247 Ranks all SEC QBs

We don’t hate him b/c he lost us games, it’s because he can’t win us games. A game manager QB’s job is to not lose games. That works when the defense is elite and the running game is strong. Right now we need a Dobbs 2.0, someone who can create big plays and take over games. With our defense playing like hot garbage we needed a QB that could produce twice his numbers, 24 TDs and 6 ints would have given us a 7 win season

I don't hate him period. I just don't think he's completion percentage in 2018 is worth calling him a top 3 SEC QB going into 2019 as K-town_king espouses at the drop of a hat.

I'd love it for him to step up in 2019 and have a banner year; hope Chaney can help make that happen.

Last edited:
Haha Behr you crack me up

Haha, well those guys crack me up. I wasn't talking to either one of them and they tripped over each other pistols drawn. Lol.

By my own rule I was wrong, but I still haven't seen anyone say "Its not JG at all". One of those guys BreadedVol quoted even said he thought JG could improve under Chaney like Crompton did. And KB and K-town both have said JG does need to improve just not as much as some say, but I'm not gonna waste time arguing it.

Its not all the o-line and its not all JG and its beyond ridiculous that this is even being argued.

Its not all the o-line and its not all JG and its beyond ridiculous that this is even being argued.
It really is. This shouldn't go on for page after page in thread after thread if we're all cheering for the same team and hoping for the same results. It seems that some people are more invested in the success or failure of individuals than of the team. They'll deny it, of course, but it's either that or...
The debate on JG reminds me of modern day politics, where scoring points in an argument is the goal, not to actually persuade someone to your way of thinking.
...this. It's not even about being right. It's just about the other side being wrong.

What it does not mention is how many times JG had to have his jersey double bleached to get all of the grass stains out of the back of it.

I kind of like having Franks down around # 8. Will hopefully humble and motivate him at the same time.

Doesn't matter what the reasons were, it takes time to catch up, he's 2 years out at the earliest from being ready.
What you have to understand about Maurers competition in Hs is his team was overmatched nearly every single week. Especially up front and on both sides of the ball (nearly equivalent to Alabama vs Ga State) He played on one of the worst programs in the state and was recognized as the states best QB. You think UTs o line was bad last year? You should’ve seen what he was dealing with for the last 3 years. Point is I think he’s a lot closer to being ready than most give him credit for due to being overmatched in HS. He needs more weight, a complete understanding of the playbook and a coaching staff that believes in him and he’ll be a household name.

I believe you are making a false equivalence. He's saying that tons of people underappreciated and under valued Clausen's abilities whilst here. People are doing the same to JG. No one is equating them in terms of talent, just volantion's shittiness to both...

It's a very good analogy, too.

Clausen took the same kinda criticism because he wasn't the second-coming of Peyton Manning. No one seems to remember that now, because hindsight has tended to make people realize Clausen was one of the all-time greats here, but at the time, he was very underappreciated, because people were comparing him to Peyton Manning, as well as a 1998 national title team with Tee Martin.

I think based on advanced stats, JG was probably about the 5th best SEC QB last season. Not elite, but much better than people give him credit for; reminiscent of Clausen in that sense, but Clausen played on much better teams.

Reactions: k-town_king
I don't hate him period. I just don't think he's completion percentage in 2018 is worth calling him a top 3 SEC QB going into 2019 as K-town_king espouses at the drop of a hat.

I'd love it for him to step up in 2019 and have a banner year; hope Chaney can help make that happen.

More than completion %. He only had 2 pics through 8 full games which demonstrates good judgement. He’s not all world, but he’s also not the reason we were 5-7 last year.

Reactions: k-town_king
More than completion %. He only had 2 pics through 8 full games which demonstrates good judgement. He’s not all world, but he’s also not the reason we were 5-7 last year.

If completion percentage and TD/INT ratio were all that mattered in being successful at QB, then sure.

That'd make Gardner Minshew the best college QB of 2018 with his 70.7 completion percentage and his 38/9 TD/INT ratio.

Now normally I don't get bent out of shape over meaningless rankings such as this one, but I'm starting to get a little irked at the complete disrespect being hurdled Feleipe's way...The kid BALLED OUT last year, especially the last three games (Including out-dueling the suposedly "better" Jake Bentley.) and was one of the key REASONS we won 10 games, we didn't win in spite of him like some yokels believe...He's good, this isn't 2017....Tua, Fromm, and MAAAYBE Mond could argue they're better in this league but no other QB, including Burrow, can.

What happen against Missouri? You call 13/26 for 175 against Michigan balling out?
I believe your defence is the one that balled out. Frank's is mediocre at best.

If completion percentage and TD/INT ratio were all that mattered in being successful at QB, then sure.

That'd make Gardner Minshew the best college QB of 2018 with his 70.7 completion percentage and his 38/9 TD/INT ratio.

Absurd analogy. I never said it was all that mattered. Just so I know where you’re coming from, please list JG’s specific deficiencies and how those deficiencies led to one or more of our losses last year.

Absurd analogy. I never said it was all that mattered. Just so I know where you’re coming from, please list JG’s specific deficiencies and how those deficiencies led to one or more of our losses last year.

So your mindset is, if one or more losses can't be pinned 100% on JG, then he has no deficiencies, in spite of only throwing 12 TDs, and even with an anemic running game, ending the season at the bottom of the conference in completions and attempts?

I really don't know what sort of discussion you can have if that's the way you view the QB position.

So your mindset is, if one or more losses can't be pinned 100% on JG, then he has no deficiencies, in spite of only throwing 12 TDs, and even with an anemic running game, ending the season at the bottom of the conference in completions and attempts?

I really don't know what sort of discussion you can have if that's the way you view the QB position.

In other words, you have nothing to say on the topic. I asked you a simple question and you answer with re-direction. I’ll give you another shot at it: what are his specific deficiencies and how did they contribute to losses?

I just heard a guest analyst on Sirius 84 talking about JG. He said he’s never seen a QB so determined to be good. He admitted that doesn’t always translate to being good but he said at the Manning passing academy it was 100 degrees, they were at there all day, and JG was the only one still out there after the session ended working on his footwork with his coach. He also said he was impressed with JG last year despite playing behind Swiss cheese and that Chaney does a great job of simplifying the game without becoming predictable which allows players to play faster. He said he expects JG to have a much better year and that he could possibly be the 4th best QB in the SEC. Seemed relevant to this thread so thought I’d share.

The debate on JG reminds me of modern day politics, where scoring points in an argument is the goal, not to actually persuade someone to your way of thinking.

Bottom line is the only stat that matters is Wins or Losses.

JG has a terrible record as the starting QB. As most QB’s would with that supporting cast.

But, a true playmaker at QB like Josh Dobbs would carry a team on his shoulders.

Dobbs did that many times his Senior season when the offensive line was terrible and the defense was practically non existence.

JG has yet to show that kind of leadership and ability, but that’s what it takes to play QB in the SEC.

Reactions: VolsGrad1989
Reactions: vols 30

VN Store

Back