A Post on Jordan Walker's Improvement

37620VOL

Barely-Known Member
How would we rate our guard play, overall, at a program (ours) that is aiming to get back to the top? I wouid rate it as average, maybe a notch
above average--but not where it needs to be for a national contender.
In SEC play...
The traditional guards-
Powell 3 below average, still has potential, trending down
Walker 6 slightly above average, trending up
Darby 8 good, solid, dependable
Miles/Wynn 0 turrrbul

Hybrids-
Jackson 10 elite
Horston 9 mostly elite

Darth_Vol

How would we rate our guard play, overall, at a program (ours) that is aiming to get back to the top? I wouid rate it as average, maybe a notch
above average--but not where it needs to be for a national contender.
I would say that's accurate. Horston is obviously an All-SEC player. Walker is a quality backup SEC combo guard being forced to start at point... again. Powell has far more talent and more upside. Whether she can grow into the role or not will determine how far this team goes in March...

J-Dog 1313

All I can say is we need better Pg’s going forward, and plazas only 5’10 or taller.
I know some have criticized Jordan W. But, for the sake of fairness, I would note that the team notes point out that Jordan H has joined the elite company of only four LVs to have surpassed 1000 points, 500 rebounds, and 400 assists. Jordan W has 1244 points, 638 rebounds, and 377 assists. So Jordy W is only 23 assists from this elite group (noting that her stats are combined with her Western Michigan's numbers). And she plays great defense. Not too shabby, in my book. Keep up the good play, Jordy W. GBO.

Last edited:

VOLPAT

I think Jordan has a bit of a Draymond Green personality. She is not taking nuthin' from no one and plays, on her good games, on the emotional edge. She is probably gonna tee'd up a few more times this season.

But she is delivering what the team needs. My take on Jordan was that it always two seasons for a player to fully recover from an ACL (and Jordan had 2 on the same knee). This season is really the first we have seen her where she is as close to 100% as she is ever going to get. Her explosiveness and lateral quickness, and somewhat related to confidence in her knee, is way up and she is getting steals and charges. She probably feels like she can score in the lane because she is beating defenders off the dribble but she just can't shoot over the rim defenders.

But she is doing less and less of that and as 36720VOL notes, she is getting the ball to our playmakers with increasing frequency and precision. She is getting the job done and if she were on another team, I suspect a few of her (and CKH's) detractors would be complaining "why can't we find a PG like Jordan Walker?"
She is playing better for sure but I wish she’d pay more attention to 21 when she’s open.

VN Store