2024 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d put a lot of money down that we have a worse SEC record next season after our down year this year. If I’m wrong, that would be great. If I’m right, thank DW for making a bad move….
To be fair, without a significant portal haul it was going to be a tough year anyway. SEC is going to be so much tougher going forward and we were left with a huge hole in scoring and rebounding to fill.

Also to be fair, it's reasonable to think KJH and staff had a much better chance of making a portal haul than the new staff. They had a successful portal history, the new staff is starting from scratch, but hopefully with better NIL.

Wow surprised at this, if we can still be surprised at any. When she had the huge game against LSU, Sam P went on and on about how much she was his fave, his own Miracle. I noticed she didn't play that much in their SEC tourney game I saw. The wheels seem to have really fallen off for Sam's future, though he did get Jerkala Jordan back.

Just when I'm getting outraged about the players' NIL $ game, I read that Coach Cal is getting 7 million a year to coach Arkansas. Plus many incentives. Cal who failed miserably at KY the last few years.

Truthfully, it's all morally outrageous for this amount of $ to be prioitized to sports in a world where children are starving.
And that’s less than Nico’s 8 mil, before he ever played a college game.

Wow surprised at this, if we can still be surprised at any. When she had the huge game against LSU, Sam P went on and on about how much she was his fave, his own Miracle. I noticed she didn't play that much in their SEC tourney game I saw. The wheels seem to have really fallen off for Sam's future, though he did get Jerkala Jordan back.
I had my eye on him after the LSU game because it seemed like the relationship between coach and players was so good. It was a shame to see things just fall apart. Wonder if the HVL rumors are contributing to this to some extent.

Reactions: glv98
If NIL takes the path many of you are suggesting ( and, maybe even if it doesn’t), I'm afraid the student athletes of the future may be in for a rude awakening, particularly in the circumstance where student-athletes become university employees. I can see the IRS classifyi If NIL takes the path many of you are suggesting ( and, maybe even if it doesn’t), I'm afraid the student athletes of the future may be in for a rude awakening, particularly in the circumstance where student-athletes become university employees. I can see the IRS classifying the scholarship, housing, and subsistence that student-athletes receive as taxable benefits under those circumstances. Imagine having to suddenly pay taxes on an additional $25-125,000.00 that was previously tax-exempt.

Jim

Last edited:
Dang, I thought he'd be a good fit for us at one point but this guy simply cannot keep a player. I wonder what the record is for most non coaching change transfers. Rueck has to be getting close.

Rueck has had a fair number of defections over the years. That said, the current exodus is more likely to be the result of conference realignment than anything on Rueck's part. If anything, the man deserves credit for not jumping ship himself (at least so far).

I had my eye on him after the LSU game because it seemed like the relationship between coach and players was so good. It was a shame to see things just fall apart. Wonder if the HVL rumors are contributing to this to some extent.
I thought about that. If so, it would be another case of heavy dependence on older players at the expense of younger hs recruits. Which we were told was one of DW's frustrations w Kellie - over reliance on portal players w short eligibility at the expense of hs recruiting. But it's hard to see how that can be avoided in this environment. Sam's can't turn down having Jordan and HVL next year to keep Miracle happy.

Reactions: brittannica
I thought about that. If so, it would be another case of heavy dependence on older players at the expense of younger hs recruits. Which we were told was one of DW's frustrations w Kellie - over reliance on portal players w short eligibility at the expense of hs recruiting. But it's hard to see how that can be avoided in this environment. Sam's can't turn down having Jordan and HVL next year to keep Miracle happy.
Unrelated to wbb, but I went to the LV spring soccer game last weekend. Same comments about bringing in fifth year seniors and grad transfers over developing young players to win. So, yes, some of these transfers are seemingly for $$$, but some players may have serious misgivings about their ability to develop in a program. It’s so tricky. I would have retired if I was Tara too!

Reactions: Lucy and glv98
Unrelated to wbb, but I went to the LV spring soccer game last weekend. Same comments about bringing in fifth year seniors and grad transfers over developing young players to win. So, yes, some of these transfers are seemingly for $$$, but some players may have serious misgivings about their ability to develop in a program. It’s so tricky. I would have retired if I was Tara too!
It's instant gratification over development because the standards are so high and leash is often so short. AD is mad you don't develop, but also mad you don't win enough. No kidding, in spite of the ridiculous money, coaching is no picnic nowadays.

I’ve seen so many mixed reports on this. On one hand they reported her saying “Stanford is in great hands I’m excited for next year” and now a shrug 🤷‍♀️

And Vol Club/Spyre has blown off my email asking how funds are distributed among the sports, and whether donations can be earmarked to specific programs. It's definitely a concern.

However, NIL can't be used as any kind of excuse for lack of recruiting per many on this board the last few years. Lame excuse for coach's failure to close.
Unless it has changed in the last year, significant Spyre donations can be directed to a specific sport such as football according to their staff.

Reactions: Mafiaboss and glv98
To be fair, without a significant portal haul it was going to be a tough year anyway. SEC is going to be so much tougher going forward and we were left with a huge hole in scoring and rebounding to fill.

Also to be fair, it's reasonable to think KJH and staff had a much better chance of making a portal haul than the new staff. They had a successful portal history, the new staff is starting from scratch, but hopefully with better NIL.
We’re starting over. Uncharted territory. It had to happen for the good of the program. Love Kellie and Holly, but the game is changing and CKC is one coach who is going there.

Reactions: VolFuture
Next season we have some new programs, competitive programs, joining the SEC. DW hired for the future, which doesn’t mean we’re going backwards in the present. The game is changing, and CKC gets it.
Oklahoma and Texas, Kellie beat Oklahoma, and has beaten Vic, too. We‘ll see about Kim.

I think it hard to say because we don’t know all pieces to the pie. Is it true NIL was lackluster until now??? If there is as much NIL money available now as LSU and S. Carolina has, then I would place the burden on CKC to start making progress in recruiting. Maybe a couple in the top 35 in 2025 and a couple in the top 25 in 2026.
If the NIL money is not up to LSU or S. Carolina level, then I put the blame on DW and maybe staff for not doing more to get donations and to the fans/boosters who are critical of the team’s performance but are not supporting NIL.
JMO
But we don’t the truth about Nil, since we missed out on the elites people starting saying it was because of Nil, it that’s just rumors without any factual proof. i don’t believe all these other schools have all this Nil money to get multiple elite players and we can afford one, that would make no sense.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
But we don’t the truth about Nil, since we missed out on the elites people starting saying it was because of Nil, it that’s just rumors without any factual proof. i don’t believe all these other schools have all this Nil money to get multiple elite players and we can afford one, that would make no sense.
They was saying that the men's team was only 2 to 3 million last season and is expected to balloon to 6 million this year. If so then women's should at least get half what they are getting or 3 million. Maybe we could get some portal players for that amount and keep most of who we have.

Reactions: brittannica
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back