A Post on Jordan Walker's Improvement

How would we rate our guard play, overall, at a program (ours) that is aiming to get back to the top? I wouid rate it as average, maybe a notch
above average--but not where it needs to be for a national contender.

In SEC play...
The traditional guards-
Powell 3 below average, still has potential, trending down
Walker 6 slightly above average, trending up
Darby 8 good, solid, dependable
Miles/Wynn 0 turrrbul

Hybrids-
Jackson 10 elite
Horston 9 mostly elite

How would we rate our guard play, overall, at a program (ours) that is aiming to get back to the top? I wouid rate it as average, maybe a notch
above average--but not where it needs to be for a national contender.

I would say that's accurate. Horston is obviously an All-SEC player. Walker is a quality backup SEC combo guard being forced to start at point... again. Powell has far more talent and more upside. Whether she can grow into the role or not will determine how far this team goes in March...

All I can say is we need better Pg’s going forward, and plazas only 5’10 or taller.
I know some have criticized Jordan W. But, for the sake of fairness, I would note that the team notes point out that Jordan H has joined the elite company of only four LVs to have surpassed 1000 points, 500 rebounds, and 400 assists. Jordan W has 1244 points, 638 rebounds, and 377 assists. So Jordy W is only 23 assists from this elite group (noting that her stats are combined with her Western Michigan's numbers). And she plays great defense. Not too shabby, in my book. Keep up the good play, Jordy W. GBO.

Last edited:
I think Jordan has a bit of a Draymond Green personality. She is not taking nuthin' from no one and plays, on her good games, on the emotional edge. She is probably gonna tee'd up a few more times this season.

But she is delivering what the team needs. My take on Jordan was that it always two seasons for a player to fully recover from an ACL (and Jordan had 2 on the same knee). This season is really the first we have seen her where she is as close to 100% as she is ever going to get. Her explosiveness and lateral quickness, and somewhat related to confidence in her knee, is way up and she is getting steals and charges. She probably feels like she can score in the lane because she is beating defenders off the dribble but she just can't shoot over the rim defenders.

But she is doing less and less of that and as 36720VOL notes, she is getting the ball to our playmakers with increasing frequency and precision. She is getting the job done and if she were on another team, I suspect a few of her (and CKH's) detractors would be complaining "why can't we find a PG like Jordan Walker?"
She is playing better for sure but I wish she’d pay more attention to 21 when she’s open.

Had to revive this thread! I was at the Ole Miss game, and Walker was riveting in her effort, poise, and improvement. In the first quarter, she was the clear leader of the team in way I hadn't seen before. She got the most rebounds, got several steals, saw the court, played good defense and so forth. She didn't shoot a lot but had decent shot selection including hitting her 3-pointer. I am not sure how much of this came across on TV but she was just not the "mid-major" player she has been labeled with by some. I am really respecting her at a new level though always appreciated. Also, as she and Hollingshed are becoming more consistent contributors to this team, we still have a chance to take it up to another level!

Last edited:
Had to revive this thread! I was at the Ole Miss game, and Walker was riveting in her effort, poise, and improvement. In the first quarter, she was the clear leader of the team in way I hadn't seen before. She got the most rebounds, got several steals, saw the court, played good defense and so forth. She didn't shoot a lot but had decent shot selection including hitting her 3-pointer. I am not sure how much of this came across on TV but she was just not the "mid-major" player she has been labeled with by some. I am really respecting her at a new level though always appreciated. Also, as she and Hollingshed become are becoming more consistent contributors to this team, we still have a chance to take it up to another level!

This is probably the first time where we are seeing Jordan walker being as close to 100% as she is going to get. She tore her ACL twice on the same knee. That is a devastating injury and it takes time for a player to come back from that both physically and mentally.

Last edited:
next game she probably goes 0 for 10 and 5 turnovers, if past performance is indicative.

Anyone would have to admit that her improvement this year has been striking. Here are her advanced statistics over the last 3 years (in conference games only)
1675535897791.png

Across the board improvement. She's made herself from a bottom 5 SEC PG into a top 5 SEC PG. The SC and LSU PGs are clearly better, but after them, I can't think of any playing at her level right now.

Keep in mind that I wanted her benched and getting 0 minutes as recently as 12/31/2022.

Anyone would have to admit that her improvement this year has been striking. Here are her advanced statistics over the last 3 years (in conference games only)
View attachment 534587

Across the board improvement. She's made herself from a bottom 5 SEC PG into a top 5 SEC PG. The SC and LSU PGs are clearly better, but after them, I can't think of any playing at her level right now.

Keep in mind that I wanted her benched and getting 0 minutes as recently as 12/31/2022.

Nice to see posters willing to acknowledge a change of opinion based upon facts. That takes maturity and clear-eyed thinking. We need more of that in our fan base
Thanks for setting a great example.:cool:

On most nights our guard play fluctuates 7.5 - 8.5 when it comes to a best out of 10. However there are some nights when it's very erratic, turnoves during high pressure situations, too many drives into much taller post players, and not enough on ball pressure on the opposing gurard. Overall JW has been improving and playing well. If our guards play their "A" game every night I think we give ourselves a chance to win big games. But their are other position groups where we have issues as well.

Last edited:
Oh she had more turnovers than that.

Tonight you see why Walker is NOT a starting SEC point guard...
But she's been playing one on TV lately! Of course it was always going to be hard for her to sustain that level when its a reach for her.

I'm concerned JW is getting a bit mentally fatigued, understandable at this point in the season. But her famous cool and calm is showing cracks. The intentional shove of Annie H was an incredibly bad move, and should have sewn up the game for them. Also, she had the little arm smacking deal with another player recently.

Where in world is Jasmine Powell and what in the world happened to her?

VN Store

Back