247 Ranks all SEC QBs

JG has some skills, he was accurate last season when he knew where he was going with the ball, and got it out quickly. But, he really struggles with his reads, making quick decisions, he holds on to the football too long. He must improve on getting the ball out faster before taking a sack. He doesn’t feel pressure in the pocket because of his lack of vision. He needs to improve by stepping up in the pocket when pressured while getting rid of the ball accurately before taking a sack. He is at his best when he can stand in the pocket like a statue and deliver a throw to his primary receiver without pressure but unfortunately, he rarely has that luxury.
I doubt our coaches are working on any of that with him, lol. I didn't ask for the same old stale remarks about JG, I asked who would you take over JG in the SEC.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
If
True.

You need to be accurate accurate. Check. Also make good decisions and avoid turnovers. Double check. Plus have good players around you. Big question mark.

CC was the epitome of a game manager.

A playmaker at QB makes everyone on the offense better. If one guy misses his block the QB feels the pressure and evades it while still delivering a strike to his covered receiver. That’s just what playmakers do. They are hard to defend even when other players aren’t executing.

Last edited:
Now normally I don't get bent out of shape over meaningless rankings such as this one, but I'm starting to get a little irked at the complete disrespect being hurdled Feleipe's way...The kid BALLED OUT last year, especially the last three games (Including out-dueling the suposedly "better" Jake Bentley.) and was one of the key REASONS we won 10 games, we didn't win in spite of him like some yokels believe...He's good, this isn't 2017....Tua, Fromm, and MAAAYBE Mond could argue they're better in this league but no other QB, including Burrow, can.

Reactions: Jaws
Now normally I don't get bent out of shape over meaningless rankings such as this one, but I'm starting to get a little irked at the complete disrespect being hurdled Feleipe's way...The kid BALLED OUT last year, especially the last three games (Including out-dueling the suposedly "better" Jake Bentley.) and was one of the key REASONS we won 10 games, we didn't win in spite of him like some yokels believe...He's good, this isn't 2017....Tua, Fromm, and MAAAYBE Mond could argue they're better in this league but no other QB, including Burrow, can.
We'll see how he does this year behind an inexperienced OL. He and Monde are both getting really good QB coaching currently and could see them having big years. I think this is the 1st time in his career that JG is getting top notch coaching with Chaney and many believe it will make a big difference. Franks seems like a turnover waiting to happen to me. A take 3 steps forward and 2 back type player.

If

A playmaker at QB makes everyone on the offense better. If one guy misses his block the QB feels the pressure and evades it while still deliver a strike to his covered receiver. That’s just what playmakers do. They are hard to defend even when other players aren’t executing.
Coach Pruitt just said in one of his pressers that JG makes the players around him better, good call!

We'll see how he does this year behind an inexperienced OL. He and Monde are both getting really good QB coaching currently and could see them having big years. I think this is the 1st time in his career that JG is getting top notch coaching with Chaney and many believe it will make a big difference. Franks seems like a turnover waiting to happen to me. A take 3 steps forward and 2 back type player.

Then so is Fromm, because they threw exactly the same amount of interceptions.

I doubt our coaches are working on any of that with him, lol. I didn't ask for the same old stale remarks about JG, I asked who would you take over JG in the SEC.

Why? I refuse to be baited into a conversation that’s not relevant to this discussion. I don’t care about the other QB’s in the SEC. I just want UT to win, and it’s still debatable if they can win in the SEC with JG.

We have a QB with some talent and some skills but he has a long way to go to compete with the best in the SEC.

As far as our coaches working with him, I’m sure that they are but if he hasn’t improved by now it unlikely that he will.

I watched Mauer play in the Orange and White game, and it was obvious that he has some of the skills that JG still needs to develop, but he must be much more cautious with the football. If we could take best of both of them we could have a winner.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Coach Pruitt just said in one of his pressers that JG makes the players around him better, good call!

I haven’t seen that yet. All that I have seen is JG holding the football too long and taking sacks. If you need proof, just go back and watch the first quarter of the Orange and White game. JG kept taking sacks and Pruitt was angry with him.

Then so is Fromm, because they threw exactly the same amount of interceptions.
Fair point. Franks certainly has the tools, and he's being coached by one of the best playcallers in the game. I think he could have a big year but Florida has a tough schedule this year and if that OL struggles it remains to be seen how he will do. He's definitely top half in the conference because of his situation more than his talent I feel. He's definitely got a good core of WRs to throw to.

I haven’t seen that yet. All that I have seen is JG holding the football too long and taking sacks. If you need proof, just go back and watch the first quarter of the Orange and White game. JG kept taking sacks and Pruitt was angry with him.
Well he certainly said it and said it in a positive light of JG. You also said it but made it in a negative light of JG. Funny how that works sometimes.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Why? I refuse to be baited into a conversation that’s not relevant to this discussion. I don’t care about the other QB’s in the SEC. I just want UT to win, and it’s still debatable if they can win in the SEC with JG.

We have a QB with some talent and some skills but he has a long way to go to compete with the best in the SEC.

As far as our coaches working with him, I’m sure that they are but if he hasn’t improved by now it unlikely that he will.

I watched Mauer play in the Orange and White game, and it was obvious that he has some of the skills that JG still needs to develop, but he must be much more cautious with the football. If we could take best of both of them we could have a winner.
I agree with that, right up to when you said he hadn't improved, which he clearly has based on all the analytics that are out there currently, no reason to think he won't improve a significant amount behind top coaching for the 1st time in his career. Way to early for Mauer, he's a couple of years away as he is making a big jump in competition that takes most qbs a couple of years to catch up to. Probably explains JG just now slowing the game down as I doubt his HS level competition was that strong either.

Well he certainly said it and said it in a positive light of JG. You also said it but made it in a negative light of JG. Funny how that works sometimes.

Your entitled to your opinion. But, to this point the evidence is clear and convincing. JG has a lot of work to do to get better, and I certainly hope that he does because UT will only go as far as he takes them this season.

He has a losing record against SEC teams and he’s the only UT QB that I can ever remember that is 0-2 against Vanderbilt!!

Your entitled to your opinion. But, to this point the evidence is clear and convincing. JG has a lot of work to do to get better, and I certainly hope that he does because UT will only go as far as he takes them this season.

He has a losing record against SEC teams and he’s the only UT QB that I can ever remember that is 0-2 against Vanderbilt!!
I think his win loss record is important and agree that he must get wins vs Vanderbilt, 2 to be exact. I just can't lay all of those losses on him. He's been horribly coached considering his last 2 OCs, he has played behind an undersized OL both seasons without any running game to speak of, he's not had any Sr leadership help him learn the position, there are several factors that I feel has slowed his development. This is definitely a make or break year for him. I just feel that all signs point to him being a really good player for us this year. I think he's going to win a bunch of games the next 2 years.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
My problem is if he was the #1 dual threat QB how come he hasn't proven it yet. He needs to scramble around like Dobbs did to extend plays and make plays happen.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
My problem is if he was the #1 dual threat QB how come he hasn't proven it yet. He needs to scramble around like Dobbs did to extend plays and make plays happen.
I think it is pretty clear that he is not a dual threat QB at this level. Not sure who rated him that or why he was ever rated as such. His arm talent and toughness are his 2 best attributes and we'll know this year if he can win at this level or not.

I have been critical in the past, but I think JG is going to benefit considerably with CJC coaching and play calling. I believe the line will be better; therefore, that excuse will not be there after this season. We will see then what he can do. I think this where he may be at the end of the season, but a little premature before the season.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

VN Store

Back