2024 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just when I'm getting outraged about the players' NIL $ game, I read that Coach Cal is getting 7 million a year to coach Arkansas. Plus many incentives. Cal who failed miserably at KY the last few years.

Truthfully, it's all morally outrageous for this amount of $ to be prioitized to sports in a world where children are starving.
Meanwhile there are pay bands that restrict how much you can pay students conducting research 👀 And one of these groups of students is far more likely to be experiencing food and housing insecurity.

Question for the NIL-knowlegable out there: when a player "asks for more money," from a university, does the NIL team at that school reach out to boosters? What is the administrative pipeline for requests like that? Seems like it would skirt the NCAA rules a bit.

Reactions: krichunaka
I don’t mind student-athletes getting paid, but this is egregious and completely undermines the student part of student-athlete.
Why I might stay away from the big names except maybe one player or two which you must have. LSU is acting crazy since Mulkey got there. I'm sure she has some LSU boosters lined up to pay what she needs.

Reactions: spojo13
Just when I'm getting outraged about the players' NIL $ game, I read that Coach Cal is getting 7 million a year to coach Arkansas. Plus many incentives. Cal who failed miserably at KY the last few years.

Truthfully, it's all morally outrageous for this amount of $ to be prioitized to sports in a world where children are starving.
Amen!

Reactions: 1reVOLver
I don’t mind student-athletes getting paid, but this is egregious and completely undermines the student part of student-athlete.
The "blame" has to go on those who sacrifice the kid's lunch money or their employee's health care coverage to buy players thru the collective instead. Our priorities are whack to say the least. I can't even donate my pitance to the LVBHC anymore. Local food bank instead.

Back to bloodbath NIL, IMO our best hope for CKC to get real NIL help is that DW has so much of his ego invested in this hire. He'll help her all he can.

Imagine how eyepopping these totals are to CKC. Pretty sure she wasn't slinging much cash at Glenville State or Marshall. Talk about being transported to a different world!

Meanwhile there are pay bands that restrict how much you can pay students conducting research 👀 And one of these groups of students is far more likely to be experiencing food and housing insecurity.
Someone going to need to put a cap on NIL or it is going to blow sports up eventually. I think a salary cap would work just like Pro sports. Since you can now have collectives make deals legally with high school and other players something needs to limit how much in actually money payments you can make. 500 grand is to much for any player in any sport in college yet that won't get you much these days.

? Lucy Olsen was the 3rd highest scorer in the country last year.
She scored a lot took a lot of shots per game to do it. Her sc eff is 1.09 per shot attempt. So that is what your getting. To compare Jewell has a 1.29 she just doesn't shoot as much as that player. I would be looking for players with at least a 1.20 over their entire career.

Someone going to need to put a cap on NIL or it is going to blow sports up eventually. I think a salary cap would work just like Pro sports. Since you can now have collectives make deals legally with high school and other players something needs to limit how much in actually money payments you can make. 500 grand is to much for any player in any sport in college yet that won't get you much these days.
I think that's going to happen pretty soon with salary moving in house to the schools. You know it will get capped then! Meanwhile, there will have been a 2 or 3 year wild west window where a few hundred very young people got very rich. Just hope it's generational for most instead of life destroying, which big money quick inevitably is for some.

Why I might stay away from the big names except maybe one player or two which you must have. LSU is acting crazy since Mulkey got there. I'm sure she has some LSU boosters lined up to pay what she needs.
I can't remember now, but I vaguely recall reading that Louisiana's NIL approach was more relaxed than those for Tennessee, allowing for money to flow more freely without having to worry about those mean ol' lawdy-laws that Tennessee has. I admit I mentally blocked myself from trying to understand how all this seems to be working differently for different states, so I am way ignorant of what's going on.

Can ANYone possibly understand all of this?

Ugh.

I think that's going to happen pretty soon with salary moving in house to the schools. You know it will get capped then! Meanwhile, there will have been a 2 or 3 year wild west window where a few hundred very young people got very rich. Just hope it's generational for most instead of life destroying, which big money quick inevitably is for some.
The sooner the better as a coach posted on twitter or X whatever you call it that he called a player in the portal that wanted 100 grand to come to that school. He said that player averaged 5 points and 3 rebounds a game last year.

I can't remember now, but I vaguely recall reading that Louisiana's NIL approach was more relaxed than those for Tennessee, allowing for money to flow more freely without having to worry about those mean ol' lawdy-laws that Tennessee has. I admit I mentally blocked myself from trying to understand how all this seems to be working differently for different states, so I am way ignorant of what's going on.

Can ANYone possibly understand all of this?

Ugh.
It certainly could've been before but now it wouldn't be after that ruling you can pay high school or anyone as much as you want. You used to not be able to contact high schoolers in Tennessee even if you were a collective now you can go full force.

I hope we make it. I just think DW got over zealous and has hurt us. But he’s confident that she’ll compete right away so obviously that means we’ll make the NCAAT right….
I might join you in that opinion in a month, but it is wait and see right now. Were not that bad need to be a lot better. I think we have to get better for sure not where we are yet we have some effective players.

I guess my point is that he shouldn’t have made the move, made it when he did, and hired a D2 coach for a P5 job. Yes it’s on her too, but it was a bad move first.
Next season we have some new programs, competitive programs, joining the SEC. DW hired for the future, which doesn’t mean we’re going backwards in the present. The game is changing, and CKC gets it.

Reactions: lvocd
Next season we have some new programs, competitive programs, joining the SEC. DW hired for the future, which doesn’t mean we’re going backwards in the present. The game is changing, and CKC gets it.
I’d put a lot of money down that we have a worse SEC record next season after our down year this year. If I’m wrong, that would be great. If I’m right, thank DW for making a bad move….

Reactions: vols90
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back