite SEC team, you're not a Tennessee fan, I can tell you that.

Reactions: tennesseeduke
Nebraska left the BiG 12 former Big 8 it’s not other prominent teams haven’t left a conference before
This is a horrible example. Nebraska left for a better conference in the Big 10 and now plays against tougher opponents than they did in the Big 12.

VN Store

Back