2024 Transfer Portal Thread

I want to personally thank everyone on here who worried night and day. It seems that all your moaning, groaning, and predictions of doom, despair and agony actually did accomplish something. Chaz did come here after all. :^()
I'm going to give a like to all you naysayers for all your fruitful guarantees that there was no way he was coming to UT.
I enjoyed the posts of people in panic mode in second week of portal season. It’s amazing people actually thought this staff wasn’t going to put tougher a solid roster. It’s hilarious.

Last edited:
@Stoerner Fumbles Now that this is over, are you able to share the behind the scenes info on this rollercoaster?

The condensed version is that he contacted us in December. He always wanted to come here. When he and his mother spoke to Barnes in the Spring, he said he was going to be a Vol. They discussed his NIL with Spyre. It was basically the DK deal. Everyone was happy with that. The grad transfer portal change created some attention for him and his agent wanted to play their hand for a larger NIL. Lanie’s mother didn’t like that they had promised to come, were getting a good deal, and now he wanted more. That said, the market changed materially. They agreed to discuss the NIL again on his official visit. We adjusted the number up, but were not the highest. Before the NIL meeting, they sat with Rod, CRB and ZZ. They discussed him being the guy who could make them champions. Barnes said Lanier needed to know that he’d have to be a leader to justify making so much more than teammates. They talked about leadership, and selfishness and Barnes gave them a Bible quote about it. The agent participated in the end of the meeting to discuss the steps for making a decision. They would meet with Spyre, get offer, contemplate options and respond by Friday. The funny thing is he was trying to play the offer and get more by implying he hadn’t decided. His mother undermined that by saying, “Don’t you worry about us.” After the Spyre meeting, Chaz posted the Bible verse on Twitter (X). At that point, everyone knew it was done. The agent wanted to play the hand out and make everyone worry, but we got the message. That’s the most backstory/context I’ve ever heard on private meetings, and definitely a good story.

Last edited:
The condensed version is that he contacted us in December. He always wanted to come here. When he and his mother spoke to Barnes in the Spring, he said he was going to be a Vol. They discussed his NIL with Spyre. It was basically the DK deal. Everyone was happy with that. The grad transfer portal change created some attention for him and his agent wanted to play their hand for a larger NIL. Lanie’s mother didn’t like that they had promised to come, were getting a good deal, and now he wanted more. That said, the market changed materially. They agreed to discuss the NIL again on his official visit. We adjusted the number up, but were not the highest. Before the NIL meeting, they sat with Rod, CRB and ZZ. They discussed him being the guy who could make them champions. Barnes said Lanier needed to know that he’d have to be a leader to justify making so much more than teammates. They talked about leadership, and selfishness and Barnes gave them a Bible quote about it. The agent participated in the end of the meeting to discuss the steps for making a decision. They would meet with Spyre, get offer, contemplate options and respond by Friday. The funny thing is he was trying to play the offer and get more by implying he hadn’t decided. His mother undermined that by saying, “Don’t you worry about us.” After the Spyre meeting, Chaz posted the Bible verse on Twitter (X). At that point, everyone knew it was done. The agent wanted to play the hand out and make everyone worry, but we got the message. That’s the most backstory/context I’ve ever heard on private meetings, and definitely a good story.
Stoerner Fumbles - Thank you for keeping us updated thru out this process. You are very appreciated. BTO also.

I sure wish you had insider information. Lol. Thank you for providing the information you are allowed to share to the rest of us. It is greatly appreciated!!

Sheesh. Really does put into picture how almost evil college agents are. Feels worse than agents of professionals. Your job as an agent is to get your client the best deal at the best fit for them and let them guide their destination. This guy sounds like a damn leech who had zero care for Lanier or what was best for him.

Man, agents suuuuuuuuuuck.

It will also be a little interesting if any more details come out regarding the Kentucky claim that they and Lanier “mutually agreed” they may not be the best fit after his visit there. If I were guessing based on what we know now, I’d imagine Lanier was just going through the motions there and had already made his decision before setting foot in Lexington. 🏀🍊🧡

In the committed tweet, Lanier is wearing No. 2. Gainey is No. 2. Wonder what’s up with that.

I try not to go to other fan boards, but Rupps Rafters could bill me $500 to read their board right now and I’d personally deliver the cash. It’s amazing.

Attachments

• IMG_7557.jpeg
    IMG_7557.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_7559.jpeg
    IMG_7559.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_7558.jpeg
    IMG_7558.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Sheesh. Really does put into picture how almost evil college agents are. Feels worse than agents of professionals. Your job as an agent is to get your client the best deal at the best fit for them and let them guide their destination. This guy sounds like a damn leech who had zero care for Lanier or what was best for him.

Man, agents suuuuuuuuuuck.
Really just doing what they were hired to do. Get their clients the most money. Probably wish they hadn't hired him 😕

It sounds as if the agent they hired is the reason behind this being a bigger headache than it should’ve been. It’s like yeah, he got Lanier more money but at what cost?

Hope he’s able to acclimate into the team well, very easy to add additional pressure on yourself to play well given you know you’re making more NIL than your teammates.

Also hope CRB & coaching staff doesn’t hold that over his head too.

Did Chaz already have the agent before the NCAA rule change forced him into the portal earlier than we and Chaz had planned and expected and he drew all the attention?

Did Chaz already have the agent before the NCAA rule change forced him into the portal earlier than we and Chaz had planned and expected and he drew all the attention?
Yes. These days going through the NBA process benefits from having an agent. Particularly if you don’t get called into the combine. They are able to get private workouts and feedback and pave the way for the following year. Him having an agent is just part of the process. I just thought it was funny that his mom was such a force.

It sounds as if the agent they hired is the reason behind this being a bigger headache than it should’ve been. It’s like yeah, he got Lanier more money but at what cost?

Hope he’s able to acclimate into the team well, very easy to add additional pressure on yourself to play well given you know you’re making more NIL than your teammates.

Also hope CRB & coaching staff doesn’t hold that over his head too.
Having an agent is normal business now. It didn’t hurt anything. The team is going to welcome Lanier, and I don’t think NIL will ever be brought up if he’s the player and leader they think he is. I like that ZZ was involved both days. This is going to be his team.

Yes. These days going through the NBA process benefits from having an agent. Particularly if you don’t get called into the combine. They are able to get private workouts and feedback and pave the way for the following year. Him having an agent is just part of the process. I just thought it was funny that his mom was such a force.
It makes sense that Chaz sought her counsel in a decision that was so influential on his future. Mom definitely steered him to the best place for his development, locker room, future prospects, and enjoyment. It's all about what is best for Chaz. She seems to be a hero like moms can be.

Last edited:
Really just doing what they were hired to do. Get their clients the most money. Probably wish they hadn't hired him 😕
It is possible that he established his best or preferred offer and excluded that value from the agents earnings calculation. It works in real estate contracts. No additional earnings, no value add worthy of commissioning on.

I don’t really get the agent hate. His job is to maximize Chaz’s earning potential and brand development, but it’s ultimately up to Chaz to decide what opportunities are best for him. It seems like that’s exactly what happened here. If he’d been steered to BYU, sure the agent is scum. But he ultimately ended up at UT, his agent just got him a little more money to do so. Seems like everyone wins here.

We have our own subset of fans that would behave that way if he had chosen UK or BYU. Each fanbase has them. Stupid people aren't unique to any one group. They're everywhere, unfortunately.

Yeah, I mean, we had fans bad mouthing certain players on our recent Elite 8 team. Lots of people cracking on Vescovi during his struggles throughout the season. I don’t really knock fanbases for their idiots. Everyone has them and it’s unavoidable. Social media has given a microphone for every idiot to anonymously say whatever they want.

VN Store

Back